Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Trip Reports > Trip Reports: Other Countries
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2015   #1 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,252
Spain, Portugal, California

We are leaving in 10 days for a month in Spain and Portugal, followed by a few days in CA before we come back home to Mexico.

May not get many photos posted while we are en route, but will get some up at some point

Yes, now that we are immigrants to Mexico, California is in another country
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015   #2 (permalink)
añejo
 
Debbiec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northwestern New Jersey - in the boonies
Posts: 3,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
We are leaving in 10 days for a month in Spain and Portugal, followed by a few days in CA before we come back home to Mexico.

May not get many photos posted while we are en route, but will get some up at some point

Yes, now that we are immigrants to Mexico, California is in another country
I hope we get to hear ALL about it!! This is going to be a great adventure. I hope you and your wife have a wonderful time.
Debbiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015   #3 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,252
Rick Steves, in his guidebooks, recommends using a money belt in Spain and Portugal. Seems awkward to me. The other Sunday we were having lunch out with friends who have traveled France, Spain, Portugal and Italy (among other places).

I asked Tom about that piece of advice and what he did. He spoke very highly of Travelon anti-theft bags. After investigating them we have ordered three - a small one for Kathy, and backpack for me and a messenger bag.

Here is the link for anyone who might be interested.

Travelon Home

Here are photos of what we ordered. They all have locking zippers, etc...

Anti-Theft Classic Backpack



Anti-Theft Classic Light Convertible Crossbody and Waist Pack



Anti-Theft Urban® N/S Messenger Bag







roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015   #4 (permalink)
añejo
 
SharonD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,769
Have a great time! Can't wait to see your pics and hear of all the great meals, people and places you have ahead of you!
SharonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015   #5 (permalink)
añejo
 
Debbiec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northwestern New Jersey - in the boonies
Posts: 3,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
Rick Steves, in his guidebooks, recommends using a money belt in Spain and Portugal. Seems awkward to me. The other Sunday we were having lunch out with friends who have traveled France, Spain, Portugal and Italy (among other places).

I asked Tom about that piece of advice and what he did. He spoke very highly of Travelon anti-theft bags. After investigating them we have ordered three - a small one for Kathy, and backpack for me and a messenger bag.

Here is the link for anyone who might be interested.

Travelon Home

Here are photos of what we ordered. They all have locking zippers, etc...

Anti-Theft Classic Backpack



Anti-Theft Classic Light Convertible Crossbody and Waist Pack



Anti-Theft Urban® N/S Messenger Bag







I've spent time in Spain and Italy, and despite all the "warnings" I never felt like I was in danger of being pickpocketed. Having said that, my daughter's iPhone was stolen right off a table in Starbuck's in Barcelona, while she was sitting RIGHT THERE.
We were shaken down by gypsy children in Paris, right around Notre Dame, but that was the extent of it.

I think some of this is kind of like..."OMG, do NOT go to Mexico, you'll get KILLED by the cartels"... but it is always good to protect yourself to where you're comfortable.

These bags look great - and I'll bet you'll be fine....ENJOY
Debbiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015   #6 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 889
Just be cautious. I was wearing a backpack Spain and someone tried grabbing stuff from the bag while I was buying a train ticket. I only ever keep important things in my pant pockets. I hate money belts. Like anywhere pay attention to the things that are important to you.
westallismiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015   #7 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 889
Can Paixano in Barcelona!
westallismiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015   #8 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,928
Yeah, front pant pocket and just skip La Rambla (because frankly there's nothing to look for on that stretch and you can go to La Boqueria on a back street) and you should be ok anywhere in Spain and Portugal.
ProfessorPibil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015   #9 (permalink)
añejo
 
Debbiec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northwestern New Jersey - in the boonies
Posts: 3,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorPibil View Post
Yeah, front pant pocket and just skip La Rambla (because frankly there's nothing to look for on that stretch and you can go to La Boqueria on a back street) and you should be ok anywhere in Spain and Portugal.
Yep, that Starbucks was right on La Rambla. Funny (or not so funny) thing was, it was at the end of her 5 month semester and she had been gloating that the silly foolish girls who got drunk at stupid clubs always had their stuff stolen - phones, ID, passports, wallets....but noooooo, not her.

then...she's eating a croissant or something, and....whooooosh

I was NOT happy.
Debbiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015   #10 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,671
Always be careful of pickpockets in crowded areas...I find this good advice the world over....I bought a money belt on Rick Steves advice, but I too find it awkward...I prefer nice looking travel pants with zippered pockets....I think this works just as well...
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015   #11 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorPibil View Post
Yeah, front pant pocket and just skip La Rambla (because frankly there's nothing to look for on that stretch and you can go to La Boqueria on a back street) and you should be ok anywhere in Spain and Portugal.
Ya, I enjoyed the quick stroll down La Rambla, but with limited time I would say it can be skipped. I would also skip Boqueria. There are about a dozen other markets in Barcelona and most of them are better than Boqueria. I spent nearly two weeks there though, so we did much more than just the highlights.
westallismiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015   #12 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,252
Left Newark at 7:30 pm. Flew for about 8 hours and got to Barcelona at 8:30 am local time. Got through immigration and customs, had a cuppa coffee and took a cab to our hotel. Had two hours to burn before our room was ready so we walked around the area. very cool.

We are going to crash soon for a bit. If we sleep past supper - really late here - I havee some jamon, cheese and bollilos in our kitceh, and a bottle of a nice Rioja Crianza

Oh, must have slept about 3 hours in the past 28.
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #13 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
Had two hours to burn before our room was ready so we walked around the area. very cool.

We are going to crash soon for a bit. If we sleep past supper - really late here - I havee some jamon, cheese and bollilos in our kitceh, and a bottle of a nice Rioja Crianza
What area are you staying?

Sleep through dinner in Spain! I don't think you are trying hard enough to find a dinner spot if you do that.

I was in my very early 20s when I first went to Spain and a nice bottle of Crianza from Rioja turned me on to red wine. Sounds like a perfect little meal too, bread, cheese and Jamon!!!
westallismiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #14 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,252
Barcelona is amazing. The Eixample area, where we are staying, has broad boulevards and sidewalks filled with cafes and tapas places. Tomorrow a 8 hour tour of Gaudi architecture and the old city.
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.