Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Off Topic Stuff > General Off-Topic Stuff
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2017   #46 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
OK, so you expected TMC to run out and borrow (or buy) a book and read all of it on the off-chance that he might find a quote that you say is there but cannot be specific about although you, yourself, read the book? Now, you see how silly you sound?
I'm not silly at all. I'm not writing a college paper here, I'm discussing on an internet message board. I have seen almost no one citing page numbers of books on here. Is that because it is silly to read books or silly to expect people to read books?
BeachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #47 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMan View Post
I'm not silly at all. I'm not writing a college paper here, I'm discussing on an internet message board. I have seen almost no one citing page numbers of books on here. Is that because it is silly to read books or silly to expect people to read books?
I read all the time. If I want to claim something is in a book, I either quote it or paraphrase it. If I do the latter and someone asks me to provide the source or exact quote, I will do my best to find it. I don't insist they do it. The onus is on you to back up your claims. It is not our job to prove it for you, especially given such a strange claim as yours.

And what really makes it even sillier, is that you have the absolute gall to type "educate" yourself to a man who probably has more knowledge in his fingernails than you have in your entire family history.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #48 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
I read all the time. If I want to claim something is in a book, I either quote it or paraphrase it. If I do the latter and someone asks me to provide the source or exact quote, I will do my best to find it. I don't insist they do it. The onus is on you to back up your claims. It is not our job to prove it for you, especially given such a strange claim as yours.

And what really makes it even sillier, is that you have the absolute gall to type "educate" yourself to a man who probably has more knowledge in his fingernails than you have in your entire family history.
Are you his boyfriend?
BeachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #49 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMan View Post
Are you his boyfriend?
Ah, so gay jokes. Nice. That'll win you some friends.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #50 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
Ah, so gay jokes. Nice. That'll win you some friends.
Not worried about that, just wondering why you feel the need to be his cheerleader(effeminate jokes fine, or are those not pc enough for you?)
BeachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #51 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,232
I admire intelligent people who are passionate in their beliefs. Have a few people on the left, here, whom I admire too. We exchange words but when we insult each other, we do so with some sense of humor and leave the bigotry where it belongs, i.e., with the ignorant.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #52 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
I admire intelligent people who are passionate in their beliefs. Have a few people on the left, here, whom I admire too. We exchange words but when we insult each other, we do so with some sense of humor and leave the bigotry where it belongs, i.e., with the ignorant.
I met PDS2 some years ago. I think he is a good father, a good husband, a good administrative staffer and overall a responsible human being.

Not boyfriend material though, in my view.
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #53 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
I admire intelligent people who are passionate in their beliefs. Have a few people on the left, here, whom I admire too. We exchange words but when we insult each other, we do so with some sense of humor and leave the bigotry where it belongs, i.e., with the ignorant.
So me mentioning something I read in a book, then eventually saying what book I read it in, only to say I couldn't cite it because I don't own it is silly? Do you understand how ignorant that is? Do you request your friends, siblings, spouse or children to cite with page numbers every fact they tell you? It is a ridiculous assumption to have of the vast majority of people.
BeachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #54 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
I met PDS2 some years ago. I think he is a good father, a good husband, a good administrative staffer and overall a responsible human being.

Not boyfriend material though, in my view.
Yeah, you wouldn't read Thomas Sowell or Freidrich Hayek to me while I took hot baths, anyway. Not that my wife does, but sometimes she will yell something to me when I am in the shower.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #55 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMan View Post
So me mentioning something I read in a book, then eventually saying what book I read it in, only to say I couldn't cite it because I don't own it is silly? Do you understand how ignorant that is? Do you request your friends, siblings, spouse or children to cite with page numbers every fact they tell you? It is a ridiculous assumption to have of the vast majority of people.
No but, then again, my friends, siblings, spouse or children never claimed that Republcans used to be called "communists" by some hidden band of name-callers.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #56 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
No but, then again, my friends, siblings, spouse or children never claimed that Republcans used to be called "communists" by some hidden band of name-callers.
There are commies everywhere, and I do mean everywhere
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #57 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
No but, then again, my friends, siblings, spouse or children never claimed that Republcans used to be called "communists" by some hidden band of name-callers.
Obama isn't first U.S. leader to be wrongly called a socialist - Portland Press Herald

Horace Greeley, who was a Republican in the 1850s and 60s. This isn't that hard of a concept to understand.
BeachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #58 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMan View Post
Obama isn't first U.S. leader to be wrongly called a socialist - Portland Press Herald

Horace Greeley, who was a Republican in the 1850s and 60s. This isn't that hard of a concept to understand.

Quote:
What is old is new again. ~100-165 years ago, it was the Republicans who were called communists or socialists.
So Horace Greely, who according to the article was labeled a "socialist" by "some pro-slavery adversaries..." equals the above statement? Thanks for giving it a shot, but that is not even close to what you claimed. Not wasting anymore time on this one.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #59 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
So Horace Greely, who according to the article was labeled a "socialist" by "some pro-slavery adversaries..." equals the above statement? Thanks for giving it a shot, but that is not even close to what you claimed. Not wasting anymore time on this one.
Yes, he was a Republican, who was called a socialist in that time frame as a political insult. If you want more than that article, then I again suggest, educate yourself.
BeachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017   #60 (permalink)
añejo
 
Dan-0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 5,137
Obama is worse than a socialist, although the record is clear that he strongly believes in socialist principles. At least with a socialist, like Comrade Bernie, you know what you are getting. But, like a lot of Democrats, Obama has mixed his philosophy of high taxes and socialist policies with something worse: corrupt crony capitalism, whereby he builds political power by making political cronies and making or giving them money. I think I would prefer a socialist over someone like BHO.
Dan-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.