Playa del Carmen, Mexico's virtual guidebook written by locals
 

Go Back   www.Playa.info > General discussion > General - Playa del Carmen
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago   #1 (permalink)
way into it
 
wannabeinplaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dundas, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 100
Playacar phase 2 - gate access to renters with a rental car

Hi! We are renting a condo in phase 2. Thinking about renting a car for a week to do some day trips. Does anyone out there know what the current procedures are for getting in and out of the main gate for a renter with a rental car? We have heard that you need a Playacar ID card from the condo owner...we have heard that they take your drivers license everytime you come into Playacar phase 2 and hold it until you go back out even if that is for a day or 2...
Does anyone know the current procedure?
Any info would be appreciated. Even a phone number to call to ask...we don't speak Spanish but maybe someone there would speak English....
Thanks in advance. You guys have always been so helpful!
wannabeinplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2 (permalink)
añejo
 
Bluespicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: PdC
Posts: 5,725
It's hit or miss......most of the time I tell them where I'm going and they let me through. On occasion they take my license...I give them an expired one..... not a problem.
Bluespicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeinplaya View Post
Hi! We are renting a condo in phase 2. Thinking about renting a car for a week to do some day trips. Does anyone out there know what the current procedures are for getting in and out of the main gate for a renter with a rental car? We have heard that you need a Playacar ID card from the condo owner...we have heard that they take your drivers license everytime you come into Playacar phase 2 and hold it until you go back out even if that is for a day or 2...
Does anyone know the current procedure?
Any info would be appreciated. Even a phone number to call to ask...we don't speak Spanish but maybe someone there would speak English....
Thanks in advance. You guys have always been so helpful!
Speak with your landlord about it. If all of his HOA, etc. fees are paid up, he should have what you need to get in and out of the gate. Now whether or not he will let you use his pass is another story.
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4 (permalink)
way into it
 
wannabeinplaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dundas, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 100
Hi Al, our landlord has left us with their Condominio Playacar photo id card. Is this what you mean by their "pass"? If so, is showing this to the guard at the main gate enogh to get us in and out without leaving this card or a driver's license with them?
wannabeinplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5 (permalink)
beachaholic
 
AZGonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 252
Have the landlord or property manager contact the HOA to get you a folio number just in case. Usually, you can just say “AirBNB” and the name of the community within Playacar and they will let you through.

But...there was a recent break in that caused a stir. They just fired the entire security company for that community because they weren’t 100% sure it wasn’t an inside job. Because of that, I think security at the general gates may start cracking down so be prepared.
AZGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6 (permalink)
añejo
 
absoluteAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Latitude 20.6326 Longitude 87.0685
Posts: 14,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeinplaya View Post
Hi Al, our landlord has left us with their Condominio Playacar photo id card. Is this what you mean by their "pass"? If so, is showing this to the guard at the main gate enogh to get us in and out without leaving this card or a driver's license with them?
Again, I will defer to your landlord. Ask him.
absoluteAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7 (permalink)
añejo
 
mfl*s queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Far North Chicago Suburbs/Playa
Posts: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeinplaya View Post
Hi Al, our landlord has left us with their Condominio Playacar photo id card. Is this what you mean by their "pass"? If so, is showing this to the guard at the main gate enogh to get us in and out without leaving this card or a driver's license with them?
I think you will have to leave something with them, unless you have the gate pass, which only the owner can get. We have an Owners Card, a Card which is good for the Reef Club, and a little gadget for the gates.
mfl*s queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8 (permalink)
way into it
 
wannabeinplaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dundas, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 100
Thanks everyone for your posts.... Our owners do not have a car here and have never rented one while they are here so they cannot advise us on what the procedure is for renters with rental cars.
We do have their Playacar Photo ID card that is also good for the Reef Club but I am gathering that may not be enough to get us in and out without having to leave something like a drivers license......
Has anyone out there that is a current renter in Playacar Phase 2 with a rental car been through the main gate in the last day or two?
What was your experience? What did they ask for?
Any info would be appreciated.....
Thanks.
wannabeinplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9 (permalink)
way into it
 
wannabeinplaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dundas, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfl*s queen View Post
I think you will have to leave something with them, unless you have the gate pass, which only the owner can get. We have an Owners Card, a Card which is good for the Reef Club, and a little gadget for the gates.
Thank you....we only have the card, not the gate gadget. Our owners don't have a car......
wannabeinplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10 (permalink)
way into it
 
wannabeinplaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dundas, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGonzo View Post
Have the landlord or property manager contact the HOA to get you a folio number just in case. Usually, you can just say “AirBNB” and the name of the community within Playacar and they will let you through.

But...there was a recent break in that caused a stir. They just fired the entire security company for that community because they weren’t 100% sure it wasn’t an inside job. Because of that, I think security at the general gates may start cracking down so be prepared.
Thanks.....totally understand the need for security....will see if our owner can make a call for us.....
wannabeinplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #11 (permalink)
añejo
 
mfl*s queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Far North Chicago Suburbs/Playa
Posts: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeinplaya View Post
Thank you....we only have the card, not the gate gadget. Our owners don't have a car......
Why not just leave a license with them? They give it back when you leave. We did that before we got the gate gadget.
mfl*s queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #12 (permalink)
way into it
 
wannabeinplaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dundas, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfl*s queen View Post
Why not just leave a license with them? They give it back when you leave. We did that before we got the gate gadget.
Hi...you are right....we will just see what they want and comply....we were just a little uncomfortable leaving a drivers license but if you had no issues getting yours back....we will give it a try! Thank you!
wannabeinplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #13 (permalink)
añejo
 
mfl*s queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Far North Chicago Suburbs/Playa
Posts: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeinplaya View Post
Hi...you are right....we will just see what they want and comply....we were just a little uncomfortable leaving a drivers license but if you had no issues getting yours back....we will give it a try! Thank you!
No issues, at all. They give you a laminated number in exchange, so when you leave they just exchange that for the license. Just don’t loose the number!
mfl*s queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #14 (permalink)
way into it
 
wannabeinplaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dundas, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfl*s queen View Post
No issues, at all. They give you a laminated number in exchange, so when you leave they just exchange that for the license. Just don’t loose the number!
Thanks Cathy! Which gate do u use? The one by Sams, Across from Soriana or 10th Ave? We know the one right across from us near Casa Sofia in for gadget equipped cars only.....
wannabeinplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #15 (permalink)
añejo
 
mfl*s queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Far North Chicago Suburbs/Playa
Posts: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeinplaya View Post
Thanks Cathy! Which gate do u use? The one by Sams, Across from Soriana or 10th Ave? We know the one right across from us near Casa Sofia in for gadget equipped cars only.....
Correct, you cannot use the gate by Casa Sofia. You can use either of the other 2, as long as you exit the same one you came in. We typically used the one across from Centro Maya, as it was more convenient for us. And, the laminated number is only good for 24 hours.
mfl*s queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.