Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2016   #1 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2
Emergency medical help

My father recently (2 weeks ago) moved to playa to start an early retirement. Two days ago he had a massive heart attack and stroke. I just got a call from the American consul yesterday night and arrived today. He has no insurance and is not well off, and he is currently in a public hospital, and after going there today, it's just different than the medical system to which I am accustomed.


There is a huge language barrier as I don't speak any Spanish nor does he, and most of the people we interact with speak limited English. Basically, I am in a panic. I am young-ish and this is the first major responsibility I've had to take on. Basically, I just need help/advice. Would anybody be willing to help translate/advocate so my father doesn't get ****ed over? He is no longer thinking clearly. And advice on hospitals would be helpful.


He can fly in one week from the heart attack (Thursday) and I would like to bring him back to the us, but I don't know with no insurance. But that's a question for the future. Right now I just need him stabilized and given the best care to ideally minimize future complications and maximize recovery.


I know this is all over the place. I'm terrified and confused and don't know what to do. Advice appreciated.
Didosrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016   #2 (permalink)
aņejo
 
CalifGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,187
You need to get hold of beam-eye, he hangs out on playa.info and is an expat doctor from the US. Try to PM him, he should respond. I don't have his phone number, maybe some other member does and will respond here. but do the PM immediately.

Sorry for your dad, lousy way to start a retirement.

Last edited by CalifGuy; 11-12-2016 at 12:23 AM..
CalifGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016   #3 (permalink)
sandflea
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2
Thank you so much! I just pm'd him!!
Didosrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016   #4 (permalink)
aņejo
 
CalifGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didosrevenge View Post
Thank you so much! I just pm'd him!!
I did too, hopefully he will respond quickly or maybe one of the locals with his ph number.
CalifGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016   #5 (permalink)
reposado
 
jackjackattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmond Oklahoma....Go Pokes!
Posts: 1,073
I have his phone number. I know he would be happy to help. I'll text him to look just in case.
jackjackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016   #6 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,391
Call me

Last edited by beam-eye; 11-27-2016 at 12:48 PM..
beam-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016   #7 (permalink)
into ruins
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 75
Wow!!!

Just weighing in...as a reader I am so impressed as to how all of you just rallied to help this person out with her/his Dad. Good to know people in Playa have your back. And beam eye...love to meet you someday and give you a huge hug. This exceeds the Hippocratic oath. You are one of the great guys.
Very impressed!!!!!!!!!!!
On the down side, I too know people who in their sixties plus travel without insurance. I know sometimes the cost is just too prohibitive and what is one to do - sit on a couch at home and vegetate??? But even with insurance, it can be a nightmare. Without it can put you or your loved ones in bankruptcy should something dreadful happen.
There has to be a better way...
deetee1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016   #8 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Central Alberta Canada
Posts: 314
Playa Info at its best
MsNSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016   #9 (permalink)
reposado
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee1000 View Post
Just weighing in...as a reader I am so impressed as to how all of you just rallied to help this person out with her/his Dad. Good to know people in Playa have your back. And beam eye...love to meet you someday and give you a huge hug. This exceeds the Hippocratic oath. You are one of the great guys.
Very impressed!!!!!!!!!!!
On the down side, I too know people who in their sixties plus travel without insurance. I know sometimes the cost is just too prohibitive and what is one to do - sit on a couch at home and vegetate??? But even with insurance, it can be a nightmare. Without it can put you or your loved ones in bankruptcy should something dreadful happen.
There has to be a better way...
Getting medical insurance in Playa is very affordable and easy to get. Granted it only covers emergencies but that's when its needed to most. We just came back from Playa after a two week stay. My husband is 79 and among other things has had a stroke and heart attack. We purchased travel insurance from a local agent-total for the both of us-$219 with no deductible. I did inquire what it what cost if we moved back(used to live there)and was quoted a very affordable quote. Traveling and or moving to Playa without some kind of medical insurance can be a nightmare for both patient and family
maya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016   #10 (permalink)
into ruins
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 75
That is indeed affordable. I had the pleasure of meeting a young woman from Collingwood Ontario who had a horrific experience in Cancun (attacked by a shark...perhaps you know her story). The attack was only made worse by the treatment once she reached the Hopital in Cancun. They wouldn't even start work on her without knowing she had insurance. Notwithstanding, someone had to plunk around $20,000. us down on a credit card to get the wheels moving on her care. Does this insurance company you are referring to cover emergency air lift back to wherever home is? I have insurance and do carry a card with those details on my person when in Playa. I also have a detailed conversation with my provider prior to (including getting there name) as to what is covered and the process. It can be a nightmare!!!
deetee1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016   #11 (permalink)
reposado
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee1000 View Post
That is indeed affordable. I had the pleasure of meeting a young woman from Collingwood Ontario who had a horrific experience in Cancun (attacked by a shark...perhaps you know her story). The attack was only made worse by the treatment once she reached the Hopital in Cancun. They wouldn't even start work on her without knowing she had insurance. Notwithstanding, someone had to plunk around $20,000. us down on a credit card to get the wheels moving on her care. Does this insurance company you are referring to cover emergency air lift back to wherever home is? I have insurance and do carry a card with those details on my person when in Playa. I also have a detailed conversation with my provider prior to (including getting there name) as to what is covered and the process. It can be a nightmare!!!
from what I was told, the initial policy will get you to the states providing there is not a hospital in the area cannot treat you. However Merida is close and there is excellent drs and hosptials there. We could have purchased medivac insurance for $225 but opted not to. I think though its worth the money. That will transport you right to your hospital in the states. Another thing I want to point out. Make sure you read the fine print on any travel medical insurance you purchase. Many require you pay upfront and they will reimburse you. Sometimes hospitals like Hospiten will not accept your insurance and also will need to pay upfront. I do think that trend is changing. As for the policy we had, all we were required to do was show our medical card and the hospital billed directly. The agent I worked with is Launa Brockman, she lives in Puerto Adventouras.
maya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016   #12 (permalink)
aņejo
 
WaterRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Posts: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee1000 View Post
That is indeed affordable. I had the pleasure of meeting a young woman from Collingwood Ontario who had a horrific experience in Cancun (attacked by a shark...perhaps you know her story). The attack was only made worse by the treatment once she reached the Hopital in Cancun. They wouldn't even start work on her without knowing she had insurance. Notwithstanding, someone had to plunk around $20,000. us down on a credit card to get the wheels moving on her care. Does this insurance company you are referring to cover emergency air lift back to wherever home is? I have insurance and do carry a card with those details on my person when in Playa. I also have a detailed conversation with my provider prior to (including getting there name) as to what is covered and the process. It can be a nightmare!!!
I always purchase trip insurance for several different reasons, (our health is the least of my concerns). The policy that I have for our upcoming trip includes $500,000 medical evacuation, $100,000 non-medical evacuation, and $50,000 emergency accident and sickness medical expense, all with a $50.00 deductible.

The coverage is secondary to our existing health insurance policy. The cost for our 12 day $4,000 trip was $48.00. Before the two boy rats were in college, and traveling with us, the cost was typically around $125.00.

Last year, I spent about $150.00 for our policy. There were some upgrades that I passed on this year. Sorry, don't remember what they were, and not inclined to look it up.

I've found Square Mouth the most user friendly site to shop for trip insurance.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016   #13 (permalink)
aņejo
 
WaterRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Posts: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by maya View Post
from what I was told, the initial policy will get you to the states providing there is not a hospital in the area cannot treat you. However Merida is close and there is excellent drs and hosptials there. We could have purchased medivac insurance for $225 but opted not to. I think though its worth the money. That will transport you right to your hospital in the states. Another thing I want to point out. Make sure you read the fine print on any travel medical insurance you purchase. Many require you pay upfront and they will reimburse you. Sometimes hospitals like Hospiten will not accept your insurance and also will need to pay upfront. I do think that trend is changing. As for the policy we had, all we were required to do was show our medical card and the hospital billed directly. The agent I worked with is Launa Brockman, she lives in Puerto Adventouras.
Really?
Almost all policies that I've read over the last 10 years will wire money immediately to the hospital so that you can be admitted.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016   #14 (permalink)
into ruins
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 75
health insurance

Excellent information. I am wondering if any Canuks have companies that they feel good about recommending and have pricing that they can share.
We all hate paying for insurance until we need it!!!!!!!!!!!!
deetee1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016   #15 (permalink)
aņejo
 
rob mackay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: nova scotia, canada
Posts: 9,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee1000 View Post
Excellent information. I am wondering if any Canuks have companies that they feel good about recommending and have pricing that they can share.
We all hate paying for insurance until we need it!!!!!!!!!!!!
go wit the rbc travel policies, cause you dont need to pay up front. the yearly policy is good for stays out of the country of up to 30 dys and around 125 bucks

if you stay longer than 30 days, there is another policy and thats about 3 bucks a day.
rob mackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.