Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2017   #1 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
crmoores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Finger Lakes & Playa!
Posts: 362
Update on car rental at CUN (Avant)

While researching a vehicle rental for upcoming visits in June, October, and January, we recently asked Maribel Morales (service rep at Avant) if Avant still provides delivery and pick-up service at the CUN terminal. Maribel's response:

"Due to new airport regulations we are no longer allowed to deliver or receive vehicles at the airport. Now one of our agents will pick you up at the airport and transfer you to our office located 7 minutes from the airport. And on your return you will be taken back to the airport.
Transfers have no cost to you."

Avant has not yet updated their website to reflect this change, and having seen a recent post of Avant still servicing CUN we just wanted to get this update out for others.
At this time ISIS still provides this service free of charge, and in our experience Edgar's quote is in line with - and often lower than - that of Avant's. And also in our experience the support and service from ISIS is superior to any other rental agency, period.

We've also used America when looking for the lowest price, and we've had good experiences with them. But when we want service to CUN with no shuttle required ISIS is always our first choice, and now Avant can no longer compete with that.
crmoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017   #2 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Sogno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmoores View Post
While researching a vehicle rental for upcoming visits in June, October, and January, we recently asked Maribel Morales (service rep at Avant) if Avant still provides delivery and pick-up service at the CUN terminal. Maribel's response:

"Due to new airport regulations we are no longer allowed to deliver or receive vehicles at the airport. Now one of our agents will pick you up at the airport and transfer you to our office located 7 minutes from the airport. And on your return you will be taken back to the airport.
Transfers have no cost to you."

Avant has not yet updated their website to reflect this change, and having seen a recent post of Avant still servicing CUN we just wanted to get this update out for others.
At this time ISIS still provides this service free of charge, and in our experience Edgar's quote is in line with - and often lower than - that of Avant's. And also in our experience the support and service from ISIS is superior to any other rental agency, period.

We've also used America when looking for the lowest price, and we've had good experiences with them. But when we want service to CUN with no shuttle required ISIS is always our first choice, and now Avant can no longer compete with that.
A few questions:

First, ISIS provides what service free of charge? Delivery to your hotel? Pick up at airport? Avant does not charge for either of these, but you are correct in that if picking up at the airport, you do need to make a 7 minute ride to their office. There is no charge for this. Does ISIS deliver their vehicle to the airport arrivals area? Are you certain? Can you clarify?

Second, on the ISIS website, a VW GOL sedan w manual transmission is $44.95/day, or $314.65 for the week. Avant offers the same vehicle for $220 for the week during high season. How is this lower than Avant's cost for a 7 day rental? Avant offers these specials: On weekly rental (seven days) you only pay five - TWO DAYS FREE, On fifteen days rental you only pay ten - FIVE DAYS FREE. I see no such offers from ISIS, but their cost is lower than Avant's?

Third, have you rented from Avant in the past? If so, could you please give us a few examples of how "the support and service from ISIS is superior to any other rental agency, period" ? Since you've brought Avant into the conversation, please provide your personal experiences of how ISIS provided better service & support than Avant.

Finally, in what way is Avant unable to compete with ISIS? According to their respective websites, Avant offers lower prices, and price cuts on 7 & 15 day rentals whereas ISIS doesn't. Need to know your response to the service support part also.

Will await your reply.

Last edited by Sogno; 05-25-2017 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Typos
Sogno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017   #3 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
crmoores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Finger Lakes & Playa!
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogno View Post
A few questions:

First, ISIS provides what service free of charge? Delivery to your hotel? Pick up at airport? Avant does not charge for either of these, but you are correct in that if picking up at the airport, you do need to make a 7 minute ride to their office. There is no charge for this. Does ISIS deliver their vehicle to the airport arrivals area? Are you certain? Can you clarify?

Second, on the ISIS website, a VW GOL sedan w manual transmission is $44.95/day, or $314.65 for the week. Avant offers the same vehicle for $220 for the week during high season. How is this lower than Avant's cost for a 7 day rental? Avant offers these specials: On weekly rental (seven days) you only pay five - TWO DAYS FREE, On fifteen days rental you only pay ten - FIVE DAYS FREE. I see no such offers from ISIS, but their cost is lower than Avant's?

