Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2017   #1 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,543
Salt Rock Grille Closed

I receive a call from a reliable source the other day that the Salt Rock Grille owners were packing it up. Last night, I personally confirmed that, yes, the Salt Rock has closed for good. The original owners did quite well but the new owners didn't seem to be able to make a go of it. RIP.

Last edited by absoluteAL; 06-28-2017 at 04:26 PM..
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017   #2 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 53
That's a pity we ate there 2 year ago when we were there but not this time when we were passing it seemed very quite
ladyluckireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017   #3 (permalink)
añejo
 
angelhouston819's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dallas (Addison) Texas
Posts: 10,582
we have eaten there in the past and the food/service were great. had a peep meet/meal there last November and both were awful.
angelhouston819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017   #4 (permalink)
añejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,588
The worst nachos ever. EVER.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017   #5 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelhouston819 View Post
we have eaten there in the past and the food/service were great. had a peep meet/meal there last November and both were awful.
The new owners were running the place
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017   #6 (permalink)
añejo
 
angelhouston819's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dallas (Addison) Texas
Posts: 10,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
The new owners were running the place
yes, i met the husband. he wasn't very friendly to us and the food was terrible. i was embarrassed that i had organized a group meal there.
angelhouston819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017   #7 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,506
Won't be missed.

Terrible food and service last February.
loomis41973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017   #8 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,928
Is there a single good restaurant with Grille in its name? Globally, I mean.
ProfessorPibil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017   #9 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,238
I dunno. I never ate there.

I tend not to go to trendy places.

They are often a waste of time and money.
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017   #10 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
I receive a call from a reliable source the other day that the Salt Rock Grille owners were packing it up. Last night, I personally confirmed that, yes, the Salt Rock has closed for good. The original owners did quite well but the new owners didn't seem to be able to make a go of it. RIP.
Well, my "reliable source" notified me today that I looks like they are reopening
So much for that reliable source.
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017   #11 (permalink)
lost on fifth
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Breckenridge CO
Posts: 23
The original owners are really nice people. I think he was from Argentina and she was from the Netherlands. We were at Club de la Cerveza last month and noticed they were gone. There was a heavily tattooed woman working there trying to grab some customers from out on La Quinta, she looked like maybe she was on drugs.

As for a good restaurant with "Grille" in the name, try Capital Grille. The one in Denver is fantastic.
Contador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017   #12 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contador View Post
The original owners are really nice people. I think he was from Argentina and she was from the Netherlands. We were at Club de la Cerveza last month and noticed they were gone. There was a heavily tattooed woman working there trying to grab some customers from out on La Quinta, she looked like maybe she was on drugs.

As for a good restaurant with "Grille" in the name, try Capital Grille. The one in Denver is fantastic.
When in Denver, I prefer the Diamond Cabaret and Steakhouse - the best of both worlds

Also nothing like hanging out at El-Chapultepec http://www.thepeclodo.com/

Last edited by absoluteAL; 06-28-2017 at 07:29 PM..
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017   #13 (permalink)
lost on fifth
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Breckenridge CO
Posts: 23
Haha! A friend of mine told me that place is pretty nice, but nothing like Marlin Safari. So he said...
Contador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017   #14 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
Well, my "reliable source" notified me today that I looks like they are reopening
So much for that reliable source.
So, the restaurant got new owners

The new owners sucked and the place closed.

Now they are going to reopen.

Not exactly an inducement to go there.
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017   #15 (permalink)
añejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
So, the restaurant got new owners

The new owners sucked and the place closed.

Now they are going to reopen.

Not exactly an inducement to go there.
Probably vacation - not closed.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.