Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > All Inclusive / Big Resorts
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2016   #1 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3
Question IB Quetzal/Tucan

Hi, All.

We are considering a booking for late October at either Quetzal or Tucan. Is there any reason to pick one over the other since they seem to be the same location?

One question we have is that quetzal offers ocean front junior suites as the highest level (aside from presidential), and Tucan offers ocean front junior suite or Superior ocean front junior suite. What is the difference? The only thing I see in the description is that the superiors say they have direct Beach access. Does that mean it's ground floor? That seems like a minus for me since the view would b obstructed by trees and Palapas and beach chairs, but the price is higher.

We are a married couple in out late 40's by the way. We've stayed at Viva Maya (way back in 01 when our sone was 12) and a couple AIs in Cancun since then. Also stayed Ina condo in PDC a few years ago. We liked AI better.

Thank you.

Melissa & Jim

Last edited by MelissaInAK; 04-03-2016 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: Added more info
MelissaInAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016   #2 (permalink)
very sparkly
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 34
You will be able to get a quick answer by visiting Iberostar Tucan y Quetzal Vacation on FaceBook. It is a closed group but joining is quick and easy. Lots and lots of info.
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016   #3 (permalink)
life=playa
 
rainbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: southeastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaInAK View Post
Hi, All.

We are considering a booking for late October at either Quetzal or Tucan. Is there any reason to pick one over the other since they seem to be the same location?

One question we have is that quetzal offers ocean front junior suites as the highest level (aside from presidential), and Tucan offers ocean front junior suite or Superior ocean front junior suite. What is the difference? The only thing I see in the description is that the superiors say they have direct Beach access. Does that mean it's ground floor? That seems like a minus for me since the view would b obstructed by trees and Palapas and beach chairs, but the price is higher.

We are a married couple in out late 40's by the way. We've stayed at Viva Maya (way back in 01 when our sone was 12) and a couple AIs in Cancun since then. Also stayed Ina condo in PDC a few years ago. We liked AI better.

Thank you.

Melissa & Jim
...we stay just a resort away from the iberostar quetzal/tucan complex, and the beach is beautiful there...the resorts are both very nice...if you enjoyed the viva maya, i'm sure you won't be disappointed with either of these resorts...
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #4 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Tracielynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 417
Tucan and Quetzel are basically the same. Only different décor. Great place!! No obstructed views if you stay in ocean front.
Tracielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016   #5 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracielynn View Post
Tucan and Quetzel are basically the same. Only different décor. Great place!! No obstructed views if you stay in ocean front.
This is incorrect. The Ocean/Beach from rooms at the Tucan the view is mostly blocked by trees and sets back mucg firther from the ocean whereas the same room at the Quetzal is closer to the actual beach and much better view of the Ocean. Have stayed in both and I would not pay the upgrade for the Tucan only the Quetzal

View from 2nd floor Quetzall
Attached Images
 
LightsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016   #6 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Smudger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ENGLAND
Posts: 786
Tucan/Quetzal

Just a query if anybody knows why the hotel is charging extra if you want
a room in blocks nearer to the beach? My daughter has been going to
this hotel for years now and is even considering getting married there
next year, but they don't take loyalty into consideration at all.
I am quite disappointed myself as we wanted to celebrate our 40th
wedding anniversary there, also it is very expensive when you travel
from the UK we will just have to see how things go and if our daughter
still wants to get married there. other than that little moan we love this
hotel and have stayed in both sides,
Smudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016   #7 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 189
Simple, Because they can, All the rest are doing it, pay for placement. just like real estate the closer the beach the more the $$$.

As and old time fan of the IB T/Q we have long moved on. There are too many adults only resorts that are so much better especially the rooms and the food.

Take a look at The Valentin Imperial Maya resort a little bit more in cost but leaps and bounds in quality.

frankly for us with all the growth and commercialism in Playa 3 days is about all we can handle anymore. With that said look outside of Playacar, there are lots of great flavors in the region
LightsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016   #8 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Smudger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ENGLAND
Posts: 786
Yes I must agree with you, you get what you pay for.
The only problem with us is we are not keen on change, we found that
we loved the hotel , food etc..and the fact it isn't far from 5th......
and at our age we don't like the thought of going somewhere else.
and this hotel suits us perfectly. LOL
Smudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017   #9 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
rkm0813's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 314
Does anyone know what they charge for a day pass at Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal? Friends of ours are staying in Cancun and want to visit when we are there.
rkm0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017   #10 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 189
It was about $80 per person if I remember correctly and they must be out by 5-6pm
LightsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017   #11 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
rkm0813's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightsOut View Post
It was about $80 per person if I remember correctly and they must be out by 5-6pm
Thanks!
rkm0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017   #12 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightsOut View Post
It was about $80 per person if I remember correctly and they must be out by 5-6pm
I just called them this morning. They gave me a quote of $1008 pesos from the hours of 8am to 6pm. I asked them to quote me in pesos vs USD because your money goes further in pesos.

I'll be going there next month with my group on the day pass
Cat88L3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017   #13 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
rkm0813's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat88L3 View Post
I just called them this morning. They gave me a quote of $1008 pesos from the hours of 8am to 6pm. I asked them to quote me in pesos vs USD because your money goes further in pesos.

I'll be going there next month with my group on the day pass
So that is around $45 US??
rkm0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017   #14 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
Yes, around $47 USD. But be sure to pay in pesos or you can use your credit card that doesn't have a foreign transaction fee. That way, you will get the best rate vs using USD
Cat88L3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017   #15 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Smudger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ENGLAND
Posts: 786
Wedding in September

I am so excited we booked last Sept 2016...for this Sept 2017!!
our daughter is getting married on the beach and I am so happy for her.
We are also celebrating our Ruby Wedding as well. So such a lot to
look forward to. We have stayed at this hotel (Tucan/Quetzal) three
times now and each time was better than the last.
Our daughter has been to these hotels about 11 times now and she is never disappointed.
So roll on September!!
Smudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.