Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Off Topic Stuff > General Off-Topic Stuff
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2017   #16 (permalink)
añejo
 
bearcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,993
My wife is a huge Thanksgiving fan. It might be her favorite holiday. She has a big family and it is the one time of year that they are all at our house. Way too much food.

On a separate note, she spent the last 2 days putting up our Christmas trees (3 of them), garland, decorations, lights, etc. She is earlier than usual but it is her thing. She loves it.
bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017   #17 (permalink)
añejo
 
horizon200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat View Post
My wife is a huge Thanksgiving fan. It might be her favorite holiday. She has a big family and it is the one time of year that they are all at our house. Way too much food.

On a separate note, she spent the last 2 days putting up our Christmas trees (3 of them), garland, decorations, lights, etc. She is earlier than usual but it is her thing. She loves it.
We were talking about that on the ride home from NJ on Sunday. My wife said "If it were up to you, you wouldn't even put a tree up, right?" I just shrugged....I got "The Look" after that!
horizon200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017   #18 (permalink)
añejo
 
TAPPY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 22,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon200 View Post
We were talking about that on the ride home from NJ on Sunday. My wife said "If it were up to you, you wouldn't even put a tree up, right?" I just shrugged....I got "The Look" after that!
I go back and forth on decorations. I have to put them up and take them down. I rather spend my time watching Christmas Hallmark movies

We live in a new urban neighborhood and the pressure is on to decorate. I don't think a wreath on the door is gonna get it. Maybe a big blow up snowman !!! (not)
TAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017   #19 (permalink)
añejo
 
bearcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon200 View Post
We were talking about that on the ride home from NJ on Sunday. My wife said "If it were up to you, you wouldn't even put a tree up, right?" I just shrugged....I got "The Look" after that!
Ha! We are 2 peas in a pod. Last year she sent me out for milk and some candy canes for the trees. I returned with a big giant plastic Santa that sang when you pushed its hand. 50% off! I couldn't resist. That was all I needed. By the way, I forgot to get both the milk and the candy canes.

I got my grandmother a tree for her apartment when she first moved to an assisted living facility. It came in a box with lights and spun around and played music when you plugged it in. It was white with blue lights. My wife hated it but my grandmother loved it. Only $12 bucks!
bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017   #20 (permalink)
añejo
 
TAPPY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 22,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat View Post
Ha! We are 2 peas in a pod. Last year she sent me out for milk and some candy canes for the trees. I returned with a big giant plastic Santa that sang when you pushed its hand. 50% off! I couldn't resist. That was all I needed. By the way, I forgot to get both the milk and the candy canes.

I got my grandmother a tree for her apartment when she first moved to an assisted living facility. It came in a box with lights and spun around and played music when you plugged it in. It was white with blue lights. My wife hated it but my grandmother loved it. Only $12 bucks!
And who can forget color wheels and bubble lights !!
TAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017   #21 (permalink)
añejo
 
horizon200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat View Post
Ha! We are 2 peas in a pod. Last year she sent me out for milk and some candy canes for the trees. I returned with a big giant plastic Santa that sang when you pushed its hand. 50% off! I couldn't resist. That was all I needed. By the way, I forgot to get both the milk and the candy canes.

I got my grandmother a tree for her apartment when she first moved to an assisted living facility. It came in a box with lights and spun around and played music when you plugged it in. It was white with blue lights. My wife hated it but my grandmother loved it. Only $12 bucks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by TAPPY View Post
And who can forget color wheels and bubble lights !!
When we were kids my mother brought home a silver tree and blue decorations.....it didn't happen a second year!
horizon200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017   #22 (permalink)
añejo
 
MikeW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moorpark, CA
Posts: 14,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon200 View Post
We were talking about that on the ride home from NJ on Sunday. My wife said "If it were up to you, you wouldn't even put a tree up, right?" I just shrugged....I got "The Look" after that!
I don't get "The Look" anymore. I went all out last year, hung outdoor lights outside by the front door. Shocked the family. Not sure what they are expecting this year, but there's an Oldsmobile Big Block in the way of the decorations in the garage.
MikeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017   #23 (permalink)
añejo
 
horizon200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
I don't get "The Look" anymore. I went all out last year, hung outdoor lights outside by the front door. Shocked the family. Not sure what they are expecting this year, but there's an Oldsmobile Big Block in the way of the decorations in the garage.
Drape some garland off the dizzy of that big block and call it a day!
horizon200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017   #24 (permalink)
añejo
 
Harold-R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Woodinville WA
Posts: 2,409
Thanksgiving this year will be just the wife and I and our puppy. It's gonna be a good one Grain fed rib steaks, twice baked potatoes, and Baby green peas.
Harold-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017   #25 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,549
so we've already had our Thanksgiving up here in Canada, a month ago....but last night I was laying there last night, drifting off to sleep...

and I start thinking how lucky we all are to live where we do (many/most of us, anyway)....

when I want safe, clean water, I turn on my tap and there it is.

When I need to learn, I have good quality schools and tech schools and universities to attend.

When I am sleepy, I have a super comfortable warm bed to sleep in (and whatever ) with clean sheets and blackout blinds.

When I am hungry, I drive five minutes to a huge beautiful grocery store with food from all over the world at fair prices.

I have light and heat and A/C in my home.


I have safe good quality roads that go anywhere I would want to go- and a reliable vehicle to go there.

if I have problems, no matter how big or how small, I have places to go for help- from good friends and family, to employee counselling services to doctors/good hospitals./ERs.

If I have a house fire, there is a fire station two blocks away- and smoke and heat detectors in my house. I can rely on the police to help me if I need their help...and I'm thankful I am lucky and smart enough to avoid needing them.


Because I need money, I am lucky to have a good paying job to go to that I enjoy very much- with amazing co-workers (mostly ).


and when I want some warmth in the wintertime, I go to Mexico! And I am thankful I can afford to travel a lot, my favourite thing to do.


what are YOU thankful for??
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017   #26 (permalink)
añejo
 
TAPPY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 22,239
All of the above Maggie ! and my health and family and some dang good friends. Having been "cured" of two major health issues - I am happy to be here and feeling great. Every day feels like a gift.

And I get to go back to Colorado again this year (my new happy place)
TAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017   #27 (permalink)
¡No mames güey!
 
roni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 76,079
Kathy does minimalist, good looking decorations for Chirstmas. I like that.
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017   #28 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAPPY View Post
All of the above Maggie ! and my health and family and some dang good friends. Having been "cured" of two major health issues - I am happy to be here and feeling great. Every day feels like a gift.

And I get to go back to Colorado again this year (my new happy place)

Now THAT is certainly something to be thankful for!
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017   #29 (permalink)
añejo
 
TAPPY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 22,239
There is nothing like a Pot Luck Thanksgiving lunch in south Louisiana ! Just sayin -
TAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017   #30 (permalink)
añejo
 
melliedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 30,681
Happy Thanksgiving, PI peeps!

Everyone's coming to my house for wine and cocktails, and then we are doing a first: out to eat for turkey day. Buffet at an Irish pub, bring it on.

My rosemary infused vodka smells perfect, but it's too early even for me to taste. Three choices: straight up in a martini with vermouth olives, highball with cranberry gingerale, or herb-y bloody mary.

Hope that you all enjoy your family and friends today. My guy is stuck on the rail road another holiday, but he's mainly worried about getting home in time to catch the Cowboys. Cheers!
melliedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.