Third, have you rented from Avant in the past? If so, could you please give us a few examples of how "the support and service from ISIS is superior to any other rental agency, period" ? Since you've brought Avant into the conversation, please provide your personal experiences of how ISIS provided better service & support than Avant.

Finally, in what way is Avant unable to compete with ISIS? According to their respective websites, Avant offers lower prices, and price cuts on 7 & 15 day rentals whereas ISIS doesn't. Need to know your response to the service support part also.

Will await your reply.
You may want to read my post again, and take some time to read reviews here and on the tripadvisor Playa forum for more info.

First, I would think what service ISIS provides free of charge is very clear in the context in which it was written.
>> Does ISIS deliver their vehicle to the airport arrivals area? Are you certain? Can you clarify? <<
Yes

Second, you need to obtain actual quotes, not go by the web prices. Our experience is exactly as I stated. America is typically much lower than both ISIS and Avant (when using their peso reservation option). But Avant and ISIS are often very close when I request quotes.

Obviously you haven't rented with ISIS, we have rented with all 3, and our experiences with ISIS (and America) have been better. We've had beat-up vehicles when renting from Avant and customer service is nothing like that of ISIS. ISIS is the premier, small rental agency in the area in our humble opinion.

Third, yes we have, and you will find from many others here and on the Playa forum on tripadvisor ISIS is the most trusted agency out of all of them. Margarita and Edgar are wonderful to deal with, do some research if you want more details. I didn't bring "Avant into the conversation", this post is all about Avant's policy change! lol...

And FINALLY, just read my post - Avant can no longer compete with ISIS because they no longer deliver to the terminal. And our personal experience with service support with ISIS has been exceptional, with America very good, and with Avant very poor.

If you are an Avant fan no worries, I was simply providing an update on their policy for others who might be comparing Avant to ISIS for a CUN delivery since their site was not yet updated .

Last edited by crmoores; 05-25-2017 at 02:16 PM..
crmoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017   #4 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 74,820
wrong thread
roni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017   #5 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Sogno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmoores View Post
You may want to read my post again, and take some time to read reviews here and on the tripadvisor Playa forum for more info.

First, I would think what service ISIS provides free of charge is very clear in the context in which it was written.
>> Does ISIS deliver their vehicle to the airport arrivals area? Are you certain? Can you clarify? <<
Yes

Second, you need to obtain actual quotes, not go by the web prices. Our experience is exactly as I stated. America is typically much lower than both ISIS and Avant (when using their peso reservation option). But Avant and ISIS are often very close when I request quotes.

Obviously you haven't rented with ISIS, we have rented with all 3, and our experiences with ISIS (and America) have been better. We've had beat-up vehicles when renting from Avant and customer service is nothing like that of ISIS. ISIS is the premier, small rental agency in the area in our humble opinion.

Third, yes we have, and you will find from many others here and on the Playa forum on tripadvisor ISIS is the most trusted agency out of all of them. Margarita and Edgar are wonderful to deal with, do some research if you want more details. I didn't bring "Avant into the conversation", this post is all about Avant's policy change! lol...

And FINALLY, just read my post - Avant can no longer compete with ISIS because they no longer deliver to the terminal. And our personal experience with service support with ISIS has been exceptional, with America very good, and with Avant very poor.

If you are an Avant fan no worries, I was simply providing an update on their policy for others who might be comparing Avant to ISIS for a CUN delivery since their site was not yet updated .

Since you chose not to post your quotes, I had no other option than to rely on the information provided by the rental agency websites.

You are correct in that I haven't rented from isis. I have rented from Avant several times, and each time I have had a NEW vehicle. The vehicle I rented this past Feb/March was delivered with 250 k on it. Can't remember the mileage of the others, other than them being NEW vehicles. Further, having been to their office and seeing other vehicles in their lot, they too were NEW models. Never saw a junker there..

