Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Trip Reports > Trip Reports: Playa del Carmen and Riviera Maya
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2015   #31 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,208
Great report. Thanks!!
roni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #32 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 7,956
We were not that impressed with El Oasis either. The gang said it was good, but not great.
LucyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #33 (permalink)
way into it
 
EricaBrooke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 242
Love love love this report!! It was EXACTLY what I needed to read to cheer me up!! Getting married on Saturday and I'm close to ripping all my hair out!! I need a little bracelet that says "Playa" on it to remind me I'll be there on Monday!!!!!! Thank you!!
EricaBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #34 (permalink)
life=playa
 
policegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 642
Thank you so so much for the trip report and pics!! I hate that nobody does them anymore hardly, they are a life saver for those of us who don't get to go anywhere anymore lol...
policegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #35 (permalink)
reposado
 
jackjackattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmond Oklahoma....Go Pokes!
Posts: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by policegirl View Post
Thank you so so much for the trip report and pics!! I hate that nobody does them anymore hardly, they are a life saver for those of us who don't get to go anywhere anymore lol...

You are most welcome! Been a terrible 2 weeks of work. Hoping to get the next 4 days in this week.
jackjackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015   #36 (permalink)
into ruins
 
mcoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chapin, SC
Posts: 71
Great report and pictures Jack. We leave in 7 days! I'll try to post an abbreviated report with pictures.
mcoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #37 (permalink)
añejo
 
melliedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 30,541
Great report! How was your 7 miler in the heat? Or is it okay early enough?

This made me want a vacation badly!
melliedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #38 (permalink)
añejo
 
angelhouston819's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dallas (Addison) Texas
Posts: 10,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyE View Post
We were not that impressed with El Oasis either. The gang said it was good, but not great.
we weren't impressed at all with El Oasis. we left most of our food on the plate. such a shame as i used to LOVE their shrimp tacos at the old location.
angelhouston819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #39 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 7,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelhouston819 View Post
we weren't impressed at all with El Oasis. we left most of our food on the plate. such a shame as i used to LOVE their shrimp tacos at the old location.
Since I am not a seafood eater, all I had was guacamole... and it was just ok imo

Can't wait for October/November to get my fix in of chilaquilles, guacamole and arrachera!
LucyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #40 (permalink)
reposado
 
jackjackattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmond Oklahoma....Go Pokes!
Posts: 1,073
Thursday we start off the day with breakfast (which you've seen) and we plan on renting bikes and riding around town. First we go down to Ah Cacao for a chocolate fix. I talked about how we came across an article about the benefits of dark chocolate. We've all heard that, but this went into much greater detail. Especially how it helps against sunburns. I like many of us, get red in Playa, even when taking all the precautions.....I peel every trip at least by the time I get home if not sooner.
Well this trip I never peeled, and really didn't get too red either. We both saw the benefits of adding cocoa to our diet on a daily basis leading up to our trip. I'm going to post the articles that brought this to our attention.
1 tablespoon has become a daily addition to our protein drinks at home.



We stopped daily for a chocolate fix here!


Really love their dark chocolate....buy our favorite mexican (gaya) vanilla here too.


Well we went down to our old trusted bike rental shop on 10ave and Calle 8 I believe. Bikes are pretty crappy, but do the trick, lol. We were off to ride around and meet a friend for lunch at Ferron's chicken!


Betty repping her Dental Depot shirt!



It truly is amazing just how many new condos are going up all over town. Its crazy. Sometimes I think there will be a glut on the market someday and I'll steal one cheap!!!!



Its Pizza Mondo! Sue gave a very good report on this place. Around 90th ave and Constituyentes. Didn't get to try it this trip, but its down for the future.....If its still there!

Ring my bell! And really, its a must in some areas!


Boy it was a hot ride. Once you get away from the beach, it was brutal this trip. I hear it still is. Anyways, a few more pics before Ferrons Jerk Chicken!

Tortillas anyone?


Is that the famous Little Caesars???? Why yes it is! Its waaaayy west of the tourists though.


Well, its about 12:30 and time for lunch. We meet a local from Playa.info here as his place isn't to far away. He says why not get it to go and head back to his house. He's got beer!!! I say hell yes!


