Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2015   #1 (permalink)
back again, again
 
kirbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 9,987
Exchange Rate

I see that the dollar is very strong right now, highest we've seen it in years. Has the area adjusted prices because of this or will we be getting lots of "good deals"??
kirbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015   #2 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyfan View Post
I see that the dollar is very strong right now, highest we've seen it in years. Has the area adjusted prices because of this or will we be getting lots of "good deals"??
I would guess a bit of both. Probably more good deals at less touristy places.
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015   #3 (permalink)
back again, again
 
kirbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 9,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
I would guess a bit of both. Probably more good deals at less touristy places.
GREAT because we dont go to touristy places if possible!
kirbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015   #4 (permalink)
añejo
 
snappysammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,066
no price changes i have noted because of the exchange
snappysammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015   #5 (permalink)
añejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,615
Nothing noticeable unless you buy USA beef.
Then it's super noticeable.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015   #6 (permalink)
reposado
 
Yucatanned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Petoskey Michigan
Posts: 1,486
Beer is cheaper by the day for us Yanks
Yucatanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015   #7 (permalink)
back again, again
 
kirbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 9,987
Ok well, sounds like my dollar buys more than it used to so thats a good thing!
kirbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015   #8 (permalink)
añejo
 
canadiense loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Red Deer,Alberta,Canada
Posts: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyfan View Post
Ok well, sounds like my dollar buys more than it used to so thats a good thing!
It sure does....assuming you are taking it out and paying in pesos.
The number of people I witnessed paying in USD and getting brutal exchanges this past trip was mind blowing.
canadiense loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015   #9 (permalink)
back again, again
 
kirbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 9,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiense loco View Post
It sure does....assuming you are taking it out and paying in pesos.
The number of people I witnessed paying in USD and getting brutal exchanges this past trip was mind blowing.
I know right!!! I tried to tell a guy one time that he should pay with peso's and not dollars as you got more value with the exchange rate. He replied, "I dont trust peso's".....I just walked away, how can you argue with logic like that!
kirbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015   #10 (permalink)
añejo
 
canadiense loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Red Deer,Alberta,Canada
Posts: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyfan View Post
I know right!!! I tried to tell a guy one time that he should pay with peso's and not dollars as you got more value with the exchange rate. He replied, "I dont trust peso's".....I just walked away, how can you argue with logic like that!


canadiense loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015   #11 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyfan View Post
I know right!!! I tried to tell a guy one time that he should pay with peso's and not dollars as you got more value with the exchange rate. He replied, "I dont trust peso's".....I just walked away, how can you argue with logic like that!
Just tell him to give you all of those 'useless' pesos - you'll find something to do with them, eventually
beam-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015   #12 (permalink)
añejo
 
WaterRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Posts: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyfan View Post
I know right!!! I tried to tell a guy one time that he should pay with peso's and not dollars as you got more value with the exchange rate. He replied, "I dont trust peso's".....I just walked away, how can you argue with logic like that!
And they vote.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015   #13 (permalink)
reposado
 
Yucatanned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Petoskey Michigan
Posts: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
And they vote.
Can't argue with stupid.. Best exchange I have ever seen for USA
Yucatanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015   #14 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 57
People don't seem to be charging more, just not adjusting their exchange rate for paying in USD. They are making a killing. i.e. Tequila Barrel gives 11 pesos per dollar.
preya001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015   #15 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by preya001 View Post
People don't seem to be charging more, just not adjusting their exchange rate for paying in USD. They are making a killing. i.e. Tequila Barrel gives 11 pesos per dollar.
Don't pay with dollars
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.