Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2017   #46 (permalink)
Me2
beachaholic
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
Mexican police can also be very helpful and nice. I think it is a big mistake to generalize about them in the way that you did.
I believe the corrupt cop thing is way overblown.
Me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017   #47 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Mr Cancun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Far North Dallas
Posts: 3,586
Send a message via AIM to Mr Cancun Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Cancun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
That is the way these threads always go though- the long term stay people and the ex-pats get upset with the puzzled or frightened short-term vacationers and blame them for the practice continuing.

I think it's misplaced anger and frustration at their powerlessness to change things. Understandable to be frustrated but it's hardly the naīve vacationers fault.

I certainly don't blame vacationers- I would likely just pay the 'fine' and GTFO, myself. Part of the reason why I don't ever rent cars in Mexico, I don't want the hassle of having to worry about parking, accidents, being pulled over, Pemex scams, etc.
I hear you on that, after 54 trips, not once ever rented a car. For the same reasons you listed.
Mr Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017   #48 (permalink)
way into it
 
AZGonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 220
The thing that pissed me off the most was that it happened with my two sons in the car. Although they are 26 & 27 it was their first trip to see the new casa. Not the best last impression of Mexico...

(I know...if my wife had her seatbelt on, it wouldn't have happened. But, big difference between Dad getting a ticket and Dad paying off a Policia.)

We only rented cars this past year to make it easier to get around since we were furnishing the place from scratch. Now that it's all finished we will likely go back to airport shuttles and taxis. All in all, its much more economical.

That is...until I buy my VW Safari/Thing/Aculpulco!
AZGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017   #49 (permalink)
aņejo
 
canadiense loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Red Deer,Alberta,Canada
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGonzo View Post
The thing that pissed me off the most was that it happened with my two sons in the car. Although they are 26 & 27 it was their first trip to see the new casa. Not the best last impression of Mexico...

(I know...if my wife had her seatbelt on, it wouldn't have happened. But, big difference between Dad getting a ticket and Dad paying off a Policia.)

We only rented cars this past year to make it easier to get around since we were furnishing the place from scratch. Now that it's all finished we will likely go back to airport shuttles and taxis. All in all, its much more economical.

That is...until I buy my VW Safari/Thing/Aculpulco!
I use shuttles or my one particular taxi driver for airport just to avoid the possible "tourist on their way to the airport" pullover. Plus I just don't like having to deal with the rental agency before I fly out. One less possible hassle. But I still enjoy having a car at least part of the time. Sometimes I just wanna get in and go. Buses and collectivos just can't get you to some places or at least easily. Mostly I am not one for schedules.....or buses.
BTW.....have not had the shakedown, at least yet.

Last edited by canadiense loco; 09-14-2017 at 09:44 AM..
canadiense loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017   #50 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Sogno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 936
Without a vehicle every year, my family & I wouldn't have discovered the wonderful things and people we have in this region. Twenty five + years, and not a problem, so hopefully we're good for at least another 25 years.

Not everyone should drive there. Then again, I'm of the opinion that well over 50% of motorists shouldn't be allowed to drive a vehicle. And that goes for here at home.
Sogno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017   #51 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Debbiec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northwestern New Jersey - in the boonies
Posts: 3,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogno View Post
Without a vehicle every year, my family & I wouldn't have discovered the wonderful things and people we have in this region. Twenty five + years, and not a problem, so hopefully we're good for at least another 25 years.

Not everyone should drive there. Then again, I'm of the opinion that well over 50% of motorists shouldn't be allowed to drive a vehicle. And that goes for here at home.
Ain't THAT the truth!!
Debbiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017   #52 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,339
haha, yes, I am of that same opinion- so many bad drivers!

My thing is, I drive every day when not on vacation (one hour commute to work, three hours plus to get places on weekends, etc.)- that I have no desire to drive on vacation. I want to be driven, instead. And I have hired a taxi for a full day a few times if I want to explore off the beaten track anywhere- and then I can have a drink or three without worry, too.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017   #53 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Sogno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
haha, yes, I am of that same opinion- so many bad drivers!

