Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2017   #91 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
crmoores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Finger Lakes & Playa!
Posts: 380
>> I am getting tired of defending Mexico to all our friends for vacationing there.They think we are nuts for going,with all the violence and corruption <<

Yes the recent headlines make it easier for the Mexico naysayers at home (and here) to have a field day...
crmoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017   #92 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBeGood View Post
Apparently a shooting at Tequila Barrel. That's the word on the street. Friend whose mom is a cop here.

According to her, it happened at Tequila Barrel.

Wow! I hope this place doesn't turn in to Acapulco.

Long live PDC!!!
No. That is incorrect and you started a thread about it?
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017   #93 (permalink)
ruined
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
This is getting out of hand.
A killing on 5th between 10th and 12th at 7:40 tonight.
Jeez.
Yeah, the first shootings at Blue Parrot you can justify 'well it was late at a music festival where drugs flow freely'

Second shooting 'well it was at a bar on a side street later at night and they were targeting the owner'

This, shooting at prime 5th avenue walking time on the main drag by a popular bar could start to really turn things for the worse. The first time an innocent tourist gets shot will really be indicative of which direction things are headed.
chebyrashka74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017   #94 (permalink)
life=playa
 
DrewJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 691
On 5th during normal hours is horrible and frightening, but a little perspective for the "ZOMG! This is Acapulco!" crowd.


Acapulco is (or at least was recently) averaging five murders PER DAY. That city only about 3 times bigger than Playa, so scaling down to size would be like if this were happening every day 1 - 2 times.


Playa is on pace for something like 30 murders for the year, or about 1 every 10 days. That puts us (with 200k people) around 15 murders per 100k people per year. That is higher than Europe, Canada, and parts of the US, b that's a quarter of the rate of "violent" cities like St Louis, Detroit, Baltimore, etc.


And if you increased the rate by a factor of 10, it would still be less than "OMG!!!! ACAPULCO!"
DrewJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017   #95 (permalink)
way into it
 
Fatjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: New York . 75 Rockefeller Plaza
Posts: 240
young sicarios trying to prove themself
Fatjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017   #96 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,394
and a little more perspective yet for the 'Acapulco blah blah blah' crowd....

There are thousands of foreign tourists still going to Acapulco every winter, and staying all winter many of them, who feel very safe there and get quite defensive over people constantly picking at their city, too. It's a very large city and there are certainly areas tourists should not go there- but overall, for tourists it's still considered quite safe- the cartel violence everywhere is not resulting in violence against innocent tourists, even there.

If you don't believe me, you can go on TA and read some of threads....the only 'don't go there!' posts are people who don't go and have never been- not the frequent travelers, who say 'go, it's great, but just be smart'.

This drug war is ten plus years old now. Areas where there is conflict ebb and wane depending on who has control over the plazas and how much the gov't/police/military is cooperating or not.

There are hotspots, for sure, and ACA and Guerrero is one of the biggest and most homicides in the country. But it's targeted violence....violence against tourists and in tourist areas is still very rare, even with the uptick in violence almost everywere (PV, Cabo (lots of stuff there these days!), and now this area too) in the past year.

Crossing my fingers people chill the f out and things calm there and everywhere....does it even pay to wish naively for 'an end to the drug war'? naw, Nancy Reagan is a dreamer.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017   #97 (permalink)
aņejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatjoe View Post
young sicarios trying to prove themself
Or political forces trying to create a sense of insecurity in order to use as a bargaining chip. Just a popular theory being bandied about.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017   #98 (permalink)
aņejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
and a little more perspective yet for the 'Acapulco blah blah blah' crowd....

There are thousands of foreign tourists still going to Acapulco every winter, and staying all winter many of them, who feel very safe there and get quite defensive over people constantly picking at their city, too. It's a very large city and there are certainly areas tourists should not go there- but overall, for tourists it's still considered quite safe- the cartel violence everywhere is not resulting in violence against innocent tourists, even there.

If you don't believe me, you can go on TA and read some of threads....the only 'don't go there!' posts are people who don't go and have never been- not the frequent travelers, who say 'go, it's great, but just be smart'.

