Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2016   #1 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
sanluisdavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 302
Options For Buying 3 Bedroom Residence in Playa

Hello,

After taking a couple trips to Playa, it definitely looks like a good option for permanent residence.

The prices for units seem to be trending upward pretty steadily and there are not many larger units available in our price range of around $250K

Our situation is that we will have my wife and myself, 5 year old son, and possibly the inlaws living with us at least 1/2 of the year. So we would really like to get a 3 bedroom place if at all possible. Maybe around 1,600-1,750 square feet.

We would like to be within walking distance to everything, including stores, banks, schools.

We would not necessarily care if it was prime vacation rental unit since we plan on living there full time. But if it was in rentable area, would be a little extra security in the case we needed to scrap plan after a couple years and return to US.

I found a pre construction place: Icono Playa that has 3 bed/3 bath units, 1,482 square feet for $237K. Location is between Av 25&30, Calle 6 Nte. Close to Parque 28 de julio. Anybody familiar with the project and the reputation of the builder?

Any other preconstruction places that fit the bill?

Playacar seems to have options but don't know if there are schools within walking distance, and would be more removed from the restaurants, supermarkets, banks, etc.

Plan would be to move there in about 16 months if all goes according to plans, so pre construction would be OK with us. I understand that most resale places would not be available by the time we are ready to move, but it your comments might lead us to at least start looking in a general area, or rule some out. (After getting some good guidance here on the forum in the past it, and making a couple trips down there, it does not seem like buying and doing short or long term rental until we are ready to move would be a safe strategy).

I would appreciate any thoughts, ideas.


Thanks.

Last edited by sanluisdavid; 11-17-2016 at 01:13 PM..
sanluisdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016   #2 (permalink)
life=playa
 
DrewJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 688
When will you be back down for another visit?


La Joya is on the other side of the highway, but they have 3 bedroom houses that are the size you're looking for for $100k. Buy two of them and you'll have a 3500 square foot place with 6 bedrooms! You'd need a car there. I'm interested in the area because the prices are in pesos, and the price hasn't budged since the exchange rate was 15 to 1.


Playacar is walkable if you can find something in the east edge. Not sure the prices though. I'd guess $300K USD for a 2000 square foot house, but I'm just guessing.


The area you're looking in seems ok though. It seems a little darker less walker friendly at night than the other area where the iPlaya studio is, but I'd personally be fine there.
DrewJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016   #3 (permalink)
reposado
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisdavid View Post
Hello,

After taking a couple trips to Playa, it definitely looks like a good option for permanent residence.

The prices for units seem to be trending upward pretty steadily and there are not many larger units available in our price range of around $250K

Our situation is that we will have my wife and myself, 5 year old son, and possibly the inlaws living with us at least 1/2 of the year. So we would really like to get a 3 bedroom place if at all possible. Maybe around 1,600-1,750 square feet.

We would like to be within walking distance to everything, including stores, banks, schools.

We would not necessarily care if it was prime vacation rental unit since we plan on living there full time. But if it was in rentable area, would be a little extra security in the case we needed to scrap plan after a couple years and return to US.

I found a pre construction place: Icono Playa that has 3 bed/3 bath units, 1,482 square feet for $237K. Location is between Av 25&30, Calle 6 Nte. Close to Parque 28 de julio. Anybody familiar with the project and the reputation of the builder?

Any other preconstruction places that fit the bill?

Playacar seems to have options but don't know if there are schools within walking distance, and would be more removed from the restaurants, supermarkets, banks, etc.

Plan would be to move there in about 16 months if all goes according to plans, so pre construction would be OK with us. I understand that most resale places would not be available by the time we are ready to move, but it your comments might lead us to at least start looking in a general area, or rule some out. (After getting some good guidance here on the forum in the past it, and making a couple trips down there, it does not seem like buying and doing short or long term rental until we are ready to move would be a safe strategy).

I would appreciate any thoughts, ideas.


Thanks.
maybe I misunderstand pre-construction,
but if the place is where you wrote,
the 4th story is finished and the fifth - if that is what it will be when it´s finished -
won´t take much longer, they wake me up every morning.
that thing went up very fast.
´Parque 28 de julio´ would be between 8th and 10th street with 15th to 20th avenida.
( just saying in case you think about another place).
bruce sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016   #4 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
sanluisdavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 302
Yes I just checked out the Icono website and it showed the progress to date and yes, it looks like it is almost completed. So I guess that one does not really fit our timeline after all. I sent an email to real estate agent Carlos Martinez and he mentioned that there are a couple more new projects just about ready to break dirt which may work for me. I will report back here after getting more details in case anyone else is interested.
sanluisdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016   #5 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
sanluisdavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewJones View Post
When will you be back down for another visit?