What a spread! Jerk chicken, which we really liked. Great salsa, homemade guac, and Leon beer! We got a chicken and a half I think, and it was more than plenty. Enjoyed a great meal and hospitality with our friend. It was worth the trip out west!


A couple of items our friend turned us on too.


Mexico is a yogurt drinking place. They have more yogurt for sale in Mega than just about anything, lol. We really loved the drinkable stuff. FYI

Well, we rode back and dropped off the bikes around 3pm and walked over to Wah Wah's to cool off and catch Mike Grabaw. Betty was happy to find Mike! She loves listening to him sing.


Staying with the dark beer theme! Thanks to my buddy Nick, for turning me on to this beer. Really enjoy it!


Hey we ran into one of the first of many friends who are rolling into town this weekend and next week too, AFTER we already leave. Oh well, that happens. Good to see Tom again. Got to spend more time with him than we had last May when we met him. We knocked back quite a few before walking over to Bad Boys to see some more friends who had gotten into town today!
Pablo with the photo bomb!

We spent some time at Bad Boys with Jeff, Serena, and Tom.....ended up everyone going their own way. Can't recollect what we did. I know we had to go back to Soho cause we had 8pm reservations at Oh lala!

Heading out and then food pics!!!! lol


Starter...cheese and bread.


Mussels in wine for me to begin!


Ahi Tuna cooked to perfection!

Betty's steak.....always cooked perfectly.


Always the best part of the night! Time with my wife of 32 years!


Well heck! What a day. I'm super tired just posting this stuff. We had a looooong day of biking, eating, drinking, eating, drinking, walking, sunning. We can't do anything else can we??

YES!!! We must cool off!
Tequila ice cream of course!!!

We walk on down 5th ave heading north. Its after 10pm and Grabaw was playing at Luna Blue tonight, but he should be done. We walk over quickly and take a peek. Yep, he's finishing up, but he and his wife are still there, and a handful of people. We take a swing, and he knows Betty loves her some Johnny Cash, so Mike obliged with another 30 minutes of music for us. Damn fine of him to take care of us like that. We really enjoyed that. Had quite a few tequila shots that gave us a little energy.

Walked back down to 5th and there was quite the commotion up the street. It was after 11pm and the street vendors were packing up. Loved this piece of art


The commotion was Chopperia's first anniversary party. Quite the crowd. We partook!


Guess what? They were still shooting the movie there at the hotel on what was it, 28th and 5th ave? Don't remember, but they shot late in the night and early in the moorings.....Betty talking with one of the actors I think during a break.



Well, we enjoyed the festivities there, and right beside Chopperia is a little bar on the corner that had a 3 piece jazz band going. Really enjoyed that as well. Our hotel had rented out the rooftop for a private party tonight, and we didn't want to hurry back as our room is under the pool area. Well, we got back after 1am, and the party was going strong and loud. It was like they were playing musical chairs on the roof above our room. Chairs sliding around. Well, we had enough drink in us to where I passed out and never heard them again. My wife was woke up at 2:30 to the sound of the employees taking the cover off the pool after the party had ended. Using drills, and making tons of noise...I guess it kept her up till nearly 4am. I let them know that was terrible customer service on their part.
We had a great trip at Soho, and this was upsetting. Didn't ruin it at all, as she got plenty of sleep, but it was stupid on their part. I did get a free night from them which I'm using in October after we spend 8 nights at The Artisan!! Love that as we get to enjoy all of Sunday instead of leaving late in the day. We are flying out at 7am, but thats ok....gets us home early in the day. Betty hates coming home the day before she works, but she gave me the ok since we would be home around noon! They were very apologetic and tried to make it right. We did appreciate that.

Oh well, just another thursday in Playa!!!! Tomorrow its cenote time!!!
__________________
8 previous years...2012,Be Playa
playa may 2013....Porta Playa Condo
playa oct 2013....Aventura Mexicana
tulum oct 2013....La Zebra
playa may 2014....Illusions
Playa oct 2014 (Halloween!)...Casa la Galeria
Tulum oct 2014.....Mezzanine
playa may 2015....SOHO
playa oct 2015....The Artisan Handmade Hotel
playa feb 2016....airbnb
playa may 2016....La Pasion
playa/akumal nov/dec 2016....Fiesta Inn/Del Sol

[]
jackjackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #41 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 7,956
Missing that tequila ice cream!
LucyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015   #42 (permalink)
reposado
 
jackjackattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmond Oklahoma....Go Pokes!
Posts: 1,073
So where did we leave off.....oh yeah, its friday, and we are going to the cenotes!

