Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Off Topic Stuff > General Off-Topic Stuff
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2017   #1 (permalink)
aņejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,240
Philando Castile Case

Figure this deserves its own thread as it hasn't been getting the coverage I believe it deserves.

I do not know how any reasonable person could see that video and conclude that the cop was innocent. Not even a manslaughter charge stuck. What a complete travesty of justice.

I have called out BLM when they were pushing false narratives like Michael Brown but I'll be damned if they don't have a good case here. Why was he shot and killed by the cops? The only reason I can come up with is his skin color. He did everything he was supposed to and the cop filled him full of lead.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017   #2 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Mnbruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Louis Park,Mn.
Posts: 11,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
Figure this deserves its own thread as it hasn't been getting the coverage I believe it deserves.

I do not know how any reasonable person could see that video and conclude that the cop was innocent. Not even a manslaughter charge stuck. What a complete travesty of justice.

I have called out BLM when they were pushing false narratives like Michael Brown but I'll be damned if they don't have a good case here. Why was he shot and killed by the cops? The only reason I can come up with is his skin color. He did everything he was supposed to and the cop filled him full of lead.
I take every police shooting as a separate incident, and often I understand why a officer either is not charged or is found not guilty in a questionable shooting, but I am really shaking my head on this one. I was thinking that a hung jury was likely because there are just some people who would never convict an police officer, but I was thinking that there may be a conviction on the lesser charges.

Some of my very few Facebook friends are very close to this whole ordeal. One was Philando's co-worker and best friend, and a few are extremely active in the St. Paul community regarding social injustices. Some are of course part of the BLM movement, and this has really been eye opening for me to see and hear this all from their perspectives. The emotions are all over the place. Very sad thing to be observing, and something that need not have happen. A tragedy, and what seems to me to be the injustice that so many in the community rail about.
Mnbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017   #3 (permalink)
aņejo
 
horizon200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,678
I'll be honest, I have not followed the case closely. But, from what I just watched on the video, I don't think I feel there is enough evidence in it alone to convict.
We have a man that tells the cop he has a gun. So, now the cop is on a heightened state of alert. He correctly tells the man not to reach for it. From what we see, we can't tell if he did or did not reach for it. So, next we have to revert to what we're hearing on the video since we can't see the movements. So, without definitive proof that the Castille DIDN'T reach for the gun, how can one think this video alone is enough to convict?

Is there another video that I'm missing?
horizon200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017   #4 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Mnbruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Louis Park,Mn.
Posts: 11,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon200 View Post
I'll be honest, I have not followed the case closely. But, from what I just watched on the video, I don't think I feel there is enough evidence in it alone to convict.
We have a man that tells the cop he has a gun. So, now the cop is on a heightened state of alert. He correctly tells the man not to reach for it. From what we see, we can't tell if he did or did not reach for it. So, next we have to revert to what we're hearing on the video since we can't see the movements. So, without definitive proof that the Castille DIDN'T reach for the gun, how can one think this video alone is enough to convict?

Is there another video that I'm missing?
The video was a large part of the case, but there was more.

This young man died because he was black, because he was absolutely pulled over because of his color.
Mnbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017   #5 (permalink)
aņejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon200 View Post
I'll be honest, I have not followed the case closely. But, from what I just watched on the video, I don't think I feel there is enough evidence in it alone to convict.
We have a man that tells the cop he has a gun. So, now the cop is on a heightened state of alert. He correctly tells the man not to reach for it. From what we see, we can't tell if he did or did not reach for it. So, next we have to revert to what we're hearing on the video since we can't see the movements. So, without definitive proof that the Castille DIDN'T reach for the gun, how can one think this video alone is enough to convict?

Is there another video that I'm missing?
No, as far as I know there is just the dashcam video.

Castile states that he has a firearem. If he were planning on using it, why would he tell the police officer? The cop was just leaning in the car explaining brake lights and as soon as he is told that there is a firearm, he goes into panic mode. The Castile had a duty to tell him and did so.

I am no cop and won't pretend to know how it feels but, sheesh, he had to have had better training than that. He just freaked out and started filling the car with bullets. He lost it. I hope his family sues the shit out of everyone involved.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017   #6 (permalink)
aņejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnbruce View Post
The video was a large part of the case, but there was more.

