Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2016   #1 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 6
Internet speed and reliability

I plan on visiting PDC for two weeks in December of this year to determine if I want to move there next Spring from Chicago.

The most important thing I'll need is fast, reliable internet. I saw a thread here from last year that talked about this, but I didn't get from that thread that anyone actually had service that was reliable enough for work purposes.

I'm working for a company based in the US; they will probably forgive one instance of me not being able to host a webex due to Internet problems. After that, I could be in serious trouble.

I'd love to get some recent insight on the status of Internet reliability there.
MXBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016   #2 (permalink)
añejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXBound View Post
I plan on visiting PDC for two weeks in December of this year to determine if I want to move there next Spring from Chicago.

The most important thing I'll need is fast, reliable internet. I saw a thread here from last year that talked about this, but I didn't get from that thread that anyone actually had service that was reliable enough for work purposes.

I'm working for a company based in the US; they will probably forgive one instance of me not being able to host a webex due to Internet problems. After that, I could be in serious trouble.

I'd love to get some recent insight on the status of Internet reliability there.
Not terribly consistent.
Ranging from dismal to around 20mb download.
Upload speeds fall into the range of horrendous to sucking.
If your internet does go down you can usually expect a three day to two week response time.
Other than that...internet service here is great.

Oh..and to add - Telmex is installing fiber optic lines (where, I don't know) which should greatly improve speeds - up and down.
Babaloo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016   #3 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
Not terribly consistent.
Ranging from dismal to around 20mb download.
Upload speeds fall into the range of horrendous to sucking.
If your internet does go down you can usually expect a three day to two week response time.
Other than that...internet service here is great.

Oh..and to add - Telmex is installing fiber optic lines (where, I don't know) which should greatly improve speeds - up and down.
Wow.

Welp...this is actually enough for me to completely axe my plans for scoping out PDC as a place to live then.
MXBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016   #4 (permalink)
Resident Moderator

 
Susie Q Roo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Q Roo
Posts: 17,620
Some people have more than one internet source for this very reason.
Susie Q Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016   #5 (permalink)
añejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXBound View Post
Wow.

Welp...this is actually enough for me to completely axe my plans for scoping out PDC as a place to live then.
I know a lot of people here that rely on the Internet for work and it can be a frustrating experience.
We have two main providers - Telmex (DSL) and IZZI (Cable). Like Susie said, some people sign up for both services so they will have a backup.
Babaloo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016   #6 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
I know a lot of people here that rely on the Internet for work and it can be a frustrating experience.
We have two main providers - Telmex (DSL) and IZZI (Cable). Like Susie said, some people sign up for both services so they will have a backup.
That makes sense and sounds like a viable plan to have a backup provider.

I'd love to hear from those who are doing this.

I still think it's probably not a wise decision for me. As much as I would love to have this once in a lifetime opportunity, if my work starts to slip at all due to internet reliability, I could jeopardize my job. I hold meetings with colleagues in varying countries once a week; my boss will no patience or tolerability past 1 instance of a "break in service" or issue that causes me to be late or not be able to effectively run one of these meetings.

Of course, I have experienced technical issues from here in the US...but if I decide to move management will definitely be quicker to catch this sort of thing and have issues with it.
MXBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016   #7 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 6
I did see a coworking space (forgot the name of it...will have to look it up...) that's fairly new there that has gotten very good reviews.

But it's $250/month and I thought that was pretty steep! Not sure how I feel about that as I'd prefer to actually be able to work from home reliably. Plus one of my primary motivations for moving is to cut down on my expenses (i.e. housing). An expensive coworking space sounds counterproductive...
MXBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016   #8 (permalink)
añejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXBound View Post
I did see a coworking space (forgot the name of it...will have to look it up...) that's fairly new there that has gotten very good reviews.

But it's $250/month and I thought that was pretty steep! Not sure how I feel about that as I'd prefer to actually be able to work from home reliably. Plus one of my primary motivations for moving is to cut down on my expenses (i.e. housing). An expensive coworking space sounds counterproductive...

Homepage » Nest | Coworking Space
Babaloo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016   #9 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 252
I've been consulting out of the area for 5 years now. The first year sucked trying to figure out how to have reliable communications to the states, it's only gotten better. It can be done assuming:

1. you do not need to move large files quickly (if you do, do not come here, it just will not work) Works for e-mail and document movement, but I would cringe if I had to work with video or graphic files.
2. you do not depend on VOIP as your way to communicate with clients all the time, data packet reliability is just not good and there is too much drop out if someone is paying to hear what you have to say
3. you have a back up internet source

I live in the "sticks", not Playa, so I use PlayaWireless. Speed is not good, but reliability over the last few years has been acceptable. I do not think we've lost service for more than a few days but one time, and our outages are currently in the <1hr range once or so a week, if that. I have a IUSACELL phone package which gives me unlimited calls to the US and Canada (I use these with a US based dial in service to do all of my teleconferences). It also gives me enough data to back up PlayaWireless when they go down or are too slow to load files or run GoToMeeting.

