Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Trip Reports > Trip Reports: Playa del Carmen and Riviera Maya
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2014   #46 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,671
I loved your report too...we are going to the Aventura in December...Honeymoon Suite...

And we also LOVED Sedona...let me know if you are looking for a great place to stay there....I know one.
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014   #47 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
I loved your report too...we are going to the Aventura in December...Honeymoon Suite...

And we also LOVED Sedona...let me know if you are looking for a great place to stay there....I know one.
Oooo swanky! I really wish we would have asked to see that suite. I saw the 360 degree video tour on their website, but want to see it in person.

Sure, give me a hotel rec in Sedona. I think we are only riding up for one night from Phoenix, but I would appreciate the tip.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014   #48 (permalink)
reposado
 
isomami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 1,037
Thanks for a great TR Maggie! Since I just started to plan our next trip to Playa, all restaurant tips are very welcome . It's been three years since our last visit, so my list need serious updating.

Regarding Cenote Azul, we never had the time to visit earlier but will sure try in December. How long did you need to walk from the highway to get there?
isomami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014   #49 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
Oooo swanky! I really wish we would have asked to see that suite. I saw the 360 degree video tour on their website, but want to see it in person.

Sure, give me a hotel rec in Sedona. I think we are only riding up for one night from Phoenix, but I would appreciate the tip.
These are all part of our "splurge" trip to the Grand Canyon. Most lovely B&B in Sedona with amazing views!

A Sunset Chateau B&B - Luxury Boutique Hotel - Sedona AZ

I also recommend this riverside restaurant for the most amazing, romantic dinner.....

Sedona Restaurants | Sedona Dining | L'Auberge de Sedona

In Phoenix Scottsdale Luxury Resort and Hotel | The Hermosa Inn (they have a great restaurant there called Lons) or the less expensive but still very nice Resorts in Phoenix | Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs | AZ, 85020 with a nice cliff top restaurant with a great night view of Phoenix.

Not inexpensive, but amazing!

Are you also going to the Grand Canyon?

Last edited by Jacko; 10-11-2014 at 09:22 AM..
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #50 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by isomami View Post
Thanks for a great TR Maggie! Since I just started to plan our next trip to Playa, all restaurant tips are very welcome . It's been three years since our last visit, so my list need serious updating.

Regarding Cenote Azul, we never had the time to visit earlier but will sure try in December. How long did you need to walk from the highway to get there?
Not far at all, it is pretty much directly off the highway. Unlike some other places and cenotes. Very easy to do by colectivo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
These are all part of our "splurge" trip to the Grand Canyon. Most lovely B&B in Sedona with amazing views!

A Sunset Chateau B&B - Luxury Boutique Hotel - Sedona AZ

I also recommend this riverside restaurant for the most amazing, romantic dinner.....

Sedona Restaurants | Sedona Dining | L'Auberge de Sedona

In Phoenix Scottsdale Luxury Resort and Hotel | The Hermosa Inn (they have a great restaurant there called Lons) or the less expensive but still very nice Resorts in Phoenix | Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs | AZ, 85020 with a nice cliff top restaurant with a great night view of Phoenix.

Not inexpensive, but amazing!

Are you also going to the Grand Canyon?
The Sunset Chateau B&B looks very nice! And surprisingly affordable. That is a contender for sure.

In Phoenix we will be staying at our friends' vacation house. They are in the southeast, I think it is Gilbert? But the restaurant tip is appreciated.

No Grand Canyon trip this time, Don has seen it before, I will get there one day for sure. I asked him why and he said "too cold/too far".
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #51 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
Not far at all, it is pretty much directly off the highway. Unlike some other places and cenotes. Very easy to do by colectivo.



The Sunset Chateau B&B looks very nice! And surprisingly affordable. That is a contender for sure.

In Phoenix we will be staying at our friends' vacation house. They are in the southeast, I think it is Gilbert? But the restaurant tip is appreciated.

No Grand Canyon trip this time, Don has seen it before, I will get there one day for sure. I asked him why and he said "too cold/too far".
It is a 2 hour drive from Sedona to the Grand Canyon.....just so you know, it is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my life. You should go.
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #52 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
It is a 2 hour drive from Sedona to the Grand Canyon.....just so you know, it is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my life. You should go.
I will definitely see it one day! I think I will be only riding on the bike on the way there, on the way home I will drive with the other women (they don't ride). Maybe I can talk them into a detour.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014   #53 (permalink)
reposado
 
isomami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
Not far at all, it is pretty much directly off the highway. Unlike some other places and cenotes. Very easy to do by colectivo.
Thanks! This time we'll definitely visit more cenotes.
isomami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014   #54 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by isomami View Post
Thanks! This time we'll definitely visit more cenotes.

