Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > Off Topic Stuff > General Off-Topic Stuff
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #136 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
yawn....

I think I'll just post this again as it's been once again recently illustrated by the last two posters so well.
It was sufficiently moronic the first time around.

"I have a test tomorrow but the result isn't in my hands because a meteor might hit the school"

"running with scissors isn't as dangerous as people think because a tree can fall on you while you run"

That's more or less your argument, except the tree and the meteor are both far more likely to impact you than an external factor is likely to impact the planet in the horizon we're talking about.
ProfessorPibil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #137 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorPibil View Post
It was sufficiently moronic the first time around.

"I have a test tomorrow but the result isn't in my hands because a meteor might hit the school"

"running with scissors isn't as dangerous as people think because a tree can fall on you while you run"

That's more or less your argument, except the tree and the meteor are both far more likely to impact you than an external factor is likely to impact the planet in the horizon we're talking about.

well, that wasn't at all my 'argument' at all, but ok .

My 'argument' is that there are two extremes to the whole climate change debate- and the reality is somewhere in the middle of those two extremes. Like most debates.

One is the right-wing, 'man is not doing ANYTHING to cause climate change/ the 'science' is all wrong, here let me quote this one other study that refutes the other 100,000 studies/ there is no problem!/no worries, god will save us, etc.' side...


and the other is the other (and equally wrong) side of those arrogant enough to think it's all or mostly caused by mankind's actions, and if we just stopped burning oil and stop eating so many pesky methane producers, we have the power to reverse it, like we have that sort of power over nature.
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #138 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 3,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorPibil View Post
It was sufficiently moronic the first time around.

"I have a test tomorrow but the result isn't in my hands because a meteor might hit the school"

"running with scissors isn't as dangerous as people think because a tree can fall on you while you run"

That's more or less your argument, except the tree and the meteor are both far more likely to impact you than an external factor is likely to impact the planet in the horizon we're talking about.
Why are you using fossil fuels if you are so concerned? If you really feel like man can make a difference, you start. Get off the grid, starting with the internet. No more travel involving fossil fuel. No electricity unless 100% solar. Walk or bike but don't breathe while doing so. Show us how we can make a difference. Be the change you demand of others! Si se puede!
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #139 (permalink)
añejo
 
CalifGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
Why are you using fossil fuels if you are so concerned? If you really feel like man can make a difference, you start. Get off the grid, starting with the internet. No more travel involving fossil fuel. No electricity unless 100% solar. Walk or bike but don't breathe while doing so. Show us how we can make a difference. Be the change you demand of others! Si se puede!
We need more Norwegians

Nearly 40% of new car sales in Norway over the past 12 months were for electric vehicles.

Last edited by CalifGuy; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:25 AM..
CalifGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #140 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 3,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifGuy View Post
We need more Norwegians

Nearly 40% of new car sales in Norway in 2017 were for electric vehicles.
A total population of fewer than many US cities, ridiculously generous incentives and the ability to have lots of plug-in stations due to its concentration of people in or near cities, not surprising. Although it is closer to 30% than 40%. Not really feasible in the US. And what is that electricity being generated from?
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #141 (permalink)
Canada Dry
 
Rissask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 56,597
Electric vehicles can be a great option, and save a lot on gas

Sadly, they don't work too well in our extreme winters.

and true, what is making the electricity- coal?
Rissask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #142 (permalink)
añejo
 
CalifGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
A total population of fewer than many US cities, ridiculously generous incentives and the ability to have lots of plug-in stations due to its concentration of people in or near cities, not surprising. Although it is closer to 30% than 40%. Not really feasible in the US. And what is that electricity being generated from?
Population less than many US cities? What do you consider many, like two?


Electric cars reach record 42% of Norway’s total new car sales with boost from Tesla Model X

Last edited by CalifGuy; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:26 AM..
CalifGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #143 (permalink)
añejo
 
eccentrictinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 3,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifGuy View Post
Population less than many US cities? What do you consider many, like two?

Closer to 30% than 40, are you using the conservative's new-math, the same math with which the GOP used when creating their tax bill, claiming the national debt will not increase because of it?

Electric cars reach record 42% of Norway’s total new car sales with boost from Tesla Model X

The state of Maryland has a greater population and higher GDP than Norway.

There were 18,000 light vehicles sold in Norway during 2017.

Almost 18 million light vehicles were sold in the U.S. during 2017.

Why base any comparison on Norway? (Full disclosure: I'm married to a Norwegian. )
eccentrictinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #144 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,458
Although Norway's money (and there's lots of it) comes from North Sea oil, its domestic power generation is overwhelmingly - almost exclusively - hydroelectric. It's why the Teutonic gods invented fjords, while the American gods invented Buicks and Charlie ("What's good for General Motors is good for the USA") Wilson. And it was good, for a good long while. But those days are now over - except for fossil fools and their fossil gods like Trumpf, whose concept of 'power generators' is to karma as Montezuma is to revenge.

Here's a links list - take your pick.

https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=h...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by beam-eye; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:03 AM..
beam-eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #145 (permalink)
añejo
 
PlayadelSolDos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 3,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifGuy View Post
Population less than many US cities? What do you consider many, like two?


Electric cars reach record 42% of Norway’s total new car sales with boost from Tesla Model X
I never was very good at math.
PlayadelSolDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #146 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayadelSolDos View Post
Why are you using fossil fuels if you are so concerned? If you really feel like man can make a difference, you start. Get off the grid, starting with the internet. No more travel involving fossil fuel. No electricity unless 100% solar. Walk or bike but don't breathe while doing so. Show us how we can make a difference. Be the change you demand of others! Si se puede!
I buy all my home and office electricity from a solar + wind + hydro provider that falls back to nuclear when there are supply issues (last happened in 2016 for one day), and I almost exclusively use public transportation that is all electric. There's still no way around fossil fuel for flights, or for travel in third world countries like the US and Mexico, but I take relatively few trips.

Podemos
ProfessorPibil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #147 (permalink)
añejo
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissask View Post
well, that wasn't at all my 'argument' at all, but ok .

My 'argument' is that there are two extremes to the whole climate change debate- and the reality is somewhere in the middle of those two extremes. Like most debates.

One is the right-wing, 'man is not doing ANYTHING to cause climate change/ the 'science' is all wrong, here let me quote this one other study that refutes the other 100,000 studies/ there is no problem!/no worries, god will save us, etc.' side...


and the other is the other (and equally wrong) side of those arrogant enough to think it's all or mostly caused by mankind's actions, and if we just stopped burning oil and stop eating so many pesky methane producers, we have the power to reverse it, like we have that sort of power over nature.
Right, except that's not true. Just as the truth isn't between evolution and creationism. If there's a group offering a ridiculous argument based on nothing, that doesn't make the truth go in the direction of that argument at all.

If I say 1+1=2 (and trust me, I know my Dedekind and my Peano so there's no point in quasi philosophy here) and tmc says 1+1=3 then 1+1 stays 2 and doesn't become 2.4.
ProfessorPibil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #148 (permalink)
añejo
 
CalifGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentrictinker View Post
The state of Maryland has a greater population and higher GDP than Norway.

There were 18,000 light vehicles sold in Norway during 2017.

Almost 18 million light vehicles were sold in the U.S. during 2017.

Why base any comparison on Norway? (Full disclosure: I'm married to a Norwegian. )
^^^^All nice to know information, but there was no "comparison".

Just a statement in full agreement with your fearless leader, "we need more Norwegians".
CalifGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.