Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2017   #1 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 55
Tap water smell bad

Hi,

Did anyone ever experience tap water smelling really bad.Unfortunately since a few days my water smells bad. In the kitchen, in the bathroom, basically everywhere in my apartment the water comes out smelling really bad!!!???

Anyone ever had something like this?


Steve
steve71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017   #2 (permalink)
life=playa
 
DrewJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 664
Yes! And have it checked out.


When I had the smell... the plumber showed up, smelled it and said something to the effect of "Something probably crawled into your water tank and died and is rotting". He was serious


He got in there and looked around and it was "only" mold and algae. I had left the place unattended for a month or two and sitting water allowed the growth. He drained the tank and cistern, scrubbed, and then ran something (bleach maybe?) through the pipes, and the water was clean (or as clean as it could be)



Quote:
Originally Posted by steve71 View Post
Hi,

Did anyone ever experience tap water smelling really bad.Unfortunately since a few days my water smells bad. In the kitchen, in the bathroom, basically everywhere in my apartment the water comes out smelling really bad!!!???

Anyone ever had something like this?


Steve
DrewJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017   #3 (permalink)
aņejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve71 View Post
Hi,

Did anyone ever experience tap water smelling really bad.Unfortunately since a few days my water smells bad. In the kitchen, in the bathroom, basically everywhere in my apartment the water comes out smelling really bad!!!???

Anyone ever had something like this?


Steve
Well, have you asked the neighbors in the nearby or other apartments in your complex if their water smells
That would logically seem to me as a place to start.
absoluteAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017   #4 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewJones View Post
Yes! And have it checked out.


When I had the smell... the plumber showed up, smelled it and said something to the effect of "Something probably crawled into your water tank and died and is rotting". He was serious


He got in there and looked around and it was "only" mold and algae. I had left the place unattended for a month or two and sitting water allowed the growth. He drained the tank and cistern, scrubbed, and then ran something (bleach maybe?) through the pipes, and the water was clean (or as clean as it could be)
Hi Drew, Thanks for the info, got the plumber here right now cleaning the water tank. Hope that's the problem, nothing more complicated.
steve71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017   #5 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post
Well, have you asked the neighbors in the nearby or other apartments in your complex if their water smells
That would logically seem to me as a place to start.
Al, in my building all apartments (it's only 3) have seperate water tanks on top of the building. The water which goes in those tanks comes from 1 big tank in the garden (water in the big tank doesn't smell), so it has to be only in my tank on top of the building or some other reason. Plunber here right now, hope he can solve the problem. It's pretty nasty!!!!!
steve71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017   #6 (permalink)
Resident Moderator

 
Susie Q Roo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Q Roo
Posts: 17,620
We usually add a bit of bleach to the tinaco now and then if there seems to be any odor at all to the water.
Susie Q Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017   #7 (permalink)
aņejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,511
As long as it isn't this .....
Water in LA hotel tasted funny for weeks, decomposed body found in roof tower | New York Post
absoluteAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.