Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2017   #1 (permalink)
Rob
sandflea
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2
Getting a Mexican drivers license

I have a Canadian drivers license comming up for renewal. I am here on a tourist visa. I read a old post from a guy that got a 4 year Mexicam drivers license in Tulum and he was on a tourist visa. That post was from
sandangel back in 2009
I hear they only give you a Mexican drivers license for the time left on your visa. Anyone know of a workaround.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017   #2 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I have a Canadian drivers license comming up for renewal. I am here on a tourist visa. I read a old post from a guy that got a 4 year Mexicam drivers license in Tulum and he was on a tourist visa. That post was from
sandangel back in 2009
I hear they only give you a Mexican drivers license for the time left on your visa. Anyone know of a workaround.
Odd (to me) system here - each town/city issues its own license, and Tulum is relatively easy - go in the morning, have it by 1 in the PM. Mine was for the remaining time on my visa. I now have a four-year 'visa', so looking forward (sorta) to whatever surprise they can come up with. Suerte!
beam-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017   #3 (permalink)
Rob
sandflea
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beam-eye View Post
Odd (to me) system here - each town/city issues its own license, and Tulum is relatively easy - go in the morning, have it by 1 in the PM. Mine was for the remaining time on my visa. I now have a four-year 'visa', so looking forward (sorta) to whatever surprise they can come up with. Suerte!
Thanks for replying 4 year visa lucky you! I wonder how that guy got a 4 year license on a 6 month tourist visa?

Do you know the location of the license office in Tulum? I am in Playa thought I would check it out.

Last edited by Rob; 06-23-2017 at 02:45 PM..
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017   #4 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Thanks for replying 4 year visa lucky you! I wonder how that guy got a 4 year license on a 6 month tourist visa?

Do you know the location of the license office in Tulum? I am in Playa thought I would check it out.
In the fire station on the road to Chedraui (turn beachward at the stop light on the corner where - I think - the AKI is) (unless they still call it San Francisco instead of AKI)
beam-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017   #5 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by beam-eye View Post
Odd (to me) system here - each town/city issues its own license, and Tulum is relatively easy - go in the morning, have it by 1 in the PM. Mine was for the remaining time on my visa. I now have a four-year 'visa', so looking forward (sorta) to whatever surprise they can come up with. Suerte!
My visa lasts for the rest of my life. Would my license also?
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017   #6 (permalink)
añejo
 
Bluespicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: PdC
Posts: 5,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
My visa lasts for the rest of my life. Would my license also?
no. with a copy of my birth certificate I got a five year......they wouldn't give me a license when I was in process for my permanente.....pain in the ass but I was glad when I got it. Only have to renew now.
Bluespicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017   #7 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluespicker View Post
no. with a copy of my birth certificate I got a five year......they wouldn't give me a license when I was in process for my permanente.....pain in the ass but I was glad when I got it. Only have to renew now.
Make sure that you don't let it expire. If you do, the process starts all over from the beginning.
I just renewed my second 5 year drivers license. When I went there, I made sure that I had copies of EVERYTHING including my Residente Permanente. The only thing that I forgot was my passport . So I had to drive home, get my U.S. passport, make copies, drive back there and get in line again . But I am good to go for another 5 years.

And last time I was in Mexico City, I also got a CDMX drivers license!
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017   #8 (permalink)
añejo
 
Bluespicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: PdC
Posts: 5,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
Make sure that you don't let it expire. If you do, the process starts all over from the beginning.
I just renewed my second 5 year drivers license. When I went there, I made sure that I had copies of EVERYTHING including my Residente Permanente. The only thing that I forgot was my passport . So I had to drive home, get my U.S. passport, make copies, drive back there and get in line again . But I am good to go for another 5 years.

And last time I was in Mexico City, I also got a CDMX drivers license!
I think you only get a two week grace period. Next August will be my renewal.
Bluespicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.