My thing is, I drive every day when not on vacation (one hour commute to work, three hours plus to get places on weekends, etc.)- that I have no desire to drive on vacation. I want to be driven, instead. And I have hired a taxi for a full day a few times if I want to explore off the beaten track anywhere- and then I can have a drink or three without worry, too.

Now retired, I'm a professional driver, and drive for a living. I can't imagine not driving while on vacation. I'd feel isolated without wheels. We have plenty of time to enjoy a fine libation when we return to our condo.

We once stayed for 2 weeks in a beach side condo, but only had a rental vehicle for one of the 2 weeks. We vowed, never again. We missed that car dearly. Can only lay around so much.

To each their own, no doubt.
Sogno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017   #54 (permalink)
way into it
 
AZGonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogno View Post
Now retired, I'm a professional driver, and drive for a living.
Uber or Lyft???
AZGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017   #55 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogno View Post
Now retired, I'm a professional driver, and drive for a living. I can't imagine not driving while on vacation. I'd feel isolated without wheels. We have plenty of time to enjoy a fine libation when we return to our condo.

We once stayed for 2 weeks in a beach side condo, but only had a rental vehicle for one of the 2 weeks. We vowed, never again. We missed that car dearly. Can only lay around so much.

To each their own, no doubt.

yup, no doubt. To be sure, 'vacation' means different things to different people. Nothing wrong with that. Or with just seeing things differently.

it also depends on where you are staying. On Isla Mujeres most would say it would be silly to rent a car (although I will be renting a golf cart in December). Half Moon Bay, makes more sense to rent a car-but hardly a 'must'.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017   #56 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Sogno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 936
[quote=Rissask;2193586]yup, no doubt. To be sure, 'vacation' means different things to different people. Nothing wrong with that. Or with just seeing things differently.

it also depends on where you are staying. On Isla Mujeres most would say it would be silly to rent a car (although I will be renting a golf cart in December). Half Moon Bay, makes more sense to rent a car-but hardly a 'must'.[/QUOTE]

Too funny! It was actually HMB where we didn't have the car for 1 of our 2 weeks there. Nearly went mad.
Sogno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017   #57 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
yup, no doubt. To be sure, 'vacation' means different things to different people. Nothing wrong with that. Or with just seeing things differently.

it also depends on where you are staying. On Isla Mujeres most would say it would be silly to rent a car (although I will be renting a golf cart in December). Half Moon Bay, makes more sense to rent a car-but hardly a 'must'.[
Too funny! It was actually HMB where we didn't have the car for 1 of our 2 weeks there. Nearly went mad.
was that recently? There are more restaurants there now than in the past, both right at HMB and a short walk to the beachfront Akumal resort area.

But getting a taxi there is a nightmare and they are extortionists. So I think I'd rent a car there too. At least think about it.

Last edited by Rissask; 09-14-2017 at 06:20 PM..
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017   #58 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Sogno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
was that recently? There are more restaurants there now than in the past, both right at HMB and a short walk to the beachfront Akumal resort area.

But getting a taxi there is a nightmare and they are extortionists. So I think I'd rent a car there too. At least think about it.
OFF TOPIC perhaps -

A couple years ago. We've moved on from Akumal, but stop in to visit friends there. One dear friend there is teaching me to speak Mayan.

We're familiar with all of the restaurants there, in puebla, and never even venture to turtle town, orange vest, resort-vill in south Akumal. Our typical day takes in much more than restaurants. We're the odd folk that enjoy exploring by day, and cooking at night while on vacation and residing in our condo. Foods that we can't find here at home. No schedules, no timelines. Just a cold Margarita, (the best on the planet made by your's truly), and evenings on our private beach. Glorious. The best part - we keep discovering. Our means to do so is our wheels. Hence, my following this.

Last edited by Sogno; 09-14-2017 at 09:19 PM..
Sogno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017   #59 (permalink)
into ruins
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Waterloo, ON/Playa Del Carmen, QR
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGonzo View Post
That is...until I buy my VW Safari/Thing/Aculpulco!
You forgot Type 181 and Kubelwagen
teebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017   #60 (permalink)
way into it
 
AZGonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebee View Post
You forgot Type 181 and Kubelwagen
Ahhh! Don't forget Type 82 as well!

Always wanted one!!!
AZGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.