La Joya is on the other side of the highway, but they have 3 bedroom houses that are the size you're looking for for $100k. Buy two of them and you'll have a 3500 square foot place with 6 bedrooms! You'd need a car there. I'm interested in the area because the prices are in pesos, and the price hasn't budged since the exchange rate was 15 to 1.


Playacar is walkable if you can find something in the east edge. Not sure the prices though. I'd guess $300K USD for a 2000 square foot house, but I'm just guessing.


The area you're looking in seems ok though. It seems a little darker less walker friendly at night than the other area where the iPlaya studio is, but I'd personally be fine there.
La Joya sounds interesting. Are there at least some local taco places, neighborhood stores near that location so we would not need to drive for everything? Schools walkable distance from there?

I was looking at Playacar places today and most of the places which would be in our price range seem to be on the far end away from town. But they were pretty nice looking.

I am probably going to be back when IPlaya Project is completed....tentatively sometime and April. And will be there again in June for a few weeks
sanluisdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016   #6 (permalink)
añejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisdavid View Post
La Joya sounds interesting. Are there at least some local taco places, neighborhood stores near that location so we would not need to drive for everything? Schools walkable distance from there?
Walkable to Centro Maya Shopping Center if you don't mind a long walk.
No schools walkable.

Babaloo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016   #7 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,427
I recommend getting a car. Your options will increase tremendously.
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016   #8 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisdavid View Post
Yes I just checked out the Icono website and it showed the progress to date and yes, it looks like it is almost completed. So I guess that one does not really fit our timeline after all. I sent an email to real estate agent Carlos Martinez and he mentioned that there are a couple more new projects just about ready to break dirt which may work for me. I will report back here after getting more details in case anyone else is interested.
Why does it need to be a new place?
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016   #9 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
sanluisdavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
Walkable to Centro Maya Shopping Center if you don't mind a long walk.
No schools walkable.

Yeah, I love to walk. I think AbsoluteAl and I are going to be good buddies.
sanluisdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016   #10 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
sanluisdavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
Why does it need to be a new place?
Doesn't really need to be a new place. But the older places I have been seeing don't look that great. I checked out Margaritas 2, and a few other places when I was there in June and the build quality, as other forum members warned, was not that great.

Casa Petra is one place that I see is still for sale, but my wife doesn't like the looks of it. Says it is too dark, old looking, doesn't like the bushes all around the property (worrying about critters). It is $179K asking price on beach side of highway. Calle 14 Nte Bis and between Av 40-45.
sanluisdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016   #11 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisdavid View Post
Yeah, I love to walk. I think AbsoluteAl and I are going to be good buddies.
3 1/2 hours total walking time today David. You think that you can keep up or will you need some P.T.?
(P.T. should have most confused )
And I have a car or three for you!
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016   #12 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
sanluisdavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
3 1/2 hours total walking time today David. You think that you can keep up or will you need some P.T.?
(P.T. should have most confused )
And I have a car or three for you!
I'm good for about 6-8 miles a day. So probably like 2 1/2 hours. But I'll probably walk more there since it is bikini season all year.

The driving is not something I want to get into much. I am trying to get away from that. One of the big reasons we want to leave the US. Maybe if I have a cool golf cart or something. I like to just drink a couple beers and hit the streets on foot. Driving under those circumstances is not good
sanluisdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016   #13 (permalink)
reposado
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
3 1/2 hours total walking time today David. You think that you can keep up or will you need some P.T.?
(P.T. should have most confused )
And I have a car or three for you!

what is personal trainer, alex.
I take most famous renters in playa for 300, please.

I consider it a luxury that I don´t need to drive anymore.
bruce sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016   #14 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce sundance View Post
what is personal trainer, alex.
WRONG
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016   #15 (permalink)
ruined
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 91
I know I mentioned the place where we bought to you but there are a lot of developments going up in that area. Bambu might be something you want to check out, I think they have custom design homes. Whenever I talked with someone they said that area is an upcoming area (El Tigrillo).

We went there in Oct to close on our house and stayed at a place nearby. There were plenty of places to walk to and really easy to get downtown or a beach for a 60 peso taxi ride in 5 minutes.

Overall quiet and not so busy which is something we liked since so many places we liked and stayed at downtown, one year it was great and the next year there would be a beach club or something built next door.

I think in that area you will find more places priced in pesos also which is a steal at this point, you'll be getting basically 30% off in some cases by the way they were priced.
chebyrashka74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.