Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Off Topic Stuff > General Off-Topic Stuff
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2017   #16 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,992
Trump is taking actions to sabotage ACA and raise your health insurance premiums.

The costs of Trump's sabotage of Obamacare already are showing up in rate hikes - LA Times
Stormin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017   #17 (permalink)
tmc
añejo
 
tmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 3,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
Auto insurance has a mandate and is required. Or a bond is required to be posted. Should the same hold true for health care and health insurance?
That is not universally true as some states do not require auto insurance. I would favor the states making almost whatever arrangement they want on this point, as long as sensible insurance options are available. It is not the province of the federal government to make such a mandate.
Quote:
Pre-existing conditions were covered by all policies after ACA. Why would a person need to sign up for a special pool for coverage?
Pre-existing condition coverage has existed since 1996, the method has varied, well before the ACA. My reference to the pools was that from 2010 to 2014, before the full implementation of the ACA, pools were set up to cover those with pre-exposition conditions who wanted insurance. There were never more than 120,000 people, across the whole nation, who opted for that coverage.

Last edited by tmc; 08-22-2017 at 12:45 PM..
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017   #18 (permalink)
tmc
añejo
 
tmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 3,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
Trump is taking actions to sabotage ACA and raise your health insurance premiums.

The costs of Trump's sabotage of Obamacare already are showing up in rate hikes - LA Times
The "sabotage" to which the author refers is in no small part related to the question I asked and you pointedly refused to answer. Should the President illegally send billions of taxpayers dollars to the insurance companies? Your cohorts Mnbruce and roni think such illegal actions are justified in this case, do you?
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017   #19 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc View Post
The "sabotage" to which the author refers is in no small part related to the question I asked and you pointedly refused to answer. Should the President illegally send billions of taxpayers dollars to the insurance companies? Your cohorts Mnbruce and roni think such illegal actions are justified in this case, do you?
Why did the Republicans file the lawsuit in the first place?

And the subsidies were not ruled improper in states that had their own exchange.

Republicans should not be able to claim that they are interested in lowering deductibles and coinsurance costs when their actions increase the deductibles and coinsurance costs for those with modest incomes that buy insurance on the Healthcare Exchange.

Yes. The payments should be made. If you actually care about the American people.
Stormin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017   #20 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc View Post
The "sabotage" to which the author refers is in no small part related to the question I asked and you pointedly refused to answer. Should the President illegally send billions of taxpayers dollars to the insurance companies? Your cohorts Mnbruce and roni think such illegal actions are justified in this case, do you?
Why have Obama and Trump not been arrested for their "illegal" acts? Should Mueller be looking into this?
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017   #21 (permalink)
tmc
añejo
 
tmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 3,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
Why did the Republicans file the lawsuit in the first place?
Because the law did not provide for such payments, thus making them illegal.

Quote:
And the subsidies were not ruled improper in states that had their own exchange.

Republicans should not be able to claim that they are interested in lowering deductibles and coinsurance costs when their actions increase the deductibles and coinsurance costs for those with modest incomes that buy insurance on the Healthcare Exchange.

Yes. The payments should be made. If you actually care about the American people.
How about fixing the problem rather than making illegal payments? The idea that making illegal payments is the way one "cares for the American people" is ludicrous. Interesting that all of those leftists concerned about Mr Trump and his actions have no problem calling for him to explicitly break the law. What other laws should he break to show how much he cares for the American people?
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017   #22 (permalink)
tmc
añejo
 
tmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 3,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
Why have Obama and Trump not been arrested for their "illegal" acts? Should Mueller be looking into this?
Good question. I think illegally funneling billions of taxpayers dollars to a private enterprise should be a punishable offense, but hey, this is Washington DC. While it is illegal there is apparently no explicit punishment on the books for making the payments. Plus the fact that all the lefties in town think it is just a wonderful idea provides some sort of cover. I mean, who would prosecute a President for showing he cares about the American people?
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017   #23 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc View Post
Because the law did not provide for such payments, thus making them illegal.



How about fixing the problem rather than making illegal payments? The idea that making illegal payments is the way one "cares for the American people" is ludicrous. Interesting that all of those leftists concerned about Mr Trump and his actions have no problem calling for him to explicitly break the law. What other laws should he break to show how much he cares for the American people?

Why not fix the problem? Ask Republicans. Democrats are more than willing to fix ACA problems and make it better. No problem. Let's do it. And that would go a long way in unifying the country as well. Bipartisanship.
Stormin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017   #24 (permalink)
añejo
 
Dan-0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 5,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
Why not fix the problem? Ask Republicans. Democrats are more than willing to fix ACA problems and make it better. No problem. Let's do it. And that would go a long way in unifying the country as well. Bipartisanship.
I already posted this one but it's worthy of a repeat.