They are wonderful- in the summer especially, to cool down.



We dove two days (both 2-tank dives) with Pluto Dive Shop. They had moved their shop from Fifth between Calles 38 and 40 to a little farther north and on Tenth.

We had gotten PADI OWDiver certified with Alberto and Barbara in 2008 so it was fun to dive with them again. Saw loads of fish, eels, rays, lobster, and a few barracuda.

Water was lovely and warm at 28C or so, but the visibility was not always that great. Coral at dives like Tortugas and Jardines seemed in surprisingly decent shape considering it was 6 years ago we saw those sites last.

On Friday, we headed to our favourite day trip spot of Akumal.

For early September it was amazingly crowded with snorkel groups being churned through the dive shop. Seems like there is no real 'low season' on this coast anymore.

We took a colectivo and walked in from the highway. It had changed from last time, you canno longer walk through the hotel grounds and sort of have to veer left to get to the road to Yal Ku and then cut through or directly beside the dive shop to get to the beach.

They herd you in there like cattle, we just breezed through and ignored them when they attempted to stop us to sell us a guided tour or make us sit through the educational video we had seen already on a previous trip. No problems.

We went snorkeling right away- took turns so someone could watch our stuff. Don saw a total of eight turtles....I saw ONE! That was the first time I went out. I saw three my second swim.

The most memorable thing I saw was the aforementioned big school of teeny tiny squid flashing colours. Very cool.

Oh and lots of smashed coral.

Beach looked gorgeous, much clearer than in PDC and far less seaweed (at least this day).





We shared a snack in between snorkels, read our books on our pareos, relaxed.

Then walked to Half Moon Bay and sat at La Buena Vida and had lunch and a snorkel there. Great huge brain corals! And a couple of small turtles.

LOTS of seaweed here.




On the walk back we saw a BIG group of coatis crossing the road near us....caught only one on camera. The babies are so cute.



The next day we flew home. Uneventful. Took a taxi to the airport instead of the bus, we got lazy I guess.

Was a good week, we got lots of relaxing in, had decent weather, and had some good food, which is really all we wanted for this trip.

About one week after we got home Don got very ill with what turned out to be Dengue Fever...at first it seemed like just a really bad flu but when he turned bright red and felt so awful he begged me to take him to Emerg, I knew it was not just flu. The doc said he was 99% sure and although the first test was inconclusive, the blood test he did a week later confirmed it to be Dengue.

Poor man, he was sicker than I have ever seen anyone. For almost 7 days (he missed five days of work, all week, and he NEVER calls in sick).

Anyway...wear your DEET if there are skeeters- and especially in the rainy season! He had quite a few bites, I had zero (they always prefer him).
__________________
until a week on Isla Mujeres!

until 2 weeks in Huatulco and Puerto Escondido!
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014   #55 (permalink)
reposado
 
isomami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 1,037
Dengue sounds scary, but great that he recovered. I've heard terrible stories on people getting sick for weeks. Thanks for warning!
isomami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014   #56 (permalink)
aņejo
 
bizzokiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philly
Posts: 1,701
Great report, thanks for sharing!
bizzokiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014   #57 (permalink)
reposado
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nebraska - Go Cornhuskers!
Posts: 1,073
As always, great report. Thanks!
lindalou61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014   #58 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by isomami View Post
Dengue sounds scary, but great that he recovered. I've heard terrible stories on people getting sick for weeks. Thanks for warning!

He is still not 100% by any means, but mostly back to normal. Thanks, I am glad he is better too- I am about as good of a nurse as he was a patient.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzokiki View Post
Great report, thanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalou61 View Post
As always, great report. Thanks!
Kind of you both, I know it was not as good as my usual- getting really lazy about taking photos when we go places we have been before.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014   #59 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Brent & Kim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Rockton Illinois
Posts: 10,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
Not far at all, it is pretty much directly off the highway. Unlike some other places and cenotes. Very easy to do by colectivo.



The Sunset Chateau B&B looks very nice! And surprisingly affordable. That is a contender for sure.

In Phoenix we will be staying at our friends' vacation house. They are in the southeast, I think it is Gilbert? But the restaurant tip is appreciated.

No Grand Canyon trip this time, Don has seen it before, I will get there one day for sure. I asked him why and he said "too cold/too far".
Sedona is amazing! Plan as much time as possible, head north towards Flagstaff on 89A, not 17 if you have the time,
Brent & Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014   #60 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent & Kim View Post
Sedona is amazing! Plan as much time as possible, head north towards Flagstaff on 89A, not 17 if you have the time,
Two full days. It looks really pretty! Can't wait.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.