Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2016   #1 (permalink)
ruined
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 86
Using Amazon in Mexico

Am considering ordering some stuff through Amazon but not sure what type of address to use for delivery...anybody out there use Amazon and have it delivered in Playa....Thanks in advance for any help !!
spikergirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016   #2 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikergirl47 View Post
Am considering ordering some stuff through Amazon but not sure what type of address to use for delivery...anybody out there use Amazon and have it delivered in Playa....Thanks in advance for any help !!
We use Amazon Mexico
You need to put your full address in.
Street, Manzana, Lote, Colonia, City, State and zip code.
And then hope for the best.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016   #3 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,327
Haven't used Amazon MX (but want to - thanks for the question), so don't know which/what package delivery service they use - but whichever one it is, send it to their local office (DHL, FedEx, Estafeta, etc) and pick it up there. That's what I learned to do after losing my ATM card 4 times and having B of A send a new one (free) that never got to the addresses I gave them - drivers came from Cancun, didn't know Playa addresses, all got shipped back to the bank, rinse/repeat, until I finally had them send it to the local FedEx office as 'Hold for Pick-Up'. Works just fine.

Rick, what delivery service does Amazon MX use?
beam-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016   #4 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by beam-eye View Post
Haven't used Amazon MX (but want to - thanks for the question), so don't know which/what package delivery service they use - but whichever one it is, send it to their local office (DHL, FedEx, Estafeta, etc) and pick it up there. That's what I learned to do after losing my ATM card 4 times and having B of A send a new one (free) that never got to the addresses I gave them - drivers came from Cancun, didn't know Playa addresses, all got shipped back to the bank, rinse/repeat, until I finally had them send it to the local FedEx office as 'Hold for Pick-Up'. Works just fine.

Rick, what delivery service does Amazon MX use?
My shipments came FedEx.
The problem with shipping to a commercial address (which we tried) is that all of my deliveries went out after 5pm. If the FedEx or UPS office is closed, it goes back on the truck and back to Cancun.
Another delivery attempt the next day may result in the same problem.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016   #5 (permalink)
life=playa
 
DrewJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
We use Amazon Mexico
You need to put your full address in.
Street, Manzana, Lote, Colonia, City, State and zip code.
And then hope for the best.

There's also a "comments" field where you can describe your location, which is often important here. Hopefully you also can leave a phone number. Even if you're here for just a couple weeks, you can get a prepay phone for a few hundred pesos.


I've also used Amazon US here. They had a promotion recently for free shipping from Amazon.com if you buy $65. Not sure if that was for everyone, or just Prime members.

Amazon.com Global Shipping

Last edited by DrewJones; 11-26-2016 at 11:54 AM..
DrewJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016   #6 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
My shipments came FedEx.
The problem with shipping to a commercial address (which we tried) is that all of my deliveries went out after 5pm. If the FedEx or UPS office is closed, it goes back on the truck and back to Cancun.
Another delivery attempt the next day may result in the same problem.
Unsure if I follow correctly - if you're having it sent to the FedEx office to hold for pick-up, it gets delivered to the FedEx office labelled 'hold for pick-up', and won't go out for delivery (or back on the truck unless you don't pick it up within a few days).
beam-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016   #7 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by beam-eye View Post
Unsure if I follow correctly - if you're having it sent to the FedEx office to hold for pick-up, it gets delivered to the FedEx office labelled 'hold for pick-up', and won't go out for delivery (or back on the truck unless you don't pick it up within a few days).
It arrives in Cancun.
It then comes to Playa.
It may arrive in Playa after the offices are closed.
So, the package cannot be left for pickup.
That may not be the case every time.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016   #8 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Bluespicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: PdC
Posts: 5,701
We've ordered twice from Amazon mexico with no problems. So far.
Bluespicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016   #9 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Paw'boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Adventure Port
Posts: 2,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluespicker View Post
We've ordered twice from Amazon mexico with no problems. So far.
Us too, both Amazon and Amazon MX. Our delivery address is easy compared to playa. If anyone is ever having difficulty, your welcome to use our address here in PA and come and get your stuff. I must say, it is so exciting to have stuff delivered here after 9 years of nothing.
Paw'boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016   #10 (permalink)
way into it
 
AndyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 156
Sounds like there could be a good opportunity for a "mailbox store" to accept and hold deliveries. I'll go pack now.
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.