Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2017   #31 (permalink)
Me2
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogno View Post
It would be helpful to include where you live in order to appreciate a region that has more prevalence of ATM fraud than Riviera Maya/Playa, at least in your experience. Additionally, at "home", have you learned the source of the ATM fraud? Is it skimming, or some other technique? Also would be helpful to know.
I am Canadian, your smart , I think you can figure out I am saying that ATM fraud can happen and be rampant in any area the these criminals want to set up. I do not know the technique that was employed and my bank couldn't tell me either just that my card was "compromised" not that I cared to know the way, just that my money was safe. You also seem to insinuate because some other source (krebs) tells you that ATM fraud is rampant in this area of Mexico it is so, even though in my experience related to you, it is not. (you chose to believe krebs). Whats your experience? , I would guess different than mine from your responses!
Now,
If i was to tell you that I was planning on renting a car for my travels in Mexico but decided against it because there are so many reports of corrupt cops collecting bribes. What would you tell me? , that I am right?, that corrupt cops are so rampant that i would be lucky to get out of Cancun with any money left at all !!
Me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017   #32 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Sogno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGonzo View Post
Maybe? I don't think anyone who uses their credit card/debit card frequently can say for sure. There is no difference between your card info being compromised at an ATM, at a merchant or online. If my card is compromised, I report it to my bank as fraud and the charges are reversed.


And you're incorrect. In the several instances my cc was pirated, my cc company told me the date, approximate time, location, and general idea of recipient merchant.

Really? Your card is pirated, and the cc company can't tell you how? Not even the type of transaction?

Can they tell you when?

Really??

Or you didn't ask??

Huh??

Last edited by Sogno; 06-23-2017 at 10:39 PM..
Sogno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017   #33 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Sogno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
I am Canadian, your [sic] smart , I think you can figure out I am saying that ATM fraud can happen and be rampant in any area the these criminals want to set up. I do not know the technique that was employed and my bank couldn't tell me either just that my card was "compromised" not that I cared to know the way, just that my money was safe. You also seem to insinuate because some other source (krebs) tells you that ATM fraud is rampant in this area of Mexico it is so, even though in my experience related to you, it is not. (you chose to believe krebs). Whats your experience? , I would guess different than mine from your responses!
Now,
If i was to tell you that I was planning on renting a car for my travels in Mexico but decided against it because there are so many reports of corrupt cops collecting bribes. What would you tell me? , that I am right?, that corrupt cops are so rampant that i would be lucky to get out of Cancun with any money left at all !!

So you have no idea if your card was pirated at an ATM or not? Thanks for your contribution to this thread, none the less..

Ok...

And your bank couldn't tell you? And, you weren't interested in learning how your card was in essence stolen?

Ok.........

Yikes!

Last edited by Sogno; 06-23-2017 at 10:39 PM..
Sogno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017   #34 (permalink)
añejo
 
WaterRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Posts: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogno View Post
Part 2 of Kreb's experiences in this region, in case anyone missed it.

Here: Tracking Bluetooth Skimmers in Mexico, Part II — Krebs on Security
Read it a long time ago, in it's entirety, hence my reason for stating that it was not credible.

In fact, I printed it off, and it's on my bookshelf separating my collections of works by Rudyard Kipling and Margaret Wise Brown.

You've obviously got some time. Replicate the good sleuth's findings, using an ATM in an airport, grocery store, bank or bank foyer, somewhere (anywhere), between Puerto Morelos and Tulum, and on Cozumel from the airport to Punta Langosta.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017   #35 (permalink)
way into it
 
AZGonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogno View Post
And you're incorrect. In the several instances my cc was pirated, my cc company told me the date, approximate time, location, and general idea of recipient merchant.

Really? Your card is pirated, and the cc company can't tell you how? Not even the type of transaction?

Can they tell you when?

Really??

Or you didn't ask??

Huh??
There are always a few of your type in every internet forum. I'm relatively new here, and everyone seems to be friendly and helpful. You on the other hand...

