Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Off Topic Stuff > General Off-Topic Stuff
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2017   #46 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
There are a good representation of far right people here, including the fellow who started this thread
Just shows you are clueless Roni... But most already knew that
steve balt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #47 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Mogley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 11,617
I like to show up fashionably late, at about the middle of the party, and I always leave before the end of the party.
Mogley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #48 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
I'm not sure Steve considers himself "far right".
Seems whenever the word sheep is mentioned Roni always turns up
steve balt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #49 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
You couldn't care less. Not could care less.
That was the point James was making.
Sounded fine to me, glad we have an english major here to correct everyone's grammar.
steve balt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #50 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogley View Post
I like to show up fashionably late, at about the middle of the party, and I always leave before the end of the party.
I usually get there on time and one of the last to leave
steve balt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #51 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
is this the new "Stogey's Thoughts' thread?

The middle!

Where the 'middle' is, is going to depend on your definition of 'far right' and 'far left'. The middle is different for everyone.

As an example, our 'middle' party is the one in power in Canada- yet their name is the Liberal Party and many Americans would define it as a liberal party not only in name- but they are in fact our most centrist party up here.
Its my Middle and my definition. I never said its for everyone.

What are you considered in Canada ? How do you feel about the refugees crossing into your border illegally and being allowed to stay without being properly vetted ?

Whats going to happen when your olympic stadium is full of them ?
steve balt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #52 (permalink)
beach geek
admin
 
james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: 10 year Playa resident lost in Sweden
Posts: 12,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve balt View Post
Sounded fine to me, glad we have an english major here to correct everyone's grammar.
I studied mechanical engineering. Your grammar was fine. Check it again. It's the logic that's flawed.
__________________
Get your own signature countdown image!

james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #53 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve balt View Post
Its my Middle and my definition. I never said its for everyone.

What are you considered in Canada ? How do you feel about the refugees crossing into your border illegally and being allowed to stay without being properly vetted ?

Whats going to happen when your olympic stadium is full of them ?

I'd be considered more on the liberal end than the conservative end up here.


I'm very fiscally responsible and expect the gov't to run a tight ship and balance the budget and make cuts fairly and responsibly when necessary- and not spend like a drunken sailor when times are good. My taxes are high to be sure- I pay almost 4 grand a month alone! - and I expect to get my money's worth. Usually I am fairly happy with that end of things, and I get annoyed when idiots complain about our high taxes - usually they have no idea of the complexities (like is often the case about whiners). But of course they sometimes screw up and I think they should get called out for it. If Trump was my President with the constant outright lies and spewing hate, I'd be a stressed out mess right now, to be honest.

I am pro-immigration as I have personally not seen any negative effects where I live as a result of our recent influx of immigrants (last decade has been very high). Canadian rules for regular immigrants are very high in terms of education and money they need to have, etc. I am in favour of that-. And we also let in 50,000 under refugee status last year and I also approve of that (so long as there are good support programs).

But I AM concerned about illegal immigration or people not being vetted carefully enough or having terrorist links, etc. But I tend to think most people, no matter colour or creed, are good people, so I don't fret about it unnecessarily- I try very hard to not have racist thoughts, although at times I am guilty of them- and I recognize they are rooted in fear and ignorance and NOT experience, at all.

I am pro-choice, feminist (as all women should be, if they have a brain ), I don't give a shit if you are gay or transgender or have 20 piercings or a hundred tattoos (have three myself)- so long as you are kind and tolerant and not overly annoying and pay your taxes and are generally an upstanding citizen. Loud, crass, obnoxious people piss me off, I don't care what or who you are- and the majority of the time these are white male right wingers blathering on who tend to piss me off, to be honest- whether it be online or at work or at a concert or bar or whatever.
__________________
until a week on Isla Mujeres!

until 2 weeks in Huatulco and Puerto Escondido!

