Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2017   #1 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
crmoores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Finger Lakes & Playa!
Posts: 379
Favorite margarita recipe - frozen or not!

Will be making some this week
crmoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017   #2 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 58
This is my favorite, but I like many:

Margaritas
Makes 1 quart (4 to 6 servings)
4 teaspoons grated lime zest
1/2 cup lime juice from 2 to 3 medium limes
4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/2 cup lemon juice from 2 to 3 medium lemons
1/4 cup superfine sugar
pinch table salt
2 cups crushed ice
1 cup 100 percent agave tequila, preferably Reposado
1 cup Triple Sec

Combine lime zest and juice, lemon zest and juice, sugar, and salt in large liquid measuring cup; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until flavors meld, 4 to 24 hours.

Divide 1 cup crushed ice between 4 or 6 margarita or double old-fashioned glasses. Strain juice mixture into 1-quart pitcher or cocktail shaker. Add tequila, Triple Sec, and remaining crushed ice; stir or shake until thoroughly combined and chilled, 20 to 60 seconds. Strain into ice-filled glasses; serve immediately.
BeachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017   #3 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,427
For one margarita

Juice of one lime

shot and a half of tequila
1/2 shot of Controy
a little Gran Marnier
two packets of splenda
Ice
A little water
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017   #4 (permalink)
añejo
 
eccentrictinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 3,309
Rick Bayless's recipe:

2 oz. tequila
1 oz. Triple Sec or Controy (Cointreau, if it's payday)
1 oz. simple syrup (prefer 1 part sugar to 1 part water. Usually simple syrup is 1:1)
1 oz. fresh fresh-squeezed lime juice
A slice of lime for garnish and be sure to salt the rim!

Fill your glass with ice, pour in ingredients, shake a little (not stirred)

Enjoy!

I do this on a daily basis. For a few minutes everyday my mind returns to Mexico, white beach sand, turquoise water and blue sky. It also prevents scurvy.

Splenda?!

Last edited by eccentrictinker; 09-26-2017 at 10:14 AM..
eccentrictinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017   #5 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentrictinker View Post
Rick Bayless's recipe:

2 oz. tequila
1 oz. Triple Sec or Controy (Cointreau, if it's payday)
1 oz. simple syrup (prefer 1 part sugar to 1 part water. Usually simple syrup is 1:1)
1 oz. fresh fresh-squeezed lime juice
A slice of lime for garnish and be sure to salt the rim!

Fill your glass with ice, pour in ingredients, shake a little (not stirred)

Enjoy!

I do this on a daily basis. For a few minutes everyday my mind returns to Mexico, white beach sand, turquoise water and blue sky. It also prevents scurvy.

Splenda?!
Sounds good. Sounds strong. No salt. Most of us need no more salt in our diets . Splenda for diabetics, or Stevia, that is correct.

You can buy simple syrup made with Splenda.
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017   #6 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentrictinker View Post
Rick Bayless's recipe:

2 oz. tequila
1 oz. Triple Sec or Controy (Cointreau, if it's payday)
1 oz. simple syrup (prefer 1 part sugar to 1 part water. Usually simple syrup is 1:1)
1 oz. fresh fresh-squeezed lime juice
A slice of lime for garnish and be sure to salt the rim!

Fill your glass with ice, pour in ingredients, shake a little (not stirred)

Enjoy!

I do this on a daily basis. For a few minutes everyday my mind returns to Mexico, white beach sand, turquoise water and blue sky. It also prevents scurvy.

Splenda?!
This is a good recipe as well, similar to my daiquiri:

2 oz dark rum
1 oz simple syrup
1 oz lime

I agree, splenda has no place in anything, especially a margarita.
BeachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017   #7 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMan View Post

I agree, splenda has no place in anything, especially a margarita.
Wrong yet again
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017   #8 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
Wrong yet again
I will try and conform to your way of thinking in the future.
BeachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017   #9 (permalink)
life=playa
 
Sogno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 947
Perfected after years of trial & error.

* Good blue agave tequila, blanco or repo.

* Fresh squeezed lime juice. Roughly one juicy lime per Marg.

* Splash of Cointreau

* Small amount of agave nectar. I don't measure, but just use small bar spoon and amount depends on how many Marg's being prepared.

* Secret ingredient: splash of ice cold water. Again, amount dependent on quantity.

Stirred over cracked ice. Strained into glasses with fresh cracked ice. No bloody salt on the rim for God's sake. Try not to be a complete gringo.
Sogno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017   #10 (permalink)
añejo
 
Debbiec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northwestern New Jersey - in the boonies
Posts: 3,324
My favorite Margarita recipe:

Ketel One Martini.

Debbiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017   #11 (permalink)
añejo
 
Bluespicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: PdC
Posts: 5,712
3 ounces tequila
2 ounces fresh squeezed lime juice
1 ounce agave syrup(add more to taste)
shake with ice in a martini shaker
pour and add a float of Contreau
Bluespicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017   #12 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMan View Post
I will try and conform to your way of thinking in the future.
Let me know when you get diagnosed with diabetes
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017   #13 (permalink)
toe in water
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
Let me know when you get diagnosed with diabetes
Nope, splenda will never be in a margarita I have.

I am perfectly capable of limiting myself to one full sugar margarita in an evening currently and that won't change if I happen to become diabetic. The difference in sugar between a full sugar margarita and a splenda magarita is neglible if you limit your consumption.
BeachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017   #14 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 75,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMan View Post
Nope, splenda will never be in a margarita I have.

I am perfectly capable of limiting myself to one full sugar margarita in an evening currently and that won't change if I happen to become diabetic. The difference in sugar between a full sugar margarita and a splenda magarita is neglible if you limit your consumption.
It depends on how much sugar you use. If you use two teaspoons, as many do that is about 9 grams of carbohydrates. If you are limiting your carbs to less than 30 grams a day, that is a big amount.

It can vary by individual, that is for sure. For those on a low carb regime, it matters a great deal.
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017   #15 (permalink)
way into it
 
AndyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
It depends on how much sugar you use. If you use two teaspoons, as many do that is about 9 grams of carbohydrates. If you are limiting your carbs to less than 30 grams a day, that is a big amount.

It can vary by individual, that is for sure. For those on a low carb regime, it matters a great deal.
There's 7g of carbs in the juice of a lime alone... so if you're trying to stick to a keto diet, lol at drinking any Margaritas.
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.