Dan-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017   #25 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-0 View Post
I already posted this one but it's worthy of a repeat.

As a person who actually has a decent understanding of the law and what it has meant then I disagree with your cartoon.

But if I was a wealthy person making above $250k then it would probably suck. Especially if you don't really give a damn about lower income people and their struggles.
Stormin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017   #26 (permalink)
tmc
añejo
 
tmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 3,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
Why not fix the problem? Ask Republicans. Democrats are more than willing to fix ACA problems and make it better. No problem. Let's do it. And that would go a long way in unifying the country as well. Bipartisanship.
The law cannot be "fixed" as its fundamental premise is wrong. You wouldn't seek to build a bridge across the Mississippi with Cheerios and then, confronted with the predictable failure of the bridge, seek to shore it up with peanut butter, would you? The entire edifice needs to come down and replaced with something fundamentally sound, but neither the Democrats nor most of the Republicans have any stomach for doing so.
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017   #27 (permalink)
tmc
añejo
 
tmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 3,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
As a person who actually has a decent understanding of the law and what it has meant then I disagree with your cartoon.

But if I was a wealthy person making above $250k then it would probably suck. Especially if you don't really give a damn about lower income people and their struggles.
If you were making more than $250k a year you wouldn't be "wealthy" around here nor would you typically be using any of the Obamacare policies. The people most hurt by Obamacare are those middle income people stuck with high-cost and essentially non-paying policies.
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017   #28 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc View Post
If you were making more than $250k a year you wouldn't be "wealthy" around here nor would you typically be using any of the Obamacare policies. The people most hurt by Obamacare are those middle income people stuck with high-cost and essentially non-paying policies.
ALL policies are ACA compliant. Those policies you are referring to are Private Health Insurance Policies sold on the Health Care Exchanges. And almost all people purchasing on the Exchanges are those that do not get insurance through the workplace, and they most likely get subsidies for the premiums. In addition those people at lower income levels get lower premiums and deductibles as well. Those payments are the ones you contend are "illegal".

Making $250k per year from an employer most likely you are getting very good health insurance through your employer. Which itself is a great tax advantage and job perk. Nothing like a tax break.

Those 50 and older get a helluva deal because of ACA. Health insurance companies can only charge them 3 times the rate of younger people. No pre-existing conditions anymore. And health insurance companies must spend 80 to 85% of premiums paid for actual health care.

IMO we should at least have a Public Option available.
Stormin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017   #29 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc View Post
The law cannot be "fixed" as its fundamental premise is wrong. You wouldn't seek to build a bridge across the Mississippi with Cheerios and then, confronted with the predictable failure of the bridge, seek to shore it up with peanut butter, would you? The entire edifice needs to come down and replaced with something fundamentally sound, but neither the Democrats nor most of the Republicans have any stomach for doing so.
Actually the law can be fixed without too much trouble at all. And most laws always need some fixes made after passage. So that is pretty common.

Your Cheerios and Peanut Butter story was amusing. But not accurate at all. And ACA is actually a Republican Plan originally. Or didn't you know that? Which is why the Republicans just can't seem to come up anything.
Stormin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017   #30 (permalink)
tmc
añejo
 
tmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 3,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
ALL policies are ACA compliant. Those policies you are referring to are Private Health Insurance Policies sold on the Health Care Exchanges. And almost all people purchasing on the Exchanges are those that do not get insurance through the workplace, and they most likely get subsidies for the premiums. In addition those people at lower income levels get lower premiums and deductibles as well. Those payments are the ones you contend are "illegal".
i didn't say they were illegal, a judge did. The illegal payments refer to monies specifically sent to the insurance companies independent and in addition to the subsidies received by policyholders. Mr Obama made a verbal deal with the insurance companies to illegally pay them money to further keep down the premiums and deductibles.

Many of the people who buy insurance that is ACA-compliant, either on the exchanges or elsewhere, are getting screwed due to high premiums and high deductibles; is this something about which you are unaware?

Quote:
Making $250k per year from an employer most likely you are getting very good health insurance through your employer. Which itself is a great tax advantage and job perk. Nothing like a tax break.

Those 50 and older get a helluva deal because of ACA. Health insurance companies can only charge them 3 times the rate of younger people. No pre-existing conditions anymore. And health insurance companies must spend 80 to 85% of premiums paid for actual health care.
While those 30 and under get screwed, sounds like a great trade-off.
Quote:
IMO we should at least have a Public Option available.
IMO the federal government should stay out of the health insurance marketplace.
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.