This drug war is ten plus years old now. Areas where there is conflict ebb and wane depending on who has control over the plazas and how much the gov't/police/military is cooperating or not.

There are hotspots, for sure, and ACA and Guerrero is one of the biggest and most homicides in the country. But it's targeted violence....violence against tourists and in tourist areas is still very rare, even with the uptick in violence almost everywere (PV, Cabo (lots of stuff there these days!), and now this area too) in the past year.

Crossing my fingers people chill the f out and things calm there and everywhere....does it even pay to wish naively for 'an end to the drug war'? naw, Nancy Reagan is a dreamer.
What most people don't realize when they hear things about Acapulco or Nuevo Leon or Culican and other areas of violence is that most of the killings happen in small enclaves in these cities. Much like the Benning Road area of Washington DC back in the day of it being the murder capital of the US. Bodies were stacking up in the drug markets while the rest of the city remained pretty much safe. Same situations in Acapulco and the others.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017   #99 (permalink)
ruined
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewJones View Post
On 5th during normal hours is horrible and frightening, but a little perspective for the "ZOMG! This is Acapulco!" crowd.

Acapulco is (or at least was recently) averaging five murders PER DAY. That city only about 3 times bigger than Playa, so scaling down to size would be like if this were happening every day 1 - 2 times.

And if you increased the rate by a factor of 10, it would still be less than "OMG!!!! ACAPULCO!"
It's not there yet but at what point did Acapulco become, at least in terms of portrayal, 'dangerous'? Maybe nothing will change and this was just a blip hopefully but if it continues it could be a slippery slope.
chebyrashka74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017   #100 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
What most people don't realize when they hear things about Acapulco or Nuevo Leon or Culican and other areas of violence is that most of the killings happen in small enclaves in these cities. Much like the Benning Road area of Washington DC back in the day of it being the murder capital of the US. Bodies were stacking up in the drug markets while the rest of the city remained pretty much safe. Same situations in Acapulco and the others.
Yes- this, exactly.

In my own city, there are areas I wouldn't walk around alone in daylight hours, and certainly never at night. I've been to Chicago and never feared for my life there, yet there is a sky high murder rate there, too. And I'd never travel inland in Gro- not even sure I would take a daytime bus to Patzcuaro these days....but everyone's comfort level is different.

I go to Zihua frequently, same state as Guerrero yet nowhere near as many homicides (per capita, of course I mean). There still has been some incidents there, over the years, and this past year has seen a flare-up (heroin use in the US is up, and Gro supplies over half of Mexico's share of poppies along with weed- that, also warring cartels).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.43d40cd66527

But, next year could calm down again.....it is what it is, sadly, but the people in that state in particular are very used to it now, not only since the drug war began, but for much longer than that. Guerrero has always been lawless....and very very poor.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017   #101 (permalink)
life=playa
 
DrewJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by chebyrashka74 View Post
It's not there yet but at what point did Acapulco become, at least in terms of portrayal, 'dangerous'? Maybe nothing will change and this was just a blip hopefully but if it continues it could be a slippery slope.

This guy's blog has some good data visualization. https://blog.diegovalle.net/2011/12/...xico-2010.html


To answer the question "at what point", it's pretty simple actually. When a city moves from a murder rate within international norms (roughly 20 murders per 100K per year or less) to the 50+ rate in a relatively short time. In a city of 200K, that means once you start getting a murder every 3 days consistently.
DrewJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017   #102 (permalink)
playa maya guy

 
ryberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
Or political forces trying to create a sense of insecurity in order to use as a bargaining chip. Just a popular theory being bandied about.
Very popular, and not without merit, especially with a reform-minded administration taking significant legal action against perpetrators of wrongdoing in the previous administration...
ryberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017   #103 (permalink)
aņejo
 
beerbreath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 10,488
Sad,forget about all the new stuff going up and not being like old Playa,these killings are what really could do Playa in.
beerbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017   #104 (permalink)
aņejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbreath View Post
Sad,forget about all the new stuff going up and not being like old Playa,these killings are what really could do Playa in.
Drama queen shrieks.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017   #105 (permalink)
aņejo
 
beerbreath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 10,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
Drama queen shrieks.
You seriously need to grow up.
beerbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.