Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2017   #16 (permalink)
añejo
 
canadiense loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Red Deer,Alberta,Canada
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob mackay View Post
we will all have an awesome winter old friend,,glad the wife didnt kill you on those water skis
Yes we will Rubio. And the wife is a great boat driver
canadiense loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #17 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
Active shooter situation currently in the tourist area of Charleston, South Carolina.
Why post this ?
steve balt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #18 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 1,575
The problem is the cartels are fighting for territories.

And the recent arrest in Cancun of a cartel plaza boss has left the area open for rival cartels.

Hopefully the police get this calmed down,but so much corruption and money in the drug market.

The government will eventually bring in the military if needed . They don't want this to turn into the next Acapulco.
steve balt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #19 (permalink)
añejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve balt View Post
The problem is the cartels are fighting for territories.

And the recent arrest in Cancun of a cartel plaza boss has left the area open for rival cartels.

Hopefully the police get this calmed down,but so much corruption and money in the drug market.

The government will eventually bring in the military if needed . They don't want this to turn into the next Acapulco.
The military is already here.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #20 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
The military is already here.
Exactly, has been off an on for decades.

There are photos of vacationers in bikinis and military guys on the beach from years ago.
roni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #21 (permalink)
añejo
 
Mnbruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Louis Park,Mn.
Posts: 11,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
Exactly, has been off an on for decades.

There are photos of vacationers in bikinis and military guys on the beach from years ago.

I just happen to have one.
Mnbruce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #22 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbiec View Post
These numbers are meaningless, really.

What's meaningFUL is: Are the shootings in Cincinnati happening where you and your family might be walking/shopping, normally? If they are, you're certainly going to avoid those areas, no?

A clothing store on 5th and 20th is certainly a place I or my family members might be after dinner in Playa. No, the tourists aren't the targets of this drug war for control of 5th, but do people want to be in the middle of it on vacation?? Would YOU? There's no way to know who/where the targets are, right? We aren't privy to the Cartels' movements...but we do know these things are happening in the HEART of the tourist area.

What it means is that there are many, many other places to vacation, and people may very well choose to go elsewhere. To think otherwise, or to use raw statistics to say that it's not likely to be YOU who will be shot (which is true) - just doesn't do it for everyone.
By all means, if you feel like you might get shot on la Quinta by drug cartel members, you should go somewhere else. Whether or not that fear is rational, you are not likely to have a good time if you are constantly looking over your shoulder or wondering if that could be a drug cartel member.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #23 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
By all means, if you feel like you might get shot on la Quinta by drug cartel members, you should go somewhere else. Whether or not that fear is rational, you are not likely to have a good time if you are constantly looking over your shoulder or wondering if that could be a drug cartel member.
I use that she feels safer in New Jersey .
I was in Newark, NJ a few years ago and I did not feel safe at all and would not leave my hotel at night (I was told at the hotel that it was best not to go out after dark).
But she does say that she lives in the boonies. Probably safe there.
By the way, I still walk AV.5 3 or 4 times a day and walked by the "scene of the crime" about 1/2 hour before it happened.
Just made reservations to travel to the Washington, D.C. area for about 10 days in mid October. Now, THAT CAN BE SCARY.
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #24 (permalink)
añejo
 
Mnbruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Louis Park,Mn.
Posts: 11,592
I tell those that ask me to chose somewhere else if they have any concerns at all about Mexico. I don't know what will happen in the area before winter season, and who wants to plan a vacation to a place they have concerns about.
Mnbruce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #25 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnbruce View Post
I tell those that ask me to chose somewhere else if they have any concerns at all about Mexico. I don't know what will happen in the area before winter season, and who wants to plan a vacation to a place they have concerns about.
I would tell them the same. Doesn't make their concerns valid or rational, but who wants to vacation in fear? My 80-year old parents will be coming down later this year, as usual, and staying downtown. I would advise them differently if I felt there was any danger but, like me and the rest of my family, they neither do or sell drugs.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #26 (permalink)
Travel Insurance Tester

 
Shammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Joisey Shore
Posts: 18,673
Locally, last Sunday morning, some guy went balls to the wall - beat up his wife and mother in law and terrorized her sister and the sister's kids. Went outside with a gun and shot at police, who shot back and killed him. This happened at a home that was immediately next door to a diner serving breakfast to hundreds of people. Not even a 5 minute drive from me. Another guy walked into a Bed Bath and Beyond store in a mall next to where my husband works, and stabbed a woman who had her infant in a car seat on top of the carriage. For zero reason. I'm on the Jersey Shore, typically a rather safe place to be, one would think anyway. Then you have Asbury Park, which is full of gangs and drug war shootings yet is one of the most popular areas to go, and people are paying millions of dollars to live there because it's become the new "hot spot". I go there rather often, whenever the princess wants to go to Yappy Hour at the Wonder Bar. .

