Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1 (permalink)
way into it
 
AZGonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 236
Deadly bus crash...

At least 12 people died when a bus carrying cruise ship passengers to Mayan ruins in eastern Mexico flipped over on a highway early Tuesday, officials said.

Seven Americans and two citizens of Sweden are among the injured, according to Quintana Roo state Civil Defense spokesman Vicente Martin, who said authorities haven't yet established the nationalities of the dead.

Miami-based Royal Caribbean Cruises said in a statement that passengers from two of its ships, the Celebrity Equinox and Serenade of the Seas, were involved in the crash. The company expressed its sympathies and said it was assisting with medical care and transportation.

A spokesman from the U.S. Embassy in Mexico said U.S. officials were working with local authorities to determine whether U.S. citizens were involved.


http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-mexico-tourist-bus-crash-20171219-story.html
AZGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2 (permalink)
life=playa
 
DrewJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 707
Damn... that's horrible.
DrewJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3 (permalink)
aņejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,590
From ABC News:

"At least 12 killed, including minor, in Mexico tour bus crash......
Passengers who were traveling on two Royal Caribbean cruise ships were involved in a deadly bus crash in Mexico, a spokesman for the cruise line told ABC News.
The tour bus crashed in the southeastern part of the Yucatan Peninsula Tuesday shortly before 10 a.m. local time, according to a spokesperson for the attorney general's office in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo.
At least 12 people were killed in the crash, and a minor was among the dead, according to the Quintana Roo state government.
The nationalities of the passengers aboard the bus were American, Italian, Swedish and Brazilian, according to a statement from the Costa Maya Port, which is near the crash site. The bus belonged to the port and crashed at Kilometer 5 of the Mahahual-Cafetal highway, the statement said. Emergency services and medics arrived on the scene immediately following the crash, the Quintana Roo state government said in a statement.
Multiple people were injured and transferred to four hospitals, and five of those passengers have been discharged, according to the statement. Representatives from the port, the government and insurance companies have been dispatched to each hospital to ensure that "all actors involved are being helped, supported and informed," the statement said.
The tour bus involved in the crash was carrying guests from Royal Caribbean's Celebrity Equinox and Serenade of the Seas, said cruise spokesman Owen Torres.
"The news from Costa Maya about a bus accident involving our guests is heartbreaking," Torres said. "Our hearts go out to all those involved. We are doing all we can to care for our guests, including assisting with medical care and transportation."
The cruise line is in contact with local authorities, Torres said.
Royal Caribbean tweeted that it had 27 guests aboard the bus, which was headed toward the Chacchoben Ruins, a Mayan ruin about 110 miles south of Tulum. A total of 31 people were on board the bus, according to the Quintana Roo state government. A tour guide and driver were among those on board, the port said in a statement."

Terrible tragedy.
And I am going on a cruise on the Celebrity Equinox on January 6th with 10 friends.
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 137
This is very tragic, and again I ask why there is no requirement for a drivers test - written & practical road test. Does this also apply to bus drivers as it does to taxi drivers, etc.????

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewJones View Post
In Mexico City I went in to get a driver's license. There was no test and it was very easy. I asked they why it was so easy, and they said they don't "license" driver's, but they just "register" drivers. Basically anyone can drive, they just want record of who's who when something happens.


Apparently they actually "license" drivers in many Mexican states, including Quintana Roo.


But generally the culture around driving is just "different" here.
northplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5 (permalink)
aņejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by northplaya View Post
This is very tragic, and again I ask why there is no requirement for a drivers test - written & practical road test. Does this also apply to bus drivers as it does to taxi drivers, etc.????
Have you gotten some lead on what caused the accident or just looking for some rumor to start?

Who says there is no requirement for a driver's test? There are different types of licenses and all have requirements, including tests, eye exams, etc.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6 (permalink)
Life=Playa (almost)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 4,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by northplaya View Post
This is very tragic, and again I ask why there is no requirement for a drivers test - written & practical road test. Does this also apply to bus drivers as it does to taxi drivers, etc.????

Deadly bus accidents happen everywhere in the world, including the U.S. and Canada where requirements are more stringent. The cause of this crash hasnīt been determined. How do you know itīs the driverīs fault? I complain about the driving here as much as anyone but I donīt think itīs fair to jump to conclusions.
u2girlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7 (permalink)
aņejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2girlie View Post
Deadly bus accidents happen everywhere in the world, including the U.S. and Canada where requirements are more stringent. The cause of this crash hasnīt been determined. How do you know itīs the driverīs fault? I complain about the driving here as much as anyone but I donīt think itīs fair to jump to conclusions.
I am not sure that requirements are "more stringent" in the US and Canada for bus drivers. Those licenses are hard to get here and ever since NAFTA, a lot of those kinds of things were standardized in all three countries.

But, you always have the guy who is going to blame Mexico or corruption or "third world standards" before the bodies are even returned to their loved ones. Just how some people are wired, I reckon.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 137
I'm not trying to start any rumors nor put blame on anyone. My question is regarding the requirements to be able to drive a car or truck in the Yucatan. Acccording to those people who responded under the thread "Drivers License Requirement", there really is no requirement other than to go and register, drive around the block and park, and get a license - no real testing involved. If this is wrong, please advise what the requirements are to get a drivers license. Is there an actual driving test (rather than just drive around the block), and is there a written practical test? And, where do you go in Playa for the driving and written tests?