I have done my research, I can assure you, and it doesn't support your opinion that of "ISIS is the premier, small rental agency in the area". Further, to suggest "the support and service from ISIS is superior to any other rental agency, period" is downright absurd. We both know that you would have had to rent from all agencies in the region to draw that conclusion, and you haven't. I have rented from many over my travels there over the past 25+ years, and to date, Avant has been my favorite thus far, hands down. For me to suggest that they are the far superior to any other agency would be downright silly though.

Now, since you chose not to provide these quotes you talk about, I will obtain my own for our upcoming two week vacation, and I'll post them here. I will not however seek a quote from America Car Rental, as I will not do business with them again. Our experience with them was terrible.

Examples: Both times we rented from them their vehicles were $hit heaps. we waited in their chaotic choice-of-meeting-place outside of arrivals for over 35 minutes. Then, waited longer for their shuttle to take us to their off-site office. Then, we suffered through roughly an hour in that stuffy, dirty office doing their paperwork. Yes, we had a reservation. Finally, when we returned the vehicle, their guy was literally crawling underneath the vehicle looking for something, anything of damage. No idea why he was so determined to find some damage - he failed. Frankly, he was an a$$hat. No, I do not recommend America Car Rental, and any price savings they could offer would not sway me to do business with them again. We fired them as we have numerous other car rental places down there.

But isis sounds interesting. I wish you would have provided an instance or two of how they wowed you with their service & support. If their quote is equal to or slightly less than Avant for our trip however, I would have no reason to leave Avant as I've been more than pleased with their service and new vehicles. If you'd be interested in knowing why, say the word and I'd be happy to provide examples. OK, just one example - Their 7 minute trip to their office was not a problem at all, and their service was professional, courteous and FAST.

If you're a fan of isis, not a problem. What is helpful is some background information to build a little credibility.
__________________
I like to reminisce with people I don't know ...

Last edited by Sogno; 05-25-2017 at 04:37 PM..
Sogno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017   #6 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
crmoores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Finger Lakes & Playa!
Posts: 362
Again, if you check with each agency for YOUR dates and YOUR vehicle type you will get the current prices. Posting my quotes won't help you, although I and others have posted comparison examples in several threads on TA. If you want credibility just read the hundreds of reviews, don't rely on just mine. Recommendations are helpful, but your experiences are what matter to you.

This thread was simply an update for folks looking for a rental at the terminal because Avant changed their policy but did not update their site -

"if your require a car rental in Cancun airport or at your hotel, one of our reps will deliver the car right where you need it, so you do not have to waste time going to our office."

Let's not make it more than that!
Enjoy your next trip!
crmoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017   #7 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Sogno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 927
You are the one that wrote "And also in our experience the support and service from ISIS is superior to any other rental agency, period."

I called you out on it, because that's non sense.

I've read the reviews, I have been a frequent participant on TA and other forums for years. That's why I also called you out on your "ISIS is the premier, small rental agency".

You can't respond to these, and now are asking me not to make more out of it.

Seems to me, you took that pleasure

Btw, Avant responded to my quote request shortly after I sent it along with a request to isis for the same vehicle, same 14 day period. Avant quoted: $568.40 USD. Haven't heard back from isis. If/when they do I can post their rate, if anyone is interested. Thus far, Avant wins in responsiveness.
Sogno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017   #8 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
crmoores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Finger Lakes & Playa!
Posts: 362
LOL...whatever man...you just need something to complain about apparently.

I added our preference for ISIS at the same time I stated they still meet you at the terminal. You can "call me out" all you want, that's too funny! But the majority of frequent renters agree about ISIS being THE best and most trusted, and if you did read the many reports that would not be news to you.

Remember, the main point of this thread is the difference in service Avant and ISIS provide - eg - meeting you at the terminal. In my humble opinion, your comments are just making a mess of this thread. But do enjoy yourself!
crmoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017   #9 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Sogno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 927
Well, I'm afraid I won't get to experience the so called "Premier, superior to any other rental agency, period" Isis at all.

They never responded to my request for a quote.

No, we'll be returning to Avant Car Rental once again, who keeping with their pattern of providing timely, professional service responded and provided me with a quote within 9 minutes of my request.

