Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Off Topic Stuff > General Off-Topic Stuff
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2017   #31 (permalink)
tmc
añejo
 
tmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 3,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMan View Post
Oh citations are required? You have a lot of work to do.
They are, and as you made the claim it is customary you should provide evidence of the same. Oh, wait... you made the claim and you want me to do the work for you? Are you writing your comments on an Obamaphone?
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #32 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc View Post
They are, and as you made the claim it is customary you should provide evidence of the same. Oh, wait... you made the claim and you want me to do the work for you? Are you writing your comments on an Obamaphone?
Book called The American Slave Coast, among other history books, educate yourself.
BeachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #33 (permalink)
añejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
Could mean lots of stuff.

Here we go again with the righties talking crap about socialism.
Here we go again with the righties trying to equate Venezuelan socialism with "I've got the Bern" socialism.
Here we go again with the lefties and righties arguing about whatever.
Here we go again, it is starting to rain.

When your posting style it to post in short bursts of thoughts, you shouldn't get so surprised when someone might misinterpret. If fact, I still don't know what you were on about.
Just ridiculous that bandwidth is wasted on this.
You and TMC can respond to that, too.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #34 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,238
I have been there
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #35 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
Just ridiculous that bandwidth is wasted on this.
You and TMC can respond to that, too.
OK; I will. You are funny. Always above it but right in it.

I am gonna comment on how much of a waste of time this is by demostrating that it so much of a waste of time as to necessitate my commentary. That'll show ém.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #36 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
I have been there
Venezuela?
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #37 (permalink)
tmc
añejo
 
tmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 3,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMan View Post
Book called The American Slave Coast, among other history books, educate yourself.
That's cute; tossing out the title of a 700+ page book and saying "it's in there". I've heard of, but not read, this book. While the digest I've reviewed does not have every page of the book, there are precious few mentions of the words "communism", "socialism" or "Republican" (as in the party formed in the 1850's). None of these words appear in any combination to support your claim that "...165 years ago, it was the Republicans who were called communists or socialists." There was a reference to a speech by a confused old politician from South Carolina (Cheves) who denounced abolitionists as communists and who "conflated communism with democracy, as well as with jacobinism and anarchy", but that was in 1850, years before the founding of the Republican Party. Please point to the specific passage of the historical record supporting your claim, and not the author's characterization of the same.

Which other history books juxtapose the Republican Part of the 1850's with communism and socialism? Right now, all your offered is an oblique reference to a single book written ~170 years after the fact; doesn't seem to support your contention there was any widespread use of the terms "communism(t)" or "socialism(t)" to describe a Republican.
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #38 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc View Post
That's cute; tossing out the title of a 700+ page book and saying "it's in there". I've heard of, but not read, this book. While the digest I've reviewed does not have every page of the book, there are precious few mentions of the words "communism", "socialism" or "Republican" (as in the party formed in the 1850's). None of these words appear in any combination to support your claim that "...165 years ago, it was the Republicans who were called communists or socialists." There was a reference to a speech by a confused old politician from South Carolina (Cheves) who denounced abolitionists as communists and who "conflated communism with democracy, as well as with jacobinism and anarchy", but that was in 1850, years before the founding of the Republican Party. Please point to the specific passage of the historical record supporting your claim, and not the author's characterization of the same.

Which other history books juxtapose the Republican Part of the 1850's with communism and socialism? Right now, all your offered is an oblique reference to a single book written ~170 years after the fact; doesn't seem to support your contention there was any widespread use of the terms "communism(t)" or "socialism(t)" to describe a Republican.
Lol. Dismiss a 700+ page book with a google search and you call me cute.
BeachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #39 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMan View Post
Lol. Dismiss a 700+ page book with a google search and you call me cute.
Actually, he gave you a whole lot more than most would have. He actually looked into it. I would have insisted you use quotes and cite page numbers if you wanted me to read something. You claim it, you cite it. That is how it works.

BTW: Since its inception as the anti-slavery party, the Republicans have been pro-business and pro-capitalism. The only possible person who might want to paint them as communists would have been pro-slavery Democrats just throwing shit at the wall hoping it stuck in order to keep their slaves. Democrats were really bummed to lose their slaves. Your book might make mention of that fact.

Last edited by PlayadelSolDos; 08-11-2017 at 06:09 PM..
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #40 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,238
I sure hope our diplomats with the OAS are talking with their counterparts about an intervention in Venezuela.
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #41 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
Actually, he gave you a whole lot more than most would have. He actually looked into it. I would have insisted you use quotes and cite page numbers if you wanted me to read something. You claim it, you cite it. That is how it works.

BTW: Since its inception as the anti-slavery party, the Republicans have been pro-business and pro-capitalism. The only possible person who might want to paint them as communists would have been pro-slavery Democrats just throwing shit at the wall hoping it stuck in order to keep their slaves. Democrats were really bummed to lose their slaves. Your book might make mention of that fact.
I understand what he did and it was exactly what I said.

I can't cite a library book very well, sorry, I dont buy most of my books.

I never called republicans socialists or communists, nor do I think it is correct to call them that. However, it has been used as an political insult towards them in the past.
BeachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #42 (permalink)
añejo
 
Dan-0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 5,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
I sure hope our diplomats with the OAS are talking with their counterparts about an intervention in Venezuela.
It could move beyond that if the OAS doesn't do something, which is unlikely. According to President Trump says he won't rule out a military option in Venezuela.
Dan-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #43 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-0 View Post
It could move beyond that if the OAS doesn't do something, which is unlikely. According to President Trump says he won't rule out a military option in Venezuela.
There may need to be the presence of non-Venezuela forces in Caracas and around. I do not think they should be US forces.

In the Dominican Republic, in 1965 (I think it was) there were Brazilian forces there. Maybe not ideal, but........
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #44 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-0 View Post
It could move beyond that if the OAS doesn't do something, which is unlikely. According to President Trump says he won't rule out a military option in Venezuela.
President Trump had better rule out a military option there. We have no national security issues with Venezuela. The people voted that government in and only turned on it when the free stuff ran out. Let them fix it themselves. Not our business and Trump even suggesting that it is (if he did, which I have not seen) is ridiculous.

If anyone goes in, they are going to go in on the side of the opposition. Now, this opposition was all cool with socialism under Chavez and when oil was expensive. There is no opposition group worthy of outside help because there are very few who opposed the ideals of Chavez in the first place. Peacekeepers are no good because someone would have to arm the oppostion in order to give something for the peacekeepers to do. We gonna support old school socialists over neo-socialists? For what?

Last edited by PlayadelSolDos; 08-11-2017 at 06:50 PM..
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #45 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMan View Post
I understand what he did and it was exactly what I said.

I can't cite a library book very well, sorry, I dont buy most of my books.

I never called republicans socialists or communists, nor do I think it is correct to call them that. However, it has been used as an political insult towards them in the past.
OK, so you expected TMC to run out and borrow (or buy) a book and read all of it on the off-chance that he might find a quote that you say is there but cannot be specific about although you, yourself, read the book? Now, you see how silly you sound?
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.