Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Trip Reports > Trip Reports: Playa del Carmen and Riviera Maya
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2015   #16 (permalink)
life=playa
 
wired529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: saskatchewan
Posts: 998
They had all been to Playa before but their experience was limited to 5th Ave. and nothing more. So we took them on a little tour off of 5th to show them why we keep coming back to the same place. First stop was El Fogon for a great lunch. I purposely took them in an indirect route so they could see a little bit more than 5th offers. Of course my pics from this day aren't loaded on photobucket yet so you'll have to use your imagination for a while.
It was raining off and on, so we worked our way back down to 5th so the girls could get their tacky souvenir crap. With that accomplished, and feeling thirsty, we brought them to Manne's. One of the hubby's is from Germany and he really enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. Of course no stop at Manne's is complete until you down the customary shot of his homemade tequila, and looking back now, I can see that's where the real fun of this evening began.
From Manne's we hit Bad Boys next. I was met with some hesitant looks as I led them through the fence, going in the back way. Open mike night was accompanied by bucket after bucket of beer and we were soon all feeling no pain at all.
The last stop was at UmmaGumma. Angelo and Abril kept the drinks flowing the rest of the night and we all had a great time. Sometime during the evening, my darling wife passed the point of no return. I'll spare you all the gory details as I'm sure we have all been there, done that. My lovely sisters in law took care of my baby before they poured themselves into a taxi back to their resort leaving me to deal with the slobbery mess that was my wife.
wired529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015   #17 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 7,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by wired529 View Post
As it turned out, two of Diana's foster sisters and their spouses were staying just up the highway at the Ibersostar. We had made plans to hook up on Friday, but they decided to come in Wednesday as well. Apparently, one of the girls has a jealous streak and her hubby being around bikini clad beauties made her a tad intolerable and we were the remedy.

LucyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015   #18 (permalink)
life=playa
 
wired529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: saskatchewan
Posts: 998
The next day we had planned to head to Tulum beach for a while before heading into the Pueblo for massages I had found and booked with Margo on the sister site, Tuluminfo. Diana, however, was in no shape this morning for an excursion, so I watched the cruise ships while she tried to pull herself together.

She finally felt like moving so we worked our way down to La Cueva Del Chango for breakfast, a place we would frequent often during this trip. Our sweet server even brought Diana out a special drink to help her with her hangover.


Didn't do much the rest of the day, relaxed and read until it was time to head for Tulum for our massages. While Margo was with Diana, I toured around, finding a soccer field where I retrieved balls for the guys at practice for about 20 minutes before it was my turn on the table. I can't say enough about the massage! Margo is a special woman and I highly recommend a session with her. Look her up on Tuluminfo or her website, margoinmexico, you won't be disappointed.

We caught a colectivo back to Playa and headed to Don Mario's for supper before calling it a night. I love their onion soup.
wired529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015   #19 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 7,956
Love Cueva Del Chango. Do you remember what drink they brought Diana to help her? I'm sure I will need it when we are there in June.
LucyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015   #20 (permalink)
way into it
 
Montana SolMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Billings Montana
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by wired529 View Post
They had all been to Playa before but their experience was limited to 5th Ave. and nothing more. So we took them on a little tour off of 5th to show them why we keep coming back to the same place. First stop was El Fogon for a great lunch. I purposely took them in an indirect route so they could see a little bit more than 5th offers. Of course my pics from this day aren't loaded on photobucket yet so you'll have to use your imagination for a while.
It was raining off and on, so we worked our way back down to 5th so the girls could get their tacky souvenir crap. With that accomplished, and feeling thirsty, we brought them to Manne's. One of the hubby's is from Germany and he really enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. Of course no stop at Manne's is complete until you down the customary shot of his homemade tequila, and looking back now, I can see that's where the real fun of this evening began.
From Manne's we hit Bad Boys next. I was met with some hesitant looks as I led them through the fence, going in the back way. Open mike night was accompanied by bucket after bucket of beer and we were soon all feeling no pain at all.
The last stop was at UmmaGumma. Angelo and Abril kept the drinks flowing the rest of the night and we all had a great time. Sometime during the evening, my darling wife passed the point of no return. I'll spare you all the gory details as I'm sure we have all been there, done that. My lovely sisters in law took care of my baby before they poured themselves into a taxi back to their resort leaving me to deal with the slobbery mess that was my wife.
Ahh yes, the infamous free shot of tequila from Manne's. I remember it.......maybe I don't. All I know is it was one of the lost days in "How I lost 9 days in Playa"! Unfortunately for my lovely wife, I was the slobbery mess so I feel her pain. Love the report so far. Great start!

Last edited by Montana SolMan; 02-24-2015 at 11:17 PM..
Montana SolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015   #21 (permalink)
life=playa
 
wired529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: saskatchewan
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyE View Post
Love Cueva Del Chango. Do you remember what drink they brought Diana to help her? I'm sure I will need it when we are there in June.
It was something dark green...mineral water, salt, and possibly limes? I tasted it and all I can say is "YUCK". But it did do the job for her. Thinking it replaced a lot of electrolytes that she was lacking at the time.

Here's a tip for June. If you gp to Cueva Del Chango with a supreme hangover and you are not sure exactly where the contents of your stomach may end up, sit in the streetside outside courtyard. That way you can lean over onto the street if your tummy contents suddenly want to make an appearance.

Last edited by wired529; 02-24-2015 at 07:59 AM..
wired529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015   #22 (permalink)
life=playa
 
wired529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: saskatchewan
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana SolMan View Post
Ahh yes, the infamous free shot of tequila from Manne's. I remember it.......maybe I don't. All I know is it was one of the lost days in "How I lost 9 days in Playa"! Unfortunately for my lovely wife, I was the snobbery mess so I feel her pain. Love the report so far. Great start!
I didn't overindulge as much this year. Last year it was Manne's tequila that set me off on what can only be described as a spiritual adventure. Glad you are enjoying it. I know my writing isn't as eloquent as yours, but I'm trying.

I'll try to get some more done up Tonight or tomorrow. Boss brought me back a big assortment of dried chiles from Saskatoon yesterday so I'm making pozole rojo con pollo tomorrow. House is gonna smell wonderful when the wife gets home from work!

Last edited by wired529; 02-24-2015 at 08:02 AM..
wired529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015   #23 (permalink)
life=playa
 
wired529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: saskatchewan
Posts: 998
My deepest apologies. I realized that not only did I leave this trip report hanging halfway done, but I also neglected to finish up last year's report with Mr.Magoo. This is my solemn promise that this year's trip report will be submitted in it's entirety, complete with pictures and thought provoking words of wisdom or drunkenness, depending on the moment.
wired529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.