A few tips for you, crmoores:

When you write statements like "superior to any other rental agency, period...customer service is nothing like that of ISIS...service support with ISIS has been exceptional... ISIS being THE best and most trusted" you should be able to back up these claims. Pretty simple, really.

Don't tell me to look elsewhere and send me on a search mission. You wrote it, you provide an example or two, especially after being asked to do so. You should be ready and more than happy to share a few examples that support why you feel they are superior to any other rental agency. Does that not sound fair to you?

If you cannot or will not share some of your personal experiences, you lose credibility.

I get that you like isis, and you did manage to get my attention. I have no reason to dismiss them, however I won't get to experience them since they never responded to me.

Now if I can only learn how to scrub that damned 4 letter word from my emails before the FBI comes knocking at my door...

Last edited by Sogno; 05-27-2017 at 10:11 AM..
Sogno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017   #10 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
crmoores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Finger Lakes & Playa!
Posts: 362
WOW!

I am surprised no one has any comments, but I refuse to carry on this inane conversation. Enjoy your shuttle ride.

Last edited by crmoores; 05-27-2017 at 10:30 AM..
crmoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017   #11 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 74,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmoores View Post
WOW!

I am surprised no one has any comments, but I refuse to carry on this inane conversation. Enjoy your shuttle ride.
I own a car in Mexico now. The last times I rented were with Easyway in Merida, about 3 years ago. That was before we bought out car and we would rent one for a couple of days every couple of weeks. I was satisfied.

It was around that time that folks started having some problems with them at their Playa office and maybe their Cancun office, and I have not read much about them since then.

I did rent a Toyota Avanza minivan from them in March, 2014 and we went on a fine vacation all over the peninsula with friends from the states. It was wonderful for 4 adults, all of our gear and a big cooler.
roni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017   #12 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Sogno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
I own a car in Mexico now. The last times I rented were with Easyway in Merida, about 3 years ago. That was before we bought out car and we would rent one for a couple of days every couple of weeks. I was satisfied.

It was around that time that folks started having some problems with them at their Playa office and maybe their Cancun office, and I have not read much about them since then.

I did rent a Toyota Avanza minivan from them in March, 2014 and we went on a fine vacation all over the peninsula with friends from the states. It was wonderful for 4 adults, all of our gear and a big cooler.
We rented from Easyway Cancun for several years, years ago. However, they then dropped the ball in big fashion, and we never went back. Just one of quite a few agencies that we once used, then abandoned. I'm hoping Avant can keep their thing going. Time will tell.

Last edited by Sogno; 05-27-2017 at 10:48 AM..
Sogno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017   #13 (permalink)
añejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,544
Jeez. Sogno is treating this like he's in the political thread.
Obstinate comes to mind.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017   #14 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
crmoores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Finger Lakes & Playa!
Posts: 362
The discourse above about Avant is funny because we've used them and recommended them to friends and family, mainly because they met you at the terminal and were usually a few $ less than ISIS, and the service was ok. We've had issues with them and I would now recommend ISIS and America to friends but others regard Avant highly. We and many others we know who rent in Playa or Cozumel consider ISIS to be the very best outfit with Margarita and Edgar, and they really do deserve all of the accolades they get from everyone. And now that Avant no longer provides that service we just look at ISIS when we "need" a car at the terminal.

We have a rental for upcoming visits in June, Sept, and January. I chose ISIS for June and Sept because we are traveling with friends and carrying a lot of stuff down for our new house and a shuttle to a rental office just doesn't work. Meeting Edgar at the terminal is just so convenient.
I chose America for January because I will be retiring at the end of the year and we'll be renting just long enough to buy a vehicle as you did. America's price is consistently much lower (when using the peso currency option to quote) than ISIS, Avant and EasyWay, and we may have to rent for a few weeks or longer.

Did you buy from a dealer? I'm preparing to head to the Mexican consulate here in NY to apply for our permanent resident visas and I have not yet researched car insurance - do you have any advice there?
Thanks!

Last edited by crmoores; 05-27-2017 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: Typos
crmoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017   #15 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
crmoores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Finger Lakes & Playa!
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
Jeez. Sogno is treating this like he's in the political thread.
Obstinate comes to mind.
THANK YOU!!!
crmoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.