Last edited by Rissask; 08-17-2017 at 01:17 PM..
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #54 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
I studied mechanical engineering. Your grammar was fine. Check it again. It's the logic that's flawed.
Well, I'm an English major - and I noticed it too.

It's "I could NOT care less." Steve.

Unless you want to say that you could care less, on other words- you care some.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #55 (permalink)
aņejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve balt View Post
Sounded fine to me, glad we have an english major here to correct everyone's grammar.
English is a language so if you really respect it, you would capitalize the "E".

If you could care less, then you naturally could care less. It is what you said. People are just taking you at your word.
PlayadelSolDos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #56 (permalink)
aņejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,236
BTW; I don't know anyone who would consider themselves to be in the "middle" to treat the word "refugee" with any kind of contempt or negativeness. It is not like they asked to be displaced by war or famine or corrupt governments or drug cartels or gangs or whatever. I am pretty sure that 99% of them would prefer to not have that label attached to their name. The only people I know who treat refugees as the enemy are bigots and you have those on the left and the right. Not so much in the middle.
PlayadelSolDos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #57 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
BTW; I don't know anyone who would consider themselves to be in the "middle" to treat the word "refugee" with any kind of contempt or negativeness. It is not like they asked to be displaced by war or famine or corrupt governments or drug cartels or gangs or whatever. I am pretty sure that 99% of them would prefer to not have that label attached to their name. The only people I know who treat refugees as the enemy are bigots and you have those on the left and the right. Not so much in the middle.

I agree with the bolded line.

I have read PLENTY of bigoted, racist statements though, on news articles and Facebook, by people bemoaning how many people we let in to Canada under both refugee and regular immigrant status.

I'm 100% sure that the VAST majority of those people would be considered right wing here in Canada. The left, by definition, supports and is in favour of immigration and refugees.

Or did you mean that last line as more of a general statement? I certainly know more right wing people around here who are bigots in general too, than left wing people are.....
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #58 (permalink)
aņejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
I agree with the bolded line.

I have read PLENTY of bigoted, racist statements though, on news articles and Facebook, by people bemoaning how many people we let in to Canada under both refugee and regular immigrant status.

I'm 100% sure that the VAST majority of those people would be considered right wing here in Canada. The left, by definition, supports and is in favour of immigration and refugees.

Or did you mean that last line as more of a general statement? I certainly know more right wing people around here who are bigots in general too, than left wing people are.....
No, I meant what I said. Many on the left have more accepted bigotry (e.g., being bigoted against Southerners or uneducated, working class white males). Bigotry is bigotry. We all suffer from it. Some are aware and some act like they aren't and like to project. I find more of the latter on the left but that is one of my prejudices.
PlayadelSolDos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #59 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
English is a language so if you really respect it, you would capitalize the "E".

If you could care less, then you naturally could care less. It is what you said. People are just taking you at your word.
I can tell you , there will be plenty of grammar spelling etc mistakes .
steve balt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017   #60 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
No, I meant what I said. Many on the left have more accepted bigotry (e.g., being bigoted against Southerners or uneducated, working class white males). Bigotry is bigotry. We all suffer from it. Some are aware and some act like they aren't and like to project. I find more of the latter on the left but that is one of my prejudices.
man...if I or other people where I live were to be 'bigoted toward white uneducated working class males' that would be tough, as they make up 40% of the population. Who would we date or hang out with?

Sometimes bigotry can be factually based...more like being pretentious or maybe 'condescending' maybe, than being a 'bigot'.

For example, I think I am smarter and more rational that a person who believes in a Young Earth and that the dinosaurs were a hoax or that the moon landing was a hoax. I believe I am smarter and more rational and a better critical thinker than they are because I AM.

Is that being a bigot or just being honest about the facts? If it makes anyone feel better, I don't care if the person who believes that is black, brown, white or blue, gay or straight, male or female, Pakistani or Australian or from Alamaba- they are all equally idiotic in thinking that.

IOW, let's judge according to our actions and (to a lesser degree) our beliefs and not race, creed or religion.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.