This young man died because he was black, because he was absolutely pulled over because of his color.
I don't know that he was pulled over for being black but I am pretty sure it played a part in the gun part. If a white guy had said he had a legal firearm in the car, I bet the officer would not have been so quick to panic. Again, I cannot imagine the pressure a cop faces but they are supposed to do better. That is why they are cops.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017   #7 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Mnbruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Louis Park,Mn.
Posts: 11,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
I don't know that he was pulled over for being black but I am pretty sure it played a part in the gun part. If a white guy had said he had a legal firearm in the car, I bet the officer would not have been so quick to panic. Again, I cannot imagine the pressure a cop faces but they are supposed to do better. That is why they are cops.
From the beginning it has been known that he was pulled over because he was black.

We have set the bar low for police officers. This officer might have been trained, but he was not emotionally capable of handling a stressful situation. It likely was only a stressful situation because of the officers emotional state.

Last edited by Mnbruce; 06-21-2017 at 09:53 PM..
Mnbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017   #8 (permalink)
aņejo
 
CalifGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
No, as far as I know there is just the dashcam video.

Castile states that he has a firearem. If he were planning on using it, why would he tell the police officer? The cop was just leaning in the car explaining brake lights and as soon as he is told that there is a firearm, he goes into panic mode. The Castile had a duty to tell him and did so.

I am no cop and won't pretend to know how it feels but, sheesh, he had to have had better training than that. He just freaked out and started filling the car with bullets. He lost it. I hope his family sues the shit out of everyone involved.
Didn't his female passenger take a video with her cell phone?
At any rate I completely agree with you, watching the video made me sick, sick and mad that what that cop did was murder plain and simple and yet he walks.

Anyone know the composition of the jury?
CalifGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017   #9 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Dan-0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 5,138
The dashcam video is inconclusive because you can't see Castile or what he was doing in it. If he was going for his gun I believe the officer was justified. I don't believe the officer has to wait to see what his intentions in going for the gun were.

Having said that, I do think this cop was a little quick in his reaction. But watch the Kyle Dinkheller dashcam video on YT to see what happens to cops who hesitate in using deadly force when it's called for. Almost all cops are required to watch that video in the academy. It will give you nightmares.
Dan-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017   #10 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Mnbruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Louis Park,Mn.
Posts: 11,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifGuy View Post
Didn't his female passenger take a video with her cell phone?
At any rate I completely agree with you, watching the video made me sick, sick and mad that what that cop did was murder plain and simple and yet he walks.

Anyone know the composition of the jury?
10 white and two of color.
Mnbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017   #11 (permalink)
aņejo
 
MN Annie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,943
Philandro had been stopped by the police 52 times for minor traffic infractions. I doubt that this was the time he was going to shoot the officer.

It made me sick to watch the dash cam video.
MN Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017   #12 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Annie View Post
Philandro had been stopped by the police 52 times for minor traffic infractions. I doubt that this was the time he was going to shoot the officer.

It made me sick to watch the dash cam video.
51+ times of not learning to carry a weapon in the car, smoke dope in front of your young kid, looking over your vehicle so you wont get pulled over, not high as **** while driving impaired, FULLY Complying with the Officer .... Jesus - You think someone would some time in their life finally get a forking clue on the procedure ??

Last edited by DanD; 06-22-2017 at 01:16 AM..
DanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017   #13 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 113
Smartest thing that Officer did while his life was on the line protecting the community- was to not empty his clip - so he could back up his partner when he took the child from harms way.

Seriously - Put your life in either of those situations. Or even the kids ?
DanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017   #14 (permalink)
aņejo
 
horizon200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,678
I have to agree with Dan-O. This video alone is inconclusive because you cannot see what the cop was seeing. Is it terrible that it came to Castille being shot...yes. But, unless you were sitting in the court room, you can't make the judgement on this alone.

What bothered me is how long it took to attempt to get him out of the car once he'd been shot and the others were out of harms way.

Strictly Monday morning quarterbacking. But, once he declared he had a gun, why not ask him to step out of the car? Something like..."OK Sir, since you've declared you have a gun, please keep your hands where I can see them and step out of the vehicle for everyone's safety."
horizon200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017   #15 (permalink)
aņejo
 
beerbreath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 10,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
Figure this deserves its own thread as it hasn't been getting the coverage I believe it deserves.

I do not know how any reasonable person could see that video and conclude that the cop was innocent. Not even a manslaughter charge stuck. What a complete travesty of justice.

I have called out BLM when they were pushing false narratives like Michael Brown but I'll be damned if they don't have a good case here. Why was he shot and killed by the cops? The only reason I can come up with is his skin color. He did everything he was supposed to and the cop filled him full of lead.
We agree on this.
beerbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.