Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2017   #271 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
Deaths of innocent civilians getting from one place to another? Edit: I am gonna go with three. Most likely motorcycle accidents.
Okay. So, proportionately higher than at a city of over a million people.

My point exactly.
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017   #272 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,471
Our cat survived, as did his sister

roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017   #273 (permalink)
way into it
 
hummbaby11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Roseville, California
Posts: 225
I know this is a bit early, but will the setup be similar (DJ playing music videos from all era's, free shot if you dance on the bar) and name be the same at the new place? Also, any idea if it will be completed by Super Bowl? Wishful thinking obviously as that is the next time I will be down.
hummbaby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017   #274 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummbaby11 View Post
I know this is a bit early, but will the setup be similar (DJ playing music videos from all era's, free shot if you dance on the bar) and name be the same at the new place? Also, any idea if it will be completed by Super Bowl? Wishful thinking obviously as that is the next time I will be down.
I heard that the new Tequila Bar will reopen in December. I doubt it.
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017   #275 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
I heard that the new Tequila Bar will reopen in December. I doubt it.
Nice to get back on topic as this started out being about the Tequila Barrel then went sideways
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017   #276 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by badcompany View Post
Nice to get back on topic as this started out being about the Tequila Barrel then went sideways
I was sort of wondering about the number of posts myself
The renderings that I have seen of the new Tequila Barrel to me look in keeping with the new upcoming, more glitzy Playa. But certainly nothing like the Tequila Barrel that I recall in 2000-2001
But I can also remember when the sand (actually coral) did not stick to you either when you went to the beach.
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017   #277 (permalink)
way into it
 
hummbaby11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Roseville, California
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
I was sort of wondering about the number of posts myself
The renderings that I have seen of the new Tequila Barrel to me look in keeping with the new upcoming, more glitzy Playa. But certainly nothing like the Tequila Barrel that I recall in 2000-2001
But I can also remember when the sand (actually coral) did not stick to you either when you went to the beach.
Thanks for the info Al. Much appreciated. I sure hope they keep the same kind of vibe at least in the bar area with the loud random music videos playing on the tv's and high energy vibe. Never had a dull moment in that place and loved that one minute I could be watching an MC Hammer, "You Can't Touch This" video, only to be followed by "One" by Metallica. Cheers
hummbaby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017   #278 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummbaby11 View Post
Thanks for the info Al. Much appreciated. I sure hope they keep the same kind of vibe at least in the bar area with the loud random music videos playing on the tv's and high energy vibe. Never had a dull moment in that place and loved that one minute I could be watching an MC Hammer, "You Can't Touch This" video, only to be followed by "One" by Metallica. Cheers
T.B., IMO, for years and years, played the best selection of (Rock n Rock) music in Playa. Also, always the best people watching spot in Playa.
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017   #279 (permalink)
way into it
 
hummbaby11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Roseville, California
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
T.B., IMO, for years and years, played the best selection of (Rock n Rock) music in Playa. Also, always the best people watching spot in Playa.
Totally agree Al!
hummbaby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017   #280 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummbaby11 View Post
Totally agree Al!
I second that a great spot for a lay over while srtolling down 5th ! Saw many a friends wife dance on the bar
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017   #281 (permalink)
way into it
 
AndyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 157
My first meal in PDC was lunch at TB... I had the Hamburger Tacos and thought they were great and that I was muy authentico... lol I had no clue.
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017   #282 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
My first meal in PDC was lunch at TB... I had the Hamburger Tacos and thought they were great and that I was muy authentico... lol I had no clue.
Thanks for the memories. Kathy and I just talked - on our first trip, in May 2003, we also ate at the Tequila Barrel, and

Tacos Arabe, La Tarraya, Frida's, Palapa Hemingway, La Floresta, Tico Taco (or was it Taco Tico, a beach club or two (Mamitas), then it was on to Tulum.


Last edited by roni; 07-28-2017 at 01:26 PM..
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017   #283 (permalink)
life=playa
 
karona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: victoria bc
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
Well...not really.
It's a shame it's not the sleepy fishing village that no one remembers.

I remember it when it was a sleepy fishing village.... loved it then... still like it
karona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017   #284 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: midhurst ontario
Posts: 250
I've never consideredTequila Barrel as my "go to" bar in Playa, but we always seemed to wind up there once or twice for a couple of drinks and people watching! Great location and a fun spot. On second thought, I guess it has been a "go to" place!
playalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017   #285 (permalink)
into ruins
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Waterloo, ON/Playa Del Carmen, QR
Posts: 77
I've never been much for TB at all really can't understand all the fuss. I've been 2 or 3 times at the urging of others or using it as a landmark that people not that familiar with the area can find. One of the guys I used to work with said they have/had the best chicken wings in PDC. I don't come to PDC for chicken wings and not paying the prices TB likes to charge so I'll never know I suppose.

The part with replacing it with a tall building there's less and less sun on 5th ave all the time. Soon it be a big tunnel you walk through.
teebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.