Odd thing, lately when calling the US with my IUSACELL # it has been showing up as "Iran" on people's mobile phones? Try explaining to someone that it's you and they should pick up with Iran showing up.

Up side to the area is the CUN airport, relatively cheap flights to the US and EU and a lot of direct ones. In air miles Cancun is about the same distance as Houston to NYC. It's the San Francisco flights that seem long.

Good Luck
reddogmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016   #10 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
Yep...that's it
MXBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016   #11 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogmax View Post
I've been consulting out of the area for 5 years now. The first year sucked trying to figure out how to have reliable communications to the states, it's only gotten better. It can be done assuming:

1. you do not need to move large files quickly (if you do, do not come here, it just will not work) Works for e-mail and document movement, but I would cringe if I had to work with video or graphic files.
2. you do not depend on VOIP as your way to communicate with clients all the time, data packet reliability is just not good and there is too much drop out if someone is paying to hear what you have to say
3. you have a back up internet source

I live in the "sticks", not Playa, so I use PlayaWireless. Speed is not good, but reliability over the last few years has been acceptable. I do not think we've lost service for more than a few days but one time, and our outages are currently in the <1hr range once or so a week, if that. I have a IUSACELL phone package which gives me unlimited calls to the US and Canada (I use these with a US based dial in service to do all of my teleconferences). It also gives me enough data to back up PlayaWireless when they go down or are too slow to load files or run GoToMeeting.

Odd thing, lately when calling the US with my IUSACELL # it has been showing up as "Iran" on people's mobile phones? Try explaining to someone that it's you and they should pick up with Iran showing up.

Up side to the area is the CUN airport, relatively cheap flights to the US and EU and a lot of direct ones. In air miles Cancun is about the same distance as Houston to NYC. It's the San Francisco flights that seem long.

Good Luck
Thank you for the very insightful post!

I definitely could not do without Internet access for an entire day whatsoever. In a dire circumstance, if both home connections went out I assume I could do a coworking space or a cafe for a day...?

I don't meet any of the three criteria you mention above. I wonder if it's worth still coming in December and trying out doing some work while there...

ETA: you mentioned service not being reliable enough to always to run GoToMeeting. That's concerning as I need to run Webex almost daily. I do have a company phone with a data plan through AT&T...

Last edited by MXBound; 09-11-2016 at 12:27 PM..
MXBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016   #12 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXBound View Post
ETA: you mentioned service not being reliable enough to always to run GoToMeeting. That's concerning as I need to run Webex almost daily. I do have a company phone with a data plan through AT&T...
My service with PlayaWireless often has lags that make screen sharing painful on GTM. I can usually switch over to my IUSACELL and get er done that way, I would guess the land lines in Playa would be better, but that is only a guess.

IUSACELL is ATT these days so that might help.

I will say my IUSACELL phone seems to work better for data where I live in the sticks than in Playa, not sure if it's my imagination or reality.

December/January is one of the best times to see if it will work. For me internet speeds go down the proverbial toilet during the high season. I have always assumed too many tourist streaming movies etc etc.
reddogmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016   #13 (permalink)
Life=Playa (almost)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 4,497
Reddog- I also show up as Iran via Telcel. I keep waiting for the NSA to show up at my family & friends' houses!
u2girlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016   #14 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Playa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Playa Del Carmen
Posts: 339
If you come you will struggle even with a backup. Guaranteed. No doubt about it.

If you job depends on video conferencing then this area of Mexico might not be the best destination for you.

Just telling it as it is
Playa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016   #15 (permalink)
life=playa
 
jlsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 618
Please note there are areas in Playa without either Telmex (Infinitum) or Cablemas/Izzi coverage.

The Downtown/Centro area has both for sure. That would be your best bet. You'd definitely would be better off with a backup service.

The aforementioned Telmex's fiber optic has been already installed in the downtown area, starting from Juarez and going North, growing slowly (not yet in my area, around Calle 40 and 30 Ave). Also, it looks like some areas on the other side of the highway, like the Ejido, already have optic fiber.

Even without optic fiber, Telmex's service is pretty reliable, however, most likely you wouldn't get very high speeds without optic fiber (10 Mbps tops if you are located near a connection center [phone station?]).

I've rented a studio to Internet-based IT guys who have worked from it for a couple of months, and they said the Izzi 10 and 20 Mbps connections were OK. I had the Telmex connection available for them, if needed, but they never asked me for the password, so I assume they didn't need it.

12 years in Playa living in the same place, so I have no other first hand experience on the topic.

Hope that helps.

Edit:
Forgot to mention: when Wilma hurricane (worst Atlantic hurricane ever) hit Playa back in 2005, Cablemas (now Izzi) service was down for around 2 weeks, while Telmex's service never came down!

Last edited by jlsl; 09-14-2016 at 09:06 AM..
jlsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.