Since you know everything, please tell me this...where is the "Ignore Button"?
AZGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017   #36 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGonzo View Post
There are always a few of your type in every internet forum. I'm relatively new here, and everyone seems to be friendly and helpful. You on the other hand...

Since you know everything, please tell me this...where is the "Ignore Button"?
You can BLOCK posters that you find negative or really have nothing to say.
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017   #37 (permalink)
Me2
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogno View Post
So you have no idea if your card was pirated at an ATM or not? Thanks for your contribution to this thread, none the less..

Ok...

And your bank couldn't tell you? And, you weren't interested in learning how your card was in essence stolen?

Ok.........

Yikes!
No, they told me the location of the ATM's, call me silly but I was more concerned about my money than the method used.
Your making a bigger deal of this than it is. With all these people now checking for these signals from ATM's there has been no reports of such, which you think there would be if the problem is so wide spread.
I have never heard a report of anyone being out money, electronic fraud is not new and financial institutes cover this type of fraud just as a matter of fact. Having gone through this I am confident that I am covered if it may happen again.

Last edited by Me2; 06-25-2017 at 09:22 AM..
Me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017   #38 (permalink)
way into it
 
AZGonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
No, they told me the location of the ATM's, call me silly but I was more concerned about my money than the method used.
Your making a bigger deal of this than it is. With all these people now checking for these signals from ATM's there has been no reports of such, which you think there would be if the problem is so wide spread.
I have never heard a report of anyone being out money, electronic fraud is not new and financial institutes cover this type of fraud just as a matter of fact. Having gone through this I am confident that I am covered if it may happen again.
I think he is confused. Anyone can clearly see when/where the card was illegally used. What we don't know is exactly when/where the info was compromised in the first place...
AZGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017   #39 (permalink)
lost on fifth
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGonzo View Post
I think he is confused. Anyone can clearly see when/where the card was illegally used. What we don't know is exactly when/where the info was compromised in the first place...
I am Canadian also and have travelled to Q Roo/Yucatan for over 20 years and many other locations as well in recent years

My bank/debit card was compromised somewhere? (they couldn't tell me where) but was used in Florida several times over a day or two before I was advised and refunded 100%.

Many banks and credit card companies like to note when and where you plan to be if not at home. Reporting this is part of my routine before travelling and was extremely surprised this year to find one (only one) of my credit card banks saying it was no longer necessary.
Lizinvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017   #40 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Sogno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Read it a long time ago, in it's entirety, hence my reason for stating that it was not credible.

In fact, I printed it off, and it's on my bookshelf separating my collections of works by Rudyard Kipling and Margaret Wise Brown.

You've obviously got some time. Replicate the good sleuth's findings, using an ATM in an airport, grocery store, bank or bank foyer, somewhere (anywhere), between Puerto Morelos and Tulum, and on Cozumel from the airport to Punta Langosta.
What isn't credible? You've chosen not to support your own argument, but I'm willing to listen. What is it?

And your second point is what? Re-read the article and you'll see he mentioned a grocery store ATM that was compromised. And the others? There is no relevance or problem if an ATM not located in a bank is ripping people off? What, no one uses any ATM unless they're located there, thus "nothing to see here...not credible..."

What????
Sogno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017   #41 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Sogno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Everyone is corruptible.

I didn't know that any machine will be compromised.

Mr Krebs article was not credible, based on his most peculiar choices of ATM's to expose. Yes, he's well known, but inquiring minds have to wonder how much of his expertise is creative writing and marketing, as was clearly the case when he exposed all of those compromised ATM's.
He found compromised ATM's at:

Marriott CasaMagna

Barcelo (several ATM's)

Tulum (at tourist drop off point)

Playa (5th Ave.)

Cozumel (4 ATM's 2km from dock)

Cancun's Plaza Caracol


Tell me, what specifically is suspect in finding corrupted ATM's at these locations?

Again, please don't be vague. If you feel there's some underlying conspiracy or creative writing, what is it you're referring to?

Let me help you with this - complete this sentence "Kreb's credibility is lacking in locating these skimming ATM's at each of the locations mentioned above because _____________ ."