I don't think my questions are out of line - just want to know the requirements.
northplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9 (permalink)
aņejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by northplaya View Post
I'm not trying to start any rumors nor put blame on anyone. My question is regarding the requirements to be able to drive a car or truck in the Yucatan. Acccording to those people who responded under the thread "Drivers License Requirement", there really is no requirement other than to go and register, drive around the block and park, and get a license - no real testing involved. If this is wrong, please advise what the requirements are to get a drivers license. Is there an actual driving test (rather than just drive around the block), and is there a written practical test? And, where do you go in Playa for the driving and written tests?

I don't think my questions are out of line - just want to know the requirements.
On a thread about a deadly bus crash where people lost loved ones? I'll pass. Transito is on the Arco Via (115) near Villamar 1. I am sure someone can help you there.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10 (permalink)
aņejo
 
canadiense loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Red Deer,Alberta,Canada
Posts: 2,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
On a thread about a deadly bus crash where people lost loved ones? I'll pass. Transito is on the Arco Via (115) near Villamar 1. I am sure someone can help you there.
Agreed.
canadiense loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by northplaya View Post
I'm not trying to start any rumors nor put blame on anyone. My question is regarding the requirements to be able to drive a car or truck in the Yucatan. Acccording to those people who responded under the thread "Drivers License Requirement", there really is no requirement other than to go and register, drive around the block and park, and get a license - no real testing involved. If this is wrong, please advise what the requirements are to get a drivers license. Is there an actual driving test (rather than just drive around the block), and is there a written practical test? And, where do you go in Playa for the driving and written tests?

I don't think my questions are out of line - just want to know the requirements.
Your questions are not out of line at all. Each municipality issues its own drivers's license (mine is from Tulum), and although each town may have its own 'requirements', there are essentially no practical requirements or tests for obtaining a driver's license here for non-natives other than showing up with the usual copies of passport, visa, CFE bill, (usually in your landlord's name if you are a tourist or renter), and your foreign driver's license - in Tulum, if you apply in the morning the license is issued after lunch the same day.

Although driver's ed may exist in Mexico, it apparently isn't taught in high schools, and I have never yet met anybody (including taxi drivers) who has had instruction of any kind whatsoever here other than OJT, i.e., 'driving like all the other drivers' - the sole exception was a cautious and courteous taxista who learned how to drive in Toronto.

The exception to all of this is a required course of study leading to an exam for a license to drive passenger vans and larger buses operated by hotels, tour agencies, and bus companies - but as far as I am aware, there is apparently no such course of study and/or exam for collectivo and other taxi-van drivers. ADO bus drivers seem to be the stand-out exception - all ADO drivers that I have encountered have been cautious and courteous drivers, obviously the result of an intensive corporate safety training program.

Unless the bus driver in this terrible accident ran off the road, it's likely that another driver in another vehicle had something to do with the accident (although this is pure speculation, since I have seen nothing yet about its cause, which could be anything - but questioning the training requirements for obtaining a driver's license in Mexico is usually a good place to start, as you did).

Last edited by beam-eye; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:40 PM..
beam-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12 (permalink)
aņejo
 
Babaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Playa del Carmen
Posts: 29,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by beam-eye View Post
Your questions are not out of line at all. Each municipality issues its own drivers's license (mine is from Tulum), and although each town may have its own 'requirements', there are essentially no practical requirements or tests for obtaining a driver's license here for non-natives other than showing up with the usual copies of passport, visa, CFE bill, (usually in your landlord's name if you are a tourist or renter), and your foreign driver's license - in Tulum, if you apply in the morning the license is issued after lunch the same day.

Although driver's ed may exist in Mexico, it apparently isn't taught in high schools, and I have never yet met anybody (including taxi drivers) who has had instruction of any kind whatsoever here other than OJT, i.e., 'driving like all the other drivers' - the sole exception was a cautious and courteous taxista who learned how to drive in Toronto.

The exception to all of this is a required course of study leading to an exam for a license to drive passenger vans and larger buses operated by hotels, tour agencies, and bus companies - but as far as I am aware, there is apparently no such course of study and/or exam for collectivo and other taxi-van drivers. ADO bus drivers seem to be the stand-out exception - all ADO drivers that I have encountered have been cautious and courteous drivers, obviously the result of an intensive corporate safety training program.

Unless the bus driver in this terrible accident ran off the road, it's likely that another driver in another vehicle had something to do with the accident (although this is pure speculation, since I have seen nothing yet about its cause, which could be anything - but questioning the training requirements for obtaining a driver's license in Mexico is usually a good place to start, as you did).
What are the rules (laws) for commercial drivers?
Yeah. I figured as much.
Babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
crmoores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Finger Lakes & Playa!
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
On a thread about a deadly bus crash where people lost loved ones? I'll pass. Transito is on the Arco Via (115) near Villamar 1. I am sure someone can help you there.
Agreed. Conjecture on the cause of this tragedy, at this stage, is unwarranted if not just plain foolish. Too quick to jump to conclusions...

Last edited by crmoores; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:44 AM..
crmoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14 (permalink)
way into it
 
AZGonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 236
We just had a train crash in Washington State. It was going 80mph when it derailed. Railway cars fell off the overpass onto the highway below. 3 people killed.

Yet 12 killed on the bus...

Amazing.
AZGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15 (permalink)
way into it
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 137
Thank you Beam Eye for the information. And yes, it is very tragic about what happened to all those people who were killed and injured. My heart goes out to them and their families. But that still doesn't mean that questions can't be asked. Prayers to all involved.
northplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.