Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Off Topic Stuff > General Off-Topic Stuff
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2017   #16 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,186
At last report there have been numerous sightings of 6' tall rabbits in the vicinity of the hurricane.

First one to get it wins a cookie.
LilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017   #17 (permalink)
añejo
 
jeffandbecky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Driftwood
Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAPPY View Post
Yi yi Rockport really got hammered - hope all the Texas peeps are ok.
But with minimal loss of life.

Been raining steady through Saturday and that isn't expected to change till at least Tuesday. Winds have been steady in the 30mph range all day, gusts up to 50.

Harvey isn't done with Texas yet. Right now the areas to watch are the towns along and east of IH35 on the Colorado, Guadalupe and San Antonio Rivers. This looks like a slow motion disaster.

We are doing alright. 4" of rain so far, lost a couple trees but none over 12" in diameter, roads are still open and the power is still on. Talk to me Tuesday or Wednesday and I can tell you how things turned out.

LilG, the rabbits have always been there. You just couldn't see them in the tall grass. Honestly I have mistaken jackrabbits for small deer and vice versa.

Last edited by jeffandbecky; 08-26-2017 at 10:33 PM..
jeffandbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017   #18 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffandbecky View Post
But with minimal loss of life.

Been raining steady through Saturday and that isn't expected to change till at least Tuesday. Winds have been steady in the 30mph range all day, gusts up to 50.

Harvey isn't done with Texas yet. Right now the areas to watch are the towns along and east of IH35 on the Colorado, Guadalupe and San Antonio Rivers. This looks like a slow motion disaster.

We are doing alright. 4" of rain so far, lost a couple trees but none over 12" in diameter, roads are still open and the power is still on. Talk to me Tuesday or Wednesday and I can tell you how things turned out.

LilG, the rabbits have always been there. You just couldn't see them in the tall grass. Honestly I have mistaken jackrabbits for small deer and vice versa.

Been through one hurricane in NOLA a long time ago. Glad you guys are okay.
Here's the Harvey I was talking about. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKECvqSVWPA
LilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017   #19 (permalink)
añejo
 
CalifGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffandbecky View Post
We really don't have a choice. Our part of Texas is flash flood country and by the time things get really sporting, it's too late to move. Just too many low water crossings between us and safe lodging.

We got tagged pretty hard in Oct '15. The USGS guaging station is about a half mile down stream.

http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/...ate=2015-11-14

This is a graph of how fun turns to tragedy in a couple of hours.

My family has been out here since the '30's and know exactly what can happen, how quickly and that there isn't a damn thing I can do about it. (other than get ready)

Besides that, our ranch was part of Col. Travis' Spanish land grant and running away isn't an option.
Well, we are all hoping it doesn't get any worse for you and your family, actually for everyone down there in harms way, keep safe and keep us informed.
CalifGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017   #20 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffandbecky View Post
But with minimal loss of life.

Been raining steady through Saturday and that isn't expected to change till at least Tuesday. Winds have been steady in the 30mph range all day, gusts up to 50.

Harvey isn't done with Texas yet. Right now the areas to watch are the towns along and east of IH35 on the Colorado, Guadalupe and San Antonio Rivers. This looks like a slow motion disaster.

We are doing alright. 4" of rain so far, lost a couple trees but none over 12" in diameter, roads are still open and the power is still on. Talk to me Tuesday or Wednesday and I can tell you how things turned out.

LilG, the rabbits have always been there. You just couldn't see them in the tall grass. Honestly I have mistaken jackrabbits for small deer and vice versa.

Thoughts and prayers for all of you Texans. If anyone can handle this big a storm in an organized way and neighbor helping neighbor, it is Texans. Stay safe.
PlayadelSolDos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017   #21 (permalink)
añejo
 
jeffandbecky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Driftwood
Posts: 2,455
Our little chuck of Texas is fine. Thursday, the estimates were from 5 to 24" inches of rain in Hays County. We got 7" so far, no flooding and only a half day of chainsaw work to clear the wind damage.

Those to the east and southeast, Harvey isn't done with them yet.

There was a report on Fulton, Rockport area, that every structure has been damaged. There will be a lot of smaller communities similarly affected. You are not likely to hear about any of them.
jeffandbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017   #22 (permalink)
añejo
 
TAPPY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 21,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffandbecky View Post
Our little chuck of Texas is fine. Thursday, the estimates were from 5 to 24" inches of rain in Hays County. We got 7" so far, no flooding and only a half day of chainsaw work to clear the wind damage.

Those to the east and southeast, Harvey isn't done with them yet.

There was a report on Fulton, Rockport area, that every structure has been damaged. There will be a lot of smaller communities similarly affected. You are not likely to hear about any of them.
So glad to hear you are ok - the pictures coming out of Texas are heart breaking....it is going to take years of recovery.
TAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017   #23 (permalink)
very sparkly
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Greenville, Texas
Posts: 39
Send a message via AIM to Lee & Kay Send a message via Yahoo to Lee & Kay
rain

Its headed for Louisana now,watch out !
Lee & Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017   #24 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,227
Donald Trump's administration has not yet decided whether it will accept assistance from Mexico to help the victims of a hurricane in Texas.

Quote:
The Mexican government expressed its "full solidarity" with the people and government of the US and said it had "offered to provide help and cooperation" in the wake of Hurricane Harvey.

Mexico previously provided help in 2005 after Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast, with soldiers from the Mexican army serving meals, distributing supplies and conducting medical consultations.
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017   #25 (permalink)
añejo
 
TAPPY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 21,998
Some one should tell Mrs. Trump not to wear stilettos in a flood zone. She looks classy - but she is gonna bust her azzzzz -


edit: I do think it is funny that the media zoomed in on this instead of all the other news about the flooding.

Last edited by TAPPY; 08-30-2017 at 08:32 AM..
TAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017   #26 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,326
Stay dry Tammy!!

The photos of the flooded areas....ugh!

I overheard people talking about the photos that went around on social media of an airport showing planes submerged up to their tail fin.....uhhh, people, of course it's fake...why don't people use their brains??


https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.97acdeba60df
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017   #27 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,186
https://www.facebook.com/veronika.pr...4877348327584/


Doesn't appear to be something you can click on, but you can cut and paste.
A line of trailered boats heading to Houston to help out.
LilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017   #28 (permalink)
añejo
 
CalifGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilG View Post
https://www.facebook.com/veronika.pr...4877348327584/


Doesn't appear to be something you can click on, but you can cut and paste.
A line of trailered boats heading to Houston to help out.
Very cool, I saw and old deuce and a half in line too, that's the right tool for the job..
CalifGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017   #29 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifGuy View Post
Very cool, I saw and old deuce and a half in line too, that's the right tool for the job..
Heard them referred to this morning on the news as The Cajun Navy.
LilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017   #30 (permalink)
añejo
 
TAPPY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 21,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilG View Post
Heard them referred to this morning on the news as The Cajun Navy.
lots of love for our Texas neighbors !!!!


The pictures are truly heartbreaking - so many friends, family and co-workers have been touched by this.
TAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.