I understand that it doesn't really matter exactly how this relates to what's going on in Playa. I mean, no one can argue that it's beyond unfortunate that this is happening right now. My point is that I won't stop going to that diner, nor to that Bed Bath and Beyond store just because crazy shit happened there. We all have to continue to live our lives, some of us can't and/or won't be fueled by fear or live life by looking over our shoulders every time we walk out the front door. Bad things happen everywhere, often without notice and without targets. For me, I believe when my time is up, it's up no matter where I am. I don't let fear control me, I assess the situation and level of danger and proceed from there. But others are more cautious. It's not on me to change their way of thinking, if you don't feel comfortable going somewhere, by all means, don't go. There are plenty of wonderful places to travel in this world. But just be sure you understand that your safety isn't guaranteed, anywhere.
Shammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #27 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammy View Post
Locally, last Sunday morning, some guy went balls to the wall - beat up his wife and mother in law and terrorized her sister and the sister's kids. Went outside with a gun and shot at police, who shot back and killed him. This happened at a home that was immediately next door to a diner serving breakfast to hundreds of people. Not even a 5 minute drive from me. Another guy walked into a Bed Bath and Beyond store in a mall next to where my husband works, and stabbed a woman who had her infant in a car seat on top of the carriage. For zero reason. I'm on the Jersey Shore, typically a rather safe place to be, one would think anyway. Then you have Asbury Park, which is full of gangs and drug war shootings yet is one of the most popular areas to go, and people are paying millions of dollars to live there because it's become the new "hot spot". I go there rather often, whenever the princess wants to go to Yappy Hour at the Wonder Bar. .

I understand that it doesn't really matter exactly how this relates to what's going on in Playa. I mean, no one can argue that it's beyond unfortunate that this is happening right now. My point is that I won't stop going to that diner, nor to that Bed Bath and Beyond store just because crazy shit happened there. We all have to continue to live our lives, some of us can't and/or won't be fueled by fear or live life by looking over our shoulders every time we walk out the front door. Bad things happen everywhere, often without notice and without targets. For me, I believe when my time is up, it's up no matter where I am. I don't let fear control me, I assess the situation and level of danger and proceed from there. But others are more cautious. It's not on me to change their way of thinking, if you don't feel comfortable going somewhere, by all means, don't go. There are plenty of wonderful places to travel in this world. But just be sure you understand that your safety isn't guaranteed, anywhere.


And with that, I am heading out for my walk on AV. 5
And I will be cautious of the girls offering a massage with a "happy ending"
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #28 (permalink)
añejo
 
canadiense loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Red Deer,Alberta,Canada
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammy View Post
Locally, last Sunday morning, some guy went balls to the wall - beat up his wife and mother in law and terrorized her sister and the sister's kids. Went outside with a gun and shot at police, who shot back and killed him. This happened at a home that was immediately next door to a diner serving breakfast to hundreds of people. Not even a 5 minute drive from me. Another guy walked into a Bed Bath and Beyond store in a mall next to where my husband works, and stabbed a woman who had her infant in a car seat on top of the carriage. For zero reason. I'm on the Jersey Shore, typically a rather safe place to be, one would think anyway. Then you have Asbury Park, which is full of gangs and drug war shootings yet is one of the most popular areas to go, and people are paying millions of dollars to live there because it's become the new "hot spot". I go there rather often, whenever the princess wants to go to Yappy Hour at the Wonder Bar. .

I understand that it doesn't really matter exactly how this relates to what's going on in Playa. I mean, no one can argue that it's beyond unfortunate that this is happening right now. My point is that I won't stop going to that diner, nor to that Bed Bath and Beyond store just because crazy shit happened there. We all have to continue to live our lives, some of us can't and/or won't be fueled by fear or live life by looking over our shoulders every time we walk out the front door. Bad things happen everywhere, often without notice and without targets. For me, I believe when my time is up, it's up no matter where I am. I don't let fear control me, I assess the situation and level of danger and proceed from there. But others are more cautious. It's not on me to change their way of thinking, if you don't feel comfortable going somewhere, by all means, don't go. There are plenty of wonderful places to travel in this world. But just be sure you understand that your safety isn't guaranteed, anywhere.
+1 Well put. That is the similar perspective I am trying to put things in.
Thanks for that.

Last edited by canadiense loco; 08-24-2017 at 07:44 PM..
canadiense loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #29 (permalink)
añejo
 
canadiense loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Red Deer,Alberta,Canada
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteAL View Post


And with that, I am heading out for my walk on AV. 5
And I will be cautious of the girls offering a massage with a "happy ending"
That cracked me up.
canadiense loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #30 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnbruce View Post
I tell those that ask me to chose somewhere else if they have any concerns at all about Mexico. I don't know what will happen in the area before winter season, and who wants to plan a vacation to a place they have concerns about.
You've gone to PV a couple times in recent years-right? Because this happened last summer there...right in the tourist area, at a popular restaurant:

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3721814

Not trying to say Puerto Vallarta is safer or less safe than this area -I would say all tourist areas in Mexico today struggle with the same issues, that ebb and wane depending on turf disputes. But the common thread is that tourists have not been targeted.

There have been similar random incidents as Shams described here in my city more recently too-that to me is way scarier as you never know when some crazed meth head is going to try to stab you.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.