First its breakfast downstairs and off to catch a ride!


Our driver has a pink steering wheel! We got the front seats too.


Cenote Azul and cenote Eden sit right beside each other on 307 south of town about 20 minutes or so. The collectivo dropped us off and we made the short walk. Both are very beautiful. Eden is our favorite. Here is a few pics......



We spent a good 3+ hours swimming, and jumping in from trees, etc....have some good video, but can't get it to load. We hitched a ride back to the highway, crossed the road and caught a collectivo in about 60 seconds. Headed back to town and he cut through down 6th and we ended up next to El Fogon. It was a sign that we were meant to eat then and there! Yay!


We went back to Soho and showered and changed and then made our way to Wah Wah's for afternoon tunes and Betty got another massage at Bad Boys. I don't have any picture evidence, but I bet I drank a lot of beer! Thumbs up!


We spent Friday night with friends who were going to leave us the next morning. Time has erased the memory of what we actually did that night. Dinner? Not sure, lol. We DID go to the rooftop at The Palm on Calle 8. There was some major wingding going on. Lots of press, and pics with famous actors or something. Crazy busy downstairs. Upstairs it was as awesome as always. Jay ordered the tacos. There were not many, but they were the best. Waitress said they were the best thing on the menu, and everyone agreed. Can't wait to try them again in early October!!!!


Its always fun to spend an evening with friends in Playa! I can't remember much about the details of saturday, but i do know that the day before we leave is a MAJOR shopping day for the wife. She loves to get little items for friends and co workers, and more than a little for herself too. I"m the pack mule. See ya mañana!

Last edited by jackjackattack; 08-20-2015 at 05:31 PM..
jackjackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015   #43 (permalink)
syl
añejo
 
syl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: santa ynez
Posts: 8,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackjackattack View Post
So where did we leave off.....oh yeah, its friday, and we are going to the cenotes!

First its breakfast downstairs and off to catch a ride!


Our driver has a pink steering wheel! We got the front seats too.


Cenote Azul and cenote Eden sit right beside each other on 307 south of town about 20 minutes or so. The collectivo dropped us off and we made the short walk. Both are very beautiful. Eden is our favorite. Here is a few pics......



We spent a good 3+ hours swimming, and jumping in from trees, etc....have some good video, but can't get it to load. We hitched a ride back to the highway, crossed the road and caught a collectivo in about 60 seconds. Headed back to town and he cut through down 6th and we ended up next to El Fogon. It was a sign that we were meant to eat then and there! Yay!


We went back to Soho and showered and changed and then made our way to Wah Wah's for afternoon tunes and Betty got another massage at Bad Boys. I don't have any picture evidence, but I bet I drank a lot of beer! Thumbs up!


We spent Friday night with friends who were going to leave us the next morning. Time has erased the memory of what we actually did that night. Dinner? Not sure, lol. We DID go to the rooftop at The Palm on Calle 8. There was some major wingding going on. Lots of press, and pics with famous actors or something. Crazy busy downstairs. Upstairs it was as awesome as always. Jay ordered the tacos. There were not many, but they were the best. Waitress said they were the best thing on the menu, and everyone agreed. Can't wait to try them again in early October!!!!


Its always fun to spend an evening with friends in Playa! I can't remember much about the details of saturday, but i do know that the day before we leave is a MAJOR shopping day for the wife. She loves to get little items for friends and co workers, and more than a little for herself too. I"m the pack mule. See ya mañana!
Did you prefer one cenote of the other? And is the palm a new resturant?
syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015   #44 (permalink)
reposado
 
jackjackattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmond Oklahoma....Go Pokes!
Posts: 1,073
We liked the Garden of Eden the best. Could jump out of the trees, making for a long jump down! Gorgeous.

The Palm is located on Calle 8, between 5th and 10th ave. Its a pretty high end condo, with one of the best rooftop pools, bars, and views in town! They have a restaurant below, and do serve food items up on the roof, but I have never thought of the place as a go to for food.
jackjackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015   #45 (permalink)
syl
añejo
 
syl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: santa ynez
Posts: 8,120
Just continue your new trip report here!
syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.