You're suggesting Kreb's credibility is lacking. So, we should instead feel that "WaterRat", an anonymous someone on a Playa forum has more credibility? Simply because you said so, without providing yet a shred of evidence.

Really?

As far as your suggestion of "creative writing", here's your attempt at that: "In fact, I printed it off, and it's on my bookshelf separating my collections of works by Rudyard Kipling and Margaret Wise Brown".

Last edited by Sogno; 06-25-2017 at 11:54 AM..
Sogno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017   #42 (permalink)
añejo
 
beerbreath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 10,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogno View Post
He found compromised ATM's at:

Marriott CasaMagna

Barcelo (several ATM's)

Tulum (at tourist drop off point)

Playa (5th Ave.)

Cozumel (4 ATM's 2km from dock)

Cancun's Plaza Caracol


Tell me, what specifically is suspect in finding corrupted ATM's at these locations?

Again, please don't be vague. If you feel there's some underlying conspiracy or creative writing, what do is it you're referring to?

Let me help you with this - complete this sentence "Kreb's credibility is lacking in locating these skimming ATM's at each of the locations mentioned above because _____________ ."

You're suggesting Kreb's credibility is lacking. So, we should instead feel that "WaterRat", and anonymous someone on a Playa forum has more credibility? Simply because you said so, without providing yet a shred of evidence.

Really?
Dude,we get it,you hate Mexico.Now let it go.
beerbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017   #43 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 586
Krebs is the most respected security expert in the industry. He exposed a skimming technique that no one knew about. Without the article no one would have known about the Bluetooth operation and those machines would still be operating.
cabodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017   #44 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Sogno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbreath View Post
Dude,we get it,you hate Mexico.Now let it go.

Typical response from Beerboy.

Yeah, I hate Mexico. That must be why I've been visiting there for the past 25+ years, and have our 2018 trip already booked.

This is the best you can do?

Have another beer..

Last edited by Sogno; 06-25-2017 at 11:52 AM..
Sogno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017   #45 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBeGood View Post
Sogno,

I agree with you 100% (even though you trolled a post I made a week ago; not nice). I call it, "Playa Fever." I like the "Playa Cheerleader" thing though. Funny.

The "that can happen anywhere" line is the most common defense you get. In all honesty, "that can happen anywhere" is a pretty damn lame excuse for making a point. But it's a quick and easy knee-jerk response to just about any criticism. Worst of all—it's true. Albeit completely useless because it doesn't mention anything about relative rates of occurrence.

Essentially, it's like a raging alcoholic justifying their drinking by saying, "most adults drink alcohol" as if the AMOUNT of alcohol they drink (compared to the others) is completely irrelevant. Ughhh!!! You can't fix stupid.

This is an amazing place, but, you're right—its got some serious problems that the local government refuses to address. And it doesn't help that so many expats are so punch drunk about the place that they take criticism of Playa so personally.

I live here, and I really enjoy living here, but to suggest that everything is perfect here is a big fat lie.
Build a strawman and they will come? Who has suggested that everything is perfect here?

Unless one was given a written assurance of immunity from anything negative happening to them upon their moving to Playa, then "it happens everywhere" is a perfectly acceptable line of reasoning to bring up.

The usual complaints newbies have in Playa are related to the fact that they thought they could move to Playa and live exactly liked they lived at home but with nicer weather and a cheaper cost of living. They want everyone to be on time and to speak English. They want to enjoy nature but without the naturally occurring seaweed and beach erosion. They expect paradise when paradise is a state of mind not a place. No matter where you live, you have to take you with you. If you are a miserable sod, the beautiful blues of the Mar Caribe aren't gonna change that.

It is not cheerleading to point these things out or to correct inaccurate or exaggerated postings. Shit does happen everywhere. NO ONE has claimed that Playa is perfect but after living here for 14 years, a lot less shit happens here than in most of the other places I have lived. Of course, as more people (many of the aforementioned looking for geographical cures) move here, that will probably change. The good thing is that the miserable tend to rotate on out.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.