Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #91 (permalink)
way into it
 
AZGonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
People are much more worried about the weather.
And the Sargassum!!!
AZGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #92 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
crmoores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Finger Lakes & Playa!
Posts: 362
Ya gotta admit, whether you are an owner with a rental or a renter on vacation it was nice not seeing this thread updated with yet another shooting.

Dangerous weather can be forecast, and sargassum and rain we grin and deal with...

Last edited by crmoores; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:35 AM..
crmoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #93 (permalink)
way into it
 
AZGonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 200
When my wife and I were Beachfront Bargain Hunting we were all over the Caribbean. Lots of great islands and places but having a nice beach isn't enough or we would get bored. Playa offers that plus great food, bars, shopping, health care etc...

Since that only comes with a larger city, you have to also take the crime that comes with it.

We were intrigued by Roatan and the same day we were house hunting our agent told us that a security guard was shot and killed at the community across from our hotel the night before. It happens everywhere...no place is immune. Look at Cabo. Look at Turks. My gosh (before Maria and Irma) I never was as comfortable on the streets of St Thomas as I (still) am on 5th.

And in Punta Cana, you simply can't leave the resorts. We felt like we spent a week in a very, very nice prison...
AZGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #94 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGonzo View Post
When my wife and I were Beachfront Bargain Hunting we were all over the Caribbean. Lots of great islands and places but having a nice beach isn't enough or we would get bored. Playa offers that plus great food, bars, shopping, health care etc...

Since that only comes with a larger city, you have to also take the crime that comes with it.

We were intrigued by Roatan and the same day we were house hunting our agent told us that a security guard was shot and killed at the community across from our hotel the night before. It happens everywhere...no place is immune. Look at Cabo. Look at Turks. My gosh (before Maria and Irma) I never was as comfortable on the streets of St Thomas as I (still) am on 5th.

And in Punta Cana, you simply can't leave the resorts. We felt like we spent a week in a very, very nice prison...
We always leave the resorts in Punta Cana /?
steve balt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #95 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
crmoores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Finger Lakes & Playa!
Posts: 362
We have been visiting different areas of the Carib and Mexico (and other areas) for 16 years, and my wife and I share some favorite destinations throughout the Carib. The RM and Puerto Vallarta have always been in the back of our minds as we started researching retirement home destinations, we both love the RM for the natural beauty, culture and history, and the people. I prefer being in the islands (BVI) as I like being away from the busier vibe and enjoy boating. But my wife prefers to have a bit more to do than that (can't blame her!), and the healthcare system and shopping options further enticed us to build our dream home here. We're just outside Playa so we are able to experience that when we want.

These threads have been going since the shootings first started in January and it's just something we're forced to live with, that simple.
crmoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #96 (permalink)
lost on fifth
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Breckenridge CO
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGonzo View Post
It happens everywhere...no place is immune.
It doesn't happen here in Breckenridge! I've lived here 30 years and can hardly remember a homicide, or any serious crime. We don't even lock our doors most of the time. We have hundreds of thousands of tourists visit every year, too, from all over the world.

Trust me, no crime is better than even the most miniscule amount of crime.

It's getting harder and harder for me to justify returning to the RM as things get progressively worse, and I love PDC as much as I love Breck. I would hate for my wife to see, or be involved in, any violence. We just don't need that, regardless of the beauty of the place. It's depressing and saddening to think we won't be back.
Contador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #97 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 74,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contador View Post
It doesn't happen here in Breckenridge! I've lived here 30 years and can hardly remember a homicide, or any serious crime. We don't even lock our doors most of the time. We have hundreds of thousands of tourists visit every year, too, from all over the world.

Trust me, no crime is better than even the most miniscule amount of crime.

It's getting harder and harder for me to justify returning to the RM as things get progressively worse, and I love PDC as much as I love Breck. I would hate for my wife to see, or be involved in, any violence. We just don't need that, regardless of the beauty of the place. It's depressing and saddening to think we won't be back.
We live in the Yucatan peninsula and drive over to the Caribe on a regular basis. We were on Isla Mujeres this month (have to drive through Cancun). We will be in Playa in November and on Isla Holbox in December - a couple of weeks altogether. I am not worried about crime there. I am worried less about it where we live. We moved here due to the lack of cultural events in Playa - here we have the symphony and multiple song, dance and cultural events every week.

Being a 3-4 hour drive from Cancun / Playa / Tulum, etc. I think we have the best of both worlds. CO would not work as I do not like cold weather and snow
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #98 (permalink)
lost on fifth
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Breckenridge CO
Posts: 23
My "problem" is that I love both: snow and the beach. I could easily live 6 months in the mountains and six at the beach. I know what you mean about a lack of culture. Being only 75 minutes from Denver we can drop in and get our city fix of restaurants, culture and shopping and come back the next day.

I'd love to find someone from the beach to trade homes with for a month or two a year. It's beautiful here in the summer as well.
Contador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #99 (permalink)
into ruins
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 61
In a perfect world (my world is very close to perfect) -
Breckenridge = (condo) to be able to ski when the crowds are not around
Denver = (house on golf course) for golf & culture + Breck is only 90 minutes away
Costa Maya = (beach front - but no house on it) beach - seafood - and groceries from the food trucks
Now that is saying "Life is Good".
breckenridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #100 (permalink)
lost on fifth
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Breckenridge CO
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by breckenridge View Post
In a perfect world (my world is very close to perfect) -
Breckenridge = (condo) to be able to ski when the crowds are not around
Denver = (house on golf course) for golf & culture + Breck is only 90 minutes away
Costa Maya = (beach front - but no house on it) beach - seafood - and groceries from the food trucks
Now that is saying "Life is Good".
Go for it! We used to have a condo in Cherry Creek, it was nice to go there on the weekends when the Turi came here, but Denver is a little too crowded now for us. I'll have to check out Costa Maya.
Contador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #101 (permalink)
into ruins
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 61
Hate to say it but I don't have to go for it - as we already have it.
The joys of retirement. Been retired for 18 years and loving it.
breckenridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #102 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbreath View Post
The thing is, people want to go on vacation to relax and have fun.They don't want to be scared everytime they hear a loud noise and think it could be a gunshot.
You must have never lived in the country. Gunshots are the norm around here.
BeachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #103 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 74,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMan View Post
You must have never lived in the country. Gunshots are the norm around here.
Around where?

We get a lot of fireworks around holidays....
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #104 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
crmoores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Finger Lakes & Playa!
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMan View Post
You must have never lived in the country. Gunshots are the norm around here.
LOL...Back to square one...
crmoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #105 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
Around where?

We get a lot of fireworks around holidays....
Midwestern US.
BeachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.