Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2017   #16 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contador View Post
Haha! A friend of mine told me that place is pretty nice, but nothing like Marlin Safari. So he said...
That depends on exactly what you want to buy and just how much you are willing to pay for it
absoluteAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017   #17 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
Probably vacation - not closed.
I was told that when I first reported their demise, the tables had been removed. I can verify that as true as I saw it ( no tables). Maybe a new owner
Remodel. I never saw anyone working there.
Maybe all fake news
absoluteAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017   #18 (permalink)
añejo
 
angelhouston819's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dallas (Addison) Texas
Posts: 10,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
I was told that when I first reported their demise, the tables had been removed. I can verify that as true as I saw it ( no tables). Maybe a new owner
Remodel. I never saw anyone working there.
Maybe all fake news
keep us posted, please, Al. thanks!
angelhouston819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017   #19 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 155
We ate there a couple of times last April and the food was very good. They also had a great singer/entertainer there a few evenings. Lots of fun.

As for the....."heavily tattooed woman working there trying to grab some customers from out on La Quinta, she looked like maybe she was on drugs." ....she is a wonderful, friendly gal from British Columbia who always made us feel so welcome to the restaurant. Very outgoing....but "on drugs"....don't think so. Jeeeezzzzz!
northplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017   #20 (permalink)
añejo
 
WaterRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by northplaya View Post
We ate there a couple of times last April and the food was very good. They also had a great singer/entertainer there a few evenings. Lots of fun.

As for the....."heavily tattooed woman working there trying to grab some customers from out on La Quinta, she looked like maybe she was on drugs." ....she is a wonderful, friendly gal from British Columbia who always made us feel so welcome to the restaurant. Very outgoing....but "on drugs"....don't think so. Jeeeezzzzz!
Now you know where some of the Trip Advisor reviews come from.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017   #21 (permalink)
very sparkly
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Breckenridge CO
Posts: 34
My perception based on her appearance and the way she was laying on the planters and stumbling around in the street. My wife thought the same thing. Glad to hear she's a nice person and not a drug addict, wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Contador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017   #22 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,748
Mystery solved

Yes, Salt Rock Grille had closed. It is reopened now with new owners.
absoluteAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017   #23 (permalink)
añejo
 
angelhouston819's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dallas (Addison) Texas
Posts: 10,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
Yes, Salt Rock Grille had closed. It is reopened now with new owners.
thanks!
angelhouston819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017   #24 (permalink)
into ruins
 
Briski52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 62
Ii was in playa last week and the Salt Rock was open
Briski52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017   #25 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briski52 View Post
Ii was in playa last week and the Salt Rock was open
Re-opened. New owners. Same name
absoluteAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017   #26 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 77,923
This issue is not whether it is open. The question is, now that it has been re-opened, is the food good and is the value good?

Without those answers, well, we just do not know.

If it is moderately expensive, my pesos will not be spent there without answers to those questions.

Last edited by roni; 07-07-2017 at 11:14 AM..
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017   #27 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
This issue is not whether it is open. The question is, now that it has been re-opened, is the food good and is the value good?
Yes, and my point was, having owned bars and restaurants, that the new owners, in my opinion, make a big mistake keeping the same name and not coming up with a new name. The original owners did a great job but the place seems to have gone to with the second owners. So, personally, I think that a name change was in order.

By the way, several good articles about Merida in the Yucatan Times if you have not seen them yet:
Meet the New Merida: A provincial town morphs into an urban metropolis - The Yucatan Times

Mérida, Yucatán: Healthcare capital of the Southeast - The Yucatan Times
absoluteAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017   #28 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 77,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
Yes, and my point was, having owned bars and restaurants, that the new owners, in my opinion, make a big mistake keeping the same name and not coming up with a new name. The original owners did a great job but the place seems to have gone to with the second owners. So, personally, I think that a name change was in order.

By the way, several good articles about Merida in the Yucatan Times if you have not seen them yet:
Both of those articles articulate some of the reasons we moved here 3 1/2 years ago.

The growth is getting out of hand though , but most of it is out north, that will make it more difficult to run over to Progreso, but will be a mere annoyance.
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017   #29 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
Yes, Salt Rock Grille had closed. It is reopened now with new owners.
Well, the new owners of the Salt Rock Grille lasted all of approximately 2 1/2 months. Walked by early today and the place was closed up tight and the Salt Rock Grille sign was gone. RIP
absoluteAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017   #30 (permalink)
añejo
 
angelhouston819's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dallas (Addison) Texas
Posts: 10,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
Well, the new owners of the Salt Rock Grille lasted all of approximately 2 1/2 months. Walked by early today and the place was closed up tight and the Salt Rock Grille sign was gone. RIP
thanks